Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is civ2 using 100% of my cpu?

?
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

It's normal.

Comment

I think the reason behind it is that Civ 2 is using a custom system for retrieving input. Windows has non-blocking functions for this stuff, but I am guessing that Brian Reynolds programmed the game with a custom message loop that does block and a such would take 100% even on a 10 GHz computer.

Comment

Oh
        Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

he he
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

old programming !!!!!
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

We have found that if you want other things running while you're playing, it's best to start them all prior to firing up the game. We've have experienced a few problems starting other programs once civ is up and running.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i know deity often has problems when hosting and having other programs loaded, especially icq and msn...

i never encountered this sort of thing, my machine not the most modern it is about 12 months old..... but i seem to be able t orun as many programs as i want , often playing a MP game and posting at poly at same time and doing graphical stuff with screen prints and playing music....

Comment

We don't always have problems, just every now an then.
                  ICQ phone seemed to be one that caused the most problem. If you started the phone conversation prior to loading the game, everything was usually ok. If you tried to initiate a conversation after the game started, sometime there would be a problem.

It's my theory that if someone can surf an post at poly between turns on a regular basis. THE OTHER PLAYERS ARE TAKING TOO DAMN MUCH TIME FOR THEIR TURNS>
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I never had any problems. Windows seem capable of reallocating processor time from Civ to other programs, so it takes 100% only if it is the only thing running.

I think Alpha Centauri also did the same. It would be cool if someone could check for Civ III, how much processor time does it take on your turn, while you are not doing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      ICQ phone seemed to be one that caused the most problem. If you started the phone conversation prior to loading the game, everything was usually ok. If you tried to initiate a conversation after the game started, sometime there would be a problem.

It's my theory that if someone can surf an post at poly between turns on a regular basis. THE OTHER PLAYERS ARE TAKING TOO DAMN MUCH TIME FOR THEIR TURNS>
                      That's because Raz is not a Crooks and Pikes player

He's a serious civ player...

Especially serious about nukes...
                      "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                      *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Sitting waiting for Deity to move his hundreds of caravans is boring

7 player dip game scan be slow sometimes wiating for your turn in late stages of games, so i just find sometihng else to do, cant be bothered with the Micromanagment side of thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by deity

That's because Raz is not a Crooks and Pikes player

He's a serious civ player...

Especially serious about nukes...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM NUKES.....

Wheres that Rocketry Tech I Need !!!!!!

Comment

Fast players can be serious also.

And yes, late in the game, it's expected that some turns will be longer, but that shouldn't be an excuse.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can't even imagin a 7 person diplo game in it's late stages where one turn a night is the norm. But I guess it must make it easier to schedule... because you really don't need to be present for most of the full turn
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X