OCC Comparison game #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Comparison game #3

Since it looks highly unlikely that I shall receive the only succession game I'm involved in before Christmas while I've got loads of Civ time on my hands every evening, I decided to launch another OCC comparison.
    This ought to keep me out of mischief in that time though. It all came about as a result of my downloading Underdark to take home, and it not working properly. So, I thought of playing a quick OCC and put some starts together. This baby (about the twenty fifth) is very promising, and should provoke some interesting comparisons between playing styles.

We're the Celts, and start off on a 4-special location:
    hidden silk, coal, buffalo and whale if I recall correctly.
    I haven't got a screenshot of the start, but there's a hut next to our two settlers, and a far amount of river.
    Intriguingly, though, there is another 4-special site a little further north. This shares the hidden silk and the whale, but also offers two fish. You have the choice of the improved production possibilities of the southerly site, and the quicker start, or of the better growth potential and greater trade of the northerly site. The northerly site would allow a harbour and boats for those who want to trade further afield, but this must be held against the poor production of all the sea squares. I'm afraid that I can't remember whether we start with any techs. Maybe someone could open the save and tell me.
    I haven't played this yet, so we're all starting off level.
    Just submit as and when you want, with the usual information.

Good luck!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by duke o' york; December 18, 2003, 05:18.

I get a "Failure to load" with my Classic/2.42 version, so I guess this must be MPG?

You beat me by a week; I was going to post another OCC start next week just before Christmas. Mine has something like 15 river tiles in a double box shape, with Pheasant and two hidden Silks on rivers, and a bonus Gold. Takes a little time to get to...

Comment

OK I give up. Whatever happend to OCC #3?
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

(I think he's counting EL #6 = OCC #3: a few of us played it as OCC)

Comment

Re: OCC Comparison game #4

Originally posted by duke o' york
          Good luck!
          I click on the link to down-load and I finish up at ebay. Has the service been "improved"?

RJM at Sleeper's

[/EDIT] OK - I've got it now. [/EDIT]
          Last edited by rjmatsleepers; December 18, 2003, 03:31.
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Oops.
            I've changed the title to my first post, but we'll need mod help to change the title of the thread.

Sorry, it is MGE, so if someone can convert it then I'd be most grateful. I've got Classic, but not with any patches, at home, but don't know how to change the files over. If someone could change the file, post it here and then explain to me how it's done then that would be even better!

I didn't play any of this last night I'm afraid, but should get a start this evening. Hopefully people will need a quiet hour or two to themselves over the Christmas period and will take full advantage by playing a few turns of OCC.

Comment

Another urban legend, duke.

MGE can read Classic files but C cannot read M. There is no way to change an MGE game so that Classic will run it. You will get the "This is not a save file. Will not load" box.

Sorry. But, this will make for a more challenging game.

Patch your Classic game.

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Direct me to the patches and I may well do, but I'm not interested in playing it. I've got MGE and that's suitable for all my Civving needs at the moment. In fact, as I've said elsewhere, I've got Civ 2 on Playstation too, so that's three copies!

Comment

So it is an MGE OCC -- now that we're all handicapped to JRabbit's environs, it will be a fairer comparison for him.
                  Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

The ideas of posting comparison games in 2.42 was to be inclusive, not to make it easier. Once again I will have to lurk from the sidelines, as I am forced to do in all the sucession games as well.

I have been actively looking for MGE for Mac for about two months now. There was one copy on ebay three weeks ago but I was outbid. If anybody has any hints I would be most welcome.

Comment

Find the person who outbid you and subject them to some rigourous constructive criticism, with a whole gang of crusaders!

Sorry to have posted the save in MGE.
                      I didn't think about the differences, and it wasn't a pre-planned comparison anyway - just something that came to mind when I was fiddling around to find an appropriate starting point. Hopefully the MGE-only won't mean that far fewer people play this, but I apologise to those left out.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                        Direct me to the patches and I may well do, but I'm not interested in playing it.
                        Having a game without its patches is like getting a new suit off the rack and not having it altered to fit...somewhat.

So, just for you, this is thru google for Civ2. Move down the page to patches/updates and click 2.42. OCC or SXN will get a wider range of players under 2.42; it is not about making it harder.

Happy Holidays....

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Grigor,

I might be able to locate a copy of MGE for the MAC for you. I sent a copy to my nephew as a present a few years back, but since he has converted from MAC to PC, he will no longer need the MAC disc. If he hasn't lost it or thrown it away, I will ask him to mail it to you. All I need is a mailing address from you, if you care to email it to me.

2.42 users,

I have just finished my game using MGE, landing in 1827, (1826 save is attached, log will come later) so now may be able to go back and use the game map to reproduce a start compatible with 2.42. (I have not tried doing this before, but "think" I know how to go about doing this).

This game was interesting, since there was a variety of SSC sites to pick among. I ended up using a different one than either suggested by Duke. Mine had a silk, a hidden silk, a fish, with remaining tiles split among grass and ocean, making every tile suitable for trade. Size 29 was achieved without using farmland.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a start compatible with 2.42. Your starting position as the Celts is identical to that in the MGE game. There were some differences among the AI civs, as some were not named or located as I specified on the map. I don't know why some civ names or starting locations were changed, and maybe someone who really knows can clue me in. I did check starting techs, which are roughly the same as in the MGE game. The Celts had none, but all AI had two or more, with one of them even having five or six. This gave the AI a good headstart in this game. I found myself playing catchup for quite awhile.

In any event, 2.42 plays differently than MGE, so even an identical start in every way will not attain parity among game versions. Enough said, so here it is, and enjoy your games:

edited to note that I found a better way. Check for an exact copy of the start a few posts down, if you'd prefer to use it
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by solo; December 19, 2003, 21:43.

Comment

I have "reverse engineered" starts by using MapEditor to save a copy of the original map with civ locations marked, then retrying the "Start on Premade World" setting until the number of settlers and starting techs are the same as the original. Takes some fiddling in Cheat mode to check things, but I'm doing it for others, not myself.

I think I'll leave this one fallow a couple weeks until I forget your comments on the start, Solo...

Comment

Working...
                              X