• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers
    But every day in every way I'm getting better and better
    RJM at Sleeper's
    So am I

Perhaps you might be our President (and I could be Secretary General)

"The (yacht)club of those who get better and better"
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers
      Get thee behind me Satan.
      Close, RJM, but the name is solo! Good to see you and to see La Fayette back for another game.

Welcome to Old n Slow. I hope you enjoy trying this style of play.

Comment

AC landing 1835

Here are the summary stats - save and commentary to follow.

RJM at Sleeper's

Governments

Monarchy 2150 BC
        Republic AD 60
        Democracy AD 1540 (and again AD 1828)

Wonders

ST AD 460
        Colossus 725 BC
        Copernicus AD 20
        Isaac's AD 1280
        Darwin's AD 1640
        Apollo AD 1802
        Hoover AD 1760

SSC stats

size 8 AD 300
        size 12 AD 600
        size 21 AD 780
        max. size AD 1800 (26)

Techs

Trade 1300 BC
        Invention AD 780
        Railroad AD 1300
        Automobile AD 1620
        Nuclear Power AD 1660
        Computers AD 1760
        Flight AD 1764
        Space Flight AD 1784

AC arrival AD 1835
        Last edited by rjmatsleepers; November 8, 2003, 03:23.
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I chose to use the starting position as my SSC. I like to avoid any knowledge of the map that is not gained in the course of the game (ie no black clicking, no hut finder, take no notice of suggested SSC site in the starting post). Rather than spend forever searching, I take the best SSC site available when I have 4 caravans ready to build the collossus. In this case, the starting site gives trade arrows from every tile so that was good enough for me. I renamed it to Liverpool after I had chosen it as the SSC.

The good news was that almost every van delivery was demanded. They gave me lots of gold, but didn't help as much with research as they should have done. I was mostly around 2 turns per tech and my deliveries didn't give me enough to trigger a discovery while my SSC was providing enough beakers for the next discovery. Also I didn't get a good ship chain going.

I remembered the lesson from SG(2) and built Darwin's in a more recent city.

My biggest mistake was failure to find and trade with the Indians. I understand how it happened, but it was astounding carelessness.

After launch I had a little problem that (fortunately) didn't affect the landing date. I picked up an Indian city after they declared war and failed to sort out the unhappiness correctly. I consequently spent a long time in anarchy. How do OEDO years work when you've switched to a turn per year after launch? It seemed to take longer than 4 years.

I have a turgidly detailed log, so I can give more details if you're really interested.

RJM at Sleeper's
          Attached Files

Comment

My understanding of OEDO after launch is take the last Oedo before the launch and continue the XXXO pattern through the launch turn. You may have been thrown off by the switch from two year turns to one year turns. Post your log and we'll take a look.

I have begun an OCC using this start. Settled London in 3650BC; revolt to Republic in 1250BC. Started Colossus in 1900BC; should be switching to complete as Marco Polo around 800BC. Having Plains for a city square hurts the extra food production.

Comment

I have finished my EL game and here is the summary:

Governments

Republic - 1850 BC
              Democracy – 300 AD

Wonders

MPE – 1250 BC
              ST – 525 BC
              Colossus – 350 BC
              Copernicus – 125 BC
              Isaac's - 120 AD
              Darwin's – 420 AD
              Apollo – 860 AD

SSC stats

size 8 – 400 BC
              size 12 – 300 BC
              size 21 – 75 BC
              max. size - 35

Techs

Trade – 1450 BC
              Invention – 100 BC
              Railroad – 400 AD
              Automobile - 620 AD
              Nuclear Power – 720 AD
              Computers – 780 AD
              Flight – 800 AD
              Space Flight – 840 AD

Key civ contact – 1150 BC

AC arrival – 956 AD

I tried a few new things this game, but they did not work well. Barbarians were plentiful and sometimes interrupted progress.

I followed RJM’s lead by renaming my capital to Liverpool, founding it where the settlers started the game. London followed later at the suggested SSC site. This site permitted a lot of farmland and a large population, so I decided to include Refrigeration in my own tech path to maximize SSC growth. After converting most land tiles to grassland and farmland, 35 citizens were produced just before transforming the land specials to wine.

I would say that below average trade and the lack of good helper and colony management were the two things that prevented a better landing date. This excellent SSC site deserved a better effort.

