Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatibility

hi everybody
    I have a problem with civ2. It doesn't want to work with xp eventhough i told it to run with win 98 compatibility (even tried with 95)
    it seems there is a problem with wing.dll. I tried to put the file mùyself in the windows\system repertory but don't work still. Please help me i die to play to civ 2

You need to get the latest WinG and Indeo drivers to run under XP - I believe they are available from the Microsoft site...

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I have just loaded Civ2 & Civ2MP onto my spanking brand new Win XP (Home) laptop ...

Civ2 plays straight out of the box with no Cd - falls over with the standard ir41.dll error with the cd - get the indeo (4) codecs from the web ) game runs smooth as silk - only problem does not report how many shields needed after a camel goes into a WoW ... cannot load popup error - but who cares -- all features heralds, advisors, wows etc working fine...

Stu

Comment

So (in a spirit of pure interest only ), you can install Civ 2 from the CD fine, but if you try to play with the CD in the drive then it gives you errors?

Comment

Stu,

Happiness is a new computer; congratulations and many rip roaring sessions to follow....

There doesn't seem to be any logic to those gliches except a bad install or a bad CD. Get all the fingerprints from the years of use off the CD and reinstall. Sounds silly, I know, but it may help. Hope so anyway.

Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I'm still waiting for my laptop to arrive!
            I forgot to bring the confirmation print-out from my order into work today so I can't check how it's getting on, but I'm expecting it at the end of this week/beginning of next.

I remember being told that happiness was a warm gun, but I am happy to compromise with a new computer.

Comment

duke,

As I got older I found that the warmth of the gun did not matter so much.

YOUR milage may vary....

Monk

Comment

The Magic Indeo File

appears to be ... indeo 451

Stu
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: The Magic Indeo File

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                  appears to be ... indeo 451

Stu
                  What are you saying?? YOU are missing this file?? This file CAUSED the problem??

Monk

Comment

delana, there is a thread about the Wing problems:

I've seen several posts like this one.... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3863&highlight=WinG+AND+load+AND+failure When I installed Cedric Greene's excellent patch (MGE to FW) today, I had the error message "WinG Load Failure" when I tried to start the civ2.exe...

I hope it will be useful for you
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Thank you Stu

I 've downloaded the files from somewhere else than the indeo site... why should i pay for a game that i baught and was working good ( and they wonder why people are using p2p?)
                      And i changed the wing.dll and now it's working perfectly. I didn't tried with the cd butwho needs it?
                      I knew when i discovered the apolyton site that i did found a rare pearl. Thank you to Stu who gave the good answer (and plus very fast )and to everybody working or contributuing to the site.

Comment

Welcome to the comunity, then!

You can download patches to convert your version to either FW or MGE version, and you can join the multiple kind of games there:

- The sucession games in the Civ2-General
                        - The PBEMs games in the Civ2-PBEMs
                        - The progressive games in the Hosted Site-Spanish Site (they're played in English )
                        - The early landing games
                        - The demogames (one generic, one Red Front demogame, and one [shameless plug]very fun Exodus demogame[/shamelessplus]

and much more

EDITED: To add the demogames!
                        Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Welcome delano - you will enjoy life here

Monk - no this is the indeo fix file - you got the wrong end of the stick - my system is working fine now having overcome a few small initial irritations.

delano again - yes it is seriously irritating that indeo are no charging for their material - but the codecs (which is all we need) are available free from third party sources - sounds rather like a falling out between intel and indeo ...

Stu

Comment

/me notes potential XP problems; d/l file in advance just in case.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Yes - I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this thread for when my laptop arrives. Annoyingly, Dell's website order tracker thingummybob now tells me that the projected delivery date is now a week away! I ordered it on 30th December, and it's being built in Ireland so God knows why it's taking so long. Maybe they haven't researched Mass Production yet.... Or the specifications I chose were really odd.

Comment

Working...
                              X