No announcement yet.

coastal defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing about using spies in this manner is that it can be done in peacetime w/o ill effects. You will occasionally lose one, however, which considering the spy can never kill the enemy ship should make you choosy about picking your targets.

Did I read somewhere that the defense multiplier for AEGIS vs CM higher than AEGIS vs aircraft? D×5 instead of D×2?

+200% vs. air, +400% vs. missiles.

What happens when Marines attack from a transport?
    Does the defender get the bonus from the City Walls or the Coastal Fortress? (or both??)

Bonus from the City Walls.

I disagree. My experience has shown it to be from coastal defences.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

Bonus from the City Walls.
      [/q]

I disagree. My experience has shown it to be from coastal defences.
      Perhaps it's either/or, perhaps both
      Has anyone achieved conclusive testing ?
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

No testing (and I don't use marines very often), but shouldn't the standard text "Coastal fortress doubles defence!" (or whatever it says) pop up if the fortress takes the heat of the attack?

Carolus

Comment

Sometime long long ago somebody did test this and I'm pretty sure City Walls are effective against Marines, which only makes them that much more useless.

Comment

I have a printout from the GL that says marines will allways count as land units therefor only the city walls option applies.

Also another printout says AEGIS gets X3 vs airraft and X5 agains units with the "destroy after attack" flag.
            Wizards sixth rule:
            "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
            Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Here is a snip from the current thread Info: Combat

* x2 on defense versus air (AEGIS): An AEGIS cruiser gains a x3 bonus when attacked by an air unit, x5 if the attacker is a missile (destroyed after attacking).
              * Can make amphibious assaults (marines): The unit can attack from the sea (a ship). This does not count as shore bombardment (3.9). The attacking marine does not ignore city walls (3.4).

Since this thread is still on the front page, maybe there are other nuggets that folk would enjoy reading about. Much thought and testing went into developing this thread. If someone has different, tested results about AEGIS or marines, I feel confident that the Marquis would like to hear from you.

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
                Sometime long long ago somebody did test this and I'm pretty sure City Walls are effective against Marines, which only makes them that much more useless.
                Yep. They're good defenders, though, and I customized a unit (shock troops) that appears later in the game that can do amphibious assaults while ignoring all walls and coastal defenses.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                X