Following is the log of my game:

BC years

4000 Liverpool
              3900 York
              3800 Alphabet
              3650 York – warrior
              3550 Code of Laws
              3400 Liv – settlers, Yor – warrior
              3300 Nottingham
              3200 Liv – warrior
              3150 Writing
              3000 Liv – warrior
              2850 Yor – settlers
              2800 Hastings

Originally, I had planned more cities north and west of these first few helpers, but barbarians kept interrupting progress in this direction, so I decided to cluster the remaining helpers around the SSC site, the center of which had to be converted from forest to plains, before it could be founded. Most of the helper sites did not have much of their own to make them productive and this hurt the progress of the game later on.

2750 Bronze Working
              2700 Has – warrior
              2500 Liv – settlers
              2450 Canterbury
              2400 Literacy
              2200 Yor – settlers
              2050 Not – settlers

Barbs appeared again, and many more times later on. Although there were enough defenders to hold onto cities, one was knocked down in size during an attack. Several times, settlers had to be fortified in existing cities to help protect them. They are good defenders, too, although doing this wastes their valuable time.

1950 Republic, Liv – settlers
              1900 Can – settlers, Coventry, revolution
              1850 government to Republic, London

London was the SSC and founding it was delayed by the forested central tile. The site was excellent, so it was too bad that helpers could not be as productive, which is why more helpers than usual were added.

The first experiment in this game was to control helper happiness only with luxuries, the idea being to delay their temples and/or colosseums until luxuries were no longer needed for SSC “we love” growth. This allowed more production to go into caravans and ended up speeding up early trade and SSC development, but it turned out that a luxury setting of 30% was needed to sustain happy helpers. I think it might have been a better idea to try the HG or earlier temples instead.

I also decided on early Republic in this game, since opportunities for collecting tribute were limited by starting on a separate island. Republic was gifted to each AI on first contact, too, to speed up their research.

1700 Currency
              1450 Trade
              1400 Liv – food
              1350 Yor – food
              1250 Has – Marco Polo’s Embassy, Not – silk, Celts – trade for Map Making and Ceremonial Burial, share maps

After building MPE, I could see that the AI had the usual collection of available techs, including: Ceremonial Burial, Horseback Riding, Map Making, Pottery, Warrior Code, Masonry, Mysticism, and The Wheel. Three AI were in the process of learning Mathematics, Iron Working and Construction, so building MPE as the first wonder was worth while.

I usually maximize my own science setting throughout EL games, but in this one decided to use less science early on, hoping that this would give the AI more time to learn techs on my behalf, allowing me to use more resources for luxuries and economic development. At first, this plan worked very well, but later on, the AI kept picking useless or known techs for their research choices, and were practically no help at all in acquiring new techs during the second half of the game.

1200 Cov – trireme, French – trade for Mysticism, share maps
              1150 Indians – trade for The Wheel, give tech, share maps
              1100 Lon – hides, Can – trireme
              1050 Aztecs – peace, trade for Iron Working, give tech, share maps
              1000 Americans – trade for Construction, give tech, share maps
              925 Not – diplomat, Yor – hides

Yet more barbs on the horizon, so a diplomat was needed.

900 Lon – beads, Zulus – trade for Mathematics, give tech, share maps
              850 Americans – give tech, share maps, silk(d) to Delhi, 205g
              825 Lon – hides, Has – wine
              800 Cov – beads, Philosophy, Engineering, Liv – silk, hides(d) to Madras, 216g
              775 Lon – marketplace, Can – beads
              750 Not – trireme
              725 Bridge Building

There was a lot to do to get London ready, so this tech was given more priority than usual. I had 3 settlers working on London’s tiles.

700 wine(d) to Delhi, 220g, Indians – give tech, share maps
              675 Lon – dye, Medicine, beads(d) to Madras, 248g
              650 silk(d) to Madras, 264g, Newcastle

Newcastle was the first colony, built on the continent shared by the Celts and Aztecs. As with helpers, colonies in this game did not perform very well.

625 University, Lon – silk, Has – copper, barb leader – 150g

Finally 150g in compensation for all their harassment.

600 Liv – dye, Americans – trade for Astronomy, Celts – war
              575 Lon – library, Not – silver, Yor – dye
              550 Lon – salt, Cov – silk, Can – hides, Celts – peace, trade for Seafaring, beads(d) to Tenochitlin, 240g, hides(d) to Carmarthen, 232g

525 New – diplomat, Lon – Shakespeare’s Theater, we love begins, Chemistry, barb legion bribed, 82g, Zulus – give tech, peace, share maps

Barbs were also strangely attracted to my first colony, Newcastle, too, where a diplomat became the first priority! In spite of barb troubles, London was off to a very good start, and at this time I thought this game might still have some hopes for an excellent landing date, perhaps challenging the 500 AD barrier. It would take a lot of luck, though.

500 beads(d) to Tlateloclo, 248g
              475 New – copper, Lon – harbor, hides(d) to Zimbabwe, 344g
              450 Sanitation, Has – copper, silk(d) to Bombay, 450g
              425 New – temple, Lon – university, Not – dye, Yor – dye, Liv – beads
              400 Cov – silk, Can – silk, Lon – size 8
              375 Lon – aqueduct
              350 Lon – Colossus
              325 New – diplomat, salt(d) to Teotihuacan, 468g, riot incited in Rheims for 291g, 79g plundered along with Banking, French – give tech, peace, share maps

Rheims was the second colony, well positioned on the French continent. It seemed more efficient to bribe an existing AI city rather than build a settler and transport it across the map to found a colony. For the third colony, I had my eyes on the Celt city of Armagh, but when I was ready to buy it, it was size 8 and the cost was over 1100 gold, which was no longer a bargain. It’s amusing to see that the AI are quite ready to make peace right after you’ve stolen one of their best cities! This is one of the most endearing qualities exhibited by the AI and I doubt that a human opponent would react in the same way!

300 Rhe – temple, Lon – sewer system, size 12, Aztecs – give tech, share maps, copper(d) to Paris, 56g

250 Lon – cloth, Has – silk, Liv – dye, Economics, dye(d) to Ulundi, 522g

225 Lon – bank, Can – silk, Not – dye, Yor – dye

Here is where I blew any chance for an excellent result. Since the AI turned out to be good for only a few more techs, it was time to build Copernicus immediately, and put temples in helpers so that science could be maxed out. In this game, I prioritized economic development, instead, building a stock exchange next in the SSC.

175 Cov – silk
              150 Lon – stock exchange
              125 New – dye, Lon – Copernicus’s Observatory, Cov – harbor, copper(d) to Carmarthen, 264g, Celts – give tech, share maps

100 Rhe – gems, Invention
              75 Lon – salt, size 21, Cov – colosseum, Can – harbor, Liv – beads

London was already size 21 in BC years, which was good progress, but I had big plans and now it was a race to Explosives so that I could make 4 engineers and get them working on the SSC tiles.

50 Has – hides, Not – dye, Yor – dye, cloth(d) to Newcastle, 352g
              25 Lon – dye, Has – colosseum, Not – colosseum, Yor – coloseeum, Indians – give tech, share maps

Happiness control with temples/colosseums had been delayed far too long, wasting luxuries that could have been better used for faster research.

AD Years

20 New – hides, Can – silk, silk(d) to Carmarthen, 234g
              40 Rhe – dye, Has – harbor, Yor – harbor, Indians – trade for Democracy, Zulus – give tech, share maps

60 Can – colosseum, Liv – dye, Gunpowder, dye(d) to Delhi, 88g, French & Aztecs – give tech, share maps

80 Has – temple, Yor – temple, salt(d) to Teotihuacan, 464g
              100 Lon – cloth, Cov – silk, Can – temple, Explosives, Liv – temple, dye(d) to Bombay, 448g, Celtic trireme bribed, 196g

With this NON trireme, I planned to anchor off Armagh and wait for the Democracy revolution, so I could bribe it as my first colony.

120 New – engineers, Rhe – engineers, Lon – Sir Isaac Newton’s College, Not – engineers, Yor – engineers, Americans – trade for Navigation, give tech, share maps

140 Lon – gold, Cov – temple, Can – engineers, Metallurgy, Has – engineers, Liv – harbor, Indians – give tech, share maps

160 Lon – gems
              180 Conscription, Indians – give tech, share maps
              200 Lon – dye, Aztecs – trade for Feudalism, give tech, share maps, Celts – give tech, share maps

220 Physics, hides(d) to Delhi, 100g
              240 New – harbor, gold(d) to Bombay, 592g
              260 Rhe – colosseum, Lon – courthouse, Magnetism
              280 New – colosseum, Steam Engine, gems(d) to Madras, 676g, revolution

Now I had about 1000g and was ready to bribe Armagh, but succumbed to sticker shock, as over 1100 gold was wanted for my intended third colony.

300 government to Democracy, Lon – temple, we love resumes, Cov – silk, Aztecs – trade for Horseback Riding, Indians – give tech, share maps

I needed to reset the tech list and figured I would need Horseback Riding later to learn Chivalry. Of course, once I had this tech, one of the AI started studying Chivalry themselves! Oh well!

320 Electricity, New – diplomat, Has – gems, Not – dye, Yor – dye, barb elephant bribed, 82g, leader – 150g

340 Lon – food, Can – silk, Liv – dye, Celts – give tech, share maps
              360 Refrigeration, Not – temple

This experiment with refrigeration and using SSC farmland for more scientists worked very well, but it required having 4 engineers working full time on the SSC tiles in order to get London to maximum size by the time Automobile was discovered. In games without a chance for a railroad connection to an AI city, I think that having extra scientists by using Refrigeration is worthwhile. Otherwise quite a few helpers and colonies would need scientific improvements in order to secure 1 turn advances.

380 Indians – give tech, share maps, Lon – food, Liv – colosseum, French & Zulus – give tech, share maps

400 Lon – supermaket, Railroad
              420 Lon – Darwin’s Voyage, Atomic Theory, Industrialization, Has – rifleman, dye(d) to Ulundi, 104g, French – give tech, share maps

Hastings was facing barbs again. This time a defender was needed since the approaching barb had a leader and couldn’t be bribed using a diplomat.

440 Corporation, Lon – gold
              460 Zulus – give tech, share maps, Can – transport, dye(d) to Zimbabwe, 472g
              480 Rhe – oil, we love begins in all helpers and colonies, Lon – dye, Refining, Yor – transport, barb elephant bribed – 82g, barb leader - 150g, barb knight bribed – 82g

500 New – diplomat, barb knight bribed – 82g, leader – 150g, Not – transport, Cov – transport

Instead of getting a break, barb activities near Hastings and Newcastle became even more intense!

520 Has – transport
              540 Steel
              580 Lon – food, dye(d) to Marseilles, 464g
              600 Rhe – colosseum, Combustion, Cov – engineer, Oxford, gold(d) to Marseilles, 492g, we love ends with London at size 35

Oxford was a minimal helper used to collect SSC wonder bread. SSC commodities had been blocked by trades to Madras earlier in the game, a large AI city with a lot of trade arrows. Size 35 for an SSC is a record for me in EL games. The extra scientists/tax collectors became very useful. The last transformation in London was already underway: the conversion of the two land specials into wine. One of these had started as silk, and then was watered to wheat, then transformed to grass and finally wine.

620 Lon – dye, Automobile, Stratford, gems(d) to Boston – 308g
              640 Lon – superhighways, Electronics, Celts – trade for Chivalry, share maps, Indians – give tech, share maps

The plan of having the SSC, helpers and colonies at full size and strength by Automobile worked out, but it was already 640 AD, behind the pace of more successful games. With science maxed out, the SSC was producing 1296 beakers! It’s too bad that not enough trade could be whipped up to cruise in with 2 advances for each turn. Trading opportunities were not as good as in earlier EL games. Without prospects of an excellent result, not as much care or effort as would be usual was expended during the rest of this game.

660 Str – transport, Mass Production, Can – gold, Has – gems, Not – silver, Yor – gems, Liv – oil, dye(d) to Marseilles, 322g

680 Lon – food, Leadership, Aztecs – give tech, share maps, gems(d) to Newcastle, 246g, oil(d) to Newcastle, 322g, Celts – give tech, share maps

700 Rhe – hides, Lon – gold, Nuclear Fission, Cov – silk, Str – transport, French – give tech, share maps

720 New – gold, Rhe – superhighways, Lon – wool, Has – wine, Nuclear Power, Not – gems, Yor – cloth, Liv – dye, Can – transport, oil(d) to Lon, 970g, gems(d) to Kells, 396g, Indians – give tech, share maps

740 Str – temple, Tactics, New – superhighways, Lon – mass transit, Cov – gems, Machine Tools, wool(d) to Tours, 672g, gold(d) to Marseilles, 928g

760 Laser, Rhe – hides, Lon – wool, Can – dye, Has – dye, Not – beads, Yor – dye, Liv – cloth, Miniaturization, barb leader – 150g, gold(d) to Liverpool, 434g, wine(d) to Marseilles, 290g, silver(d) to Lyons, 215g

780 Str - coal, New – wine, Cov – food, Computers, gems(d) to Newcastle, 470g, dye(d) to Carmarthen, 340g, beads(d) to Kells, 264g, dye(d) to Tlateloclo, 176g, wool(d) to Tours, 672g, Indians – give tech, share maps

800 Flight, Rhe – hides, Lon – research lab, Radio, Can – gems, Yor – beads, Liv – food, Celts –trade for Monarchy, Indians – give tech, share maps, dye(d) to Paris, 139g

With a research lab, those extra SSC scientists really start to pay off. SSC science now maxed out at 1424 beakers, even after Flight cancelled the Colossus.

820 Str – gems, New – food, Lon – wool, Has – wine, Advanced Flight, Not – dye, hides to London, 204g, coal(d) to London, 377g, wool(d) to Tlateloclo, 532g, silk(d) to Bombay, 212g, cloth(d) to Caernarfon, 197g

840 Rocketry, New – food, Rhe – copper, Lon – gold, Cov – dye, Can – food, Space Flight, Yor – food, Liv – food, dye(d) to Madras, 126g, hides to London, 204g, gold(d) to Besancon, 474g, wine(d) to Besancon, 280g, cloth(d) to Besancon, 107g, wine(d) to Marseilles, 194g, dye(d) to Chartres, 62g, Celts – trade for Warrior Code, Indians – give tech

860 Str – dye, Oxf – Apollo Program, New – food, Rhe – dye, Plastics, Lon – wool, Has – gems, Not – food, hides to London, 204g, Copper to London, 204g

880 Str – C #1, Superconductor, Oxf – S #1, New – S #2, Rhe – S #3, Lon – S #4, Cov – food, Can – food, Has – S #5, Not – S #6, Yor – food, Liv – oil, wool(d) to Hlobane, 672g, dye to London, 204g

900 Str – food, Oxf – S #7, New – S #8, Rhe – S #9, Lon – S #10, Fusion Power, Cov – S #11, Can – food, Has – S #12, Not – food, Yor – food, Liv – C #2

920 Str – S #13, New – S #14, Rhe – S #15, Lon – M #1, Can – M #2, Has – M #3, launch 15-1-1-1-1-1

956 arrival on Alpha Centauri

The save was made at the turn of the launch. I think I will try the OCC version, too.
              Attached Files

Comment

RJM,

Now that I've finished my game and posted it, I have a chance to look your's over. Your logs (and games) are always interesting, so a log would be fun to read.

I agree with Elephant about Oedo timing while waiting for a landing, the 4-turn cycle continues irregardless of what year it is.

Will you also play it again as an OCC game?

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone will find this log very entertaining, but here it is. My government collapsed in 1822 and I re-established Democracy in 1828. It felt much longer at the time!

RJM at Sleeper's

4000 BC
                  Decide to build Liverpool at the starting location. Move 2nd settler NW towards river.
                  Start reseaching alphabet.

3850 BC
                  Camelot founded at (78,40). Alphabet -> CB

3450 BC
                  We are wealthiest civ (with 19 gold!)

3200 BC
                  Bronze -> CoL

3000 BC
                  Found Avalon at (83,41). Rush phalanx in Liverpool

2950 BC
                  Start Temple in Liverpool

2700 BC
                  hit enter after 4 reloads for the hut. CoL -> monarchy

2600 BC
                  Winchester founded at (79,35)

2450 BC
                  hit enter pop 100k (1st)

2350 BC
                  Complete Temple in Liverpool. Trade is at least 14 turns away, but monarchy may improve that. Start barracks for conversion to market place.

2200 BC
                  monarchy -> currency

2100 BC
                  revolt to monarchy

2050 BC
                  Start of English monarchy. Currency still 9 turns away. Sacrifice everything to discovering currency before completion of barracks.

1900 BC
                  Hirodotus reports we are largest civ with pop 150k.

1800 BC
                  currency -> trade. switch to market in Liverpool

1450 BC
                  Complete (non optimal) road network joining all cities ready for caravan traffic.

1350 BC
                  Avalon completes temple and New Lonon market place. Both start settlers to switch to vans on discovery of trade.

1300 BC
                  trade -> writing (after much heart searching). Switch to vans in Liverpool and Avalon

1150 BC
                  Camelot completes temple and starts final van for collossus

1100 bc
                  Liverpool grows to size 4 and needs an entertainer.

975 bc
                  build beads in Liverpool for Winchester to get some money even though it delays collossus.

950 BC
                  start Liverpool celebrating for van delivery

925 BC
                  writing -> mysticism. Beads (D) Liverpool - Winchester (28) sliders to 10-60-30 to maintain celebration

850 BC
                  Americans start HG

775 BC
                  Livy reports we are 3rd most advanced civ Mysticism -> masonry

750 BC
                  4 vans to Liverpool for Collossus

725 BC
                  Liverpool builds Colossus and starts library

700 BC
                  Aztecs start HG

650 BC
                  Hides (D) Avalon - Liverpool (28)

625 BC
                  Masonry -> Literacy

600 BC
                  Hides (D) Winchester - Liverpool (44)

550 BC
                  Wine (D) Camelot -> Liverpool (44) rush build library in Liverpool

525 BC
                  Literacy -> Mathematics. Barb archer apears to east of Avalon and Liverpool. Switch to Phalanx in Camelot to protect Avalon

500 BC
                  Pop 400k. Move Phalanx to Avalon and rehome. Disband Avalon's warrior

475 BC
                  Celts start HG and French start Pyramids

450 BC
                  2nd barb archer appears

425 BC
                  Our phalanx loses to Barb archer move another phalanx from Liverpool and start to panic. Hides (D) Camelot - Liverpool (40) phalanx again loses to archer Mathematics -> philosophy Aztecs complete HG; everyone switches to lighthouse

400 BC
                  Barb archer kills our settler and the other demands 50 ransom to spare Avalon (which I pay) Fortunately both archers go away

300 BC
                  Philosophy -> Astronomy -> Medicine

275 BC
                  Indians start great wall

225 BC
                  Horoditus says we are 3rd largest civ

200 BC
                  Indians build pyramids and French change to great wall

125 BC
                  Pop now 500k

100 Bc
                  Gloucester founded (76,30). Medicine -> The Republic

25 BC
                  Hides (D) Winchester - Liverpool (60)

AD 1
                  6 vans into Liverpool for Copes. Republic -> construction

AD 20
                  Liverpool builds Cope's

AD 40
                  Cloth (D) Liverpool - Avalon (74). Revolt to republic

AD 60
                  English republic founded

AD 80
                  Construction -> map making

AD 120
                  Aztecs land I give them 50 gold for peace and then a couple of techs, but they won't exchange maps.

AD 140
                  Map making -> banking

AD 140
                  French build great library

AD 160
                  exchange techs for seafaring, the wheel and iron working. Form alliance with Aztecs. Exchange maps

AD 180
                  Silk (D) Winchester - Liverpool (102)

AD 200
                  Celts complete MPE

AD 260
                  Banking -> engineering

AD 340
                  Hides (D) Winchester - Liverpool (72)

AD 360
                  Engineering -> sanitation

AD 400
                  Americans build Oracle

AD 420
                  Accept 250 gold to declare war on celts

AD 440
                  6 vans into Liverpool for Shakes

AD 460
                  Liverpool builds Shakes

AD 480
                  Bede says we are 4th happiest civ - aztecs are 2nd Sanitaion -> navigation

AD 520
                  Hides (D) Winchester - Liverpool (72) pop 900k

AD 540
                  pop 1M

AD 620
                  Navigation -> university

AD 660

York founded (79,53) Hides (D) Winchester - Liverpool (54)

AD 680
                  swapped with aztecs for bridge building. pop now 2m

AD 700
                  University -> Invention

AD 780
                  Invention -> physics

AD 820
                  physics -> chemistry

AD 880
                  chemistry -> steam engine

AD 920
                  pop 3m

AD 940
                  steam engine -> magnetism

AD 980
                  Silk (D) Avalon - Teotihuacan (204) Magnetism -> gunpowder

AD 1000
                  Three barb legions camp outside Camelot

AD 1020
                  beat 2 legions, but lose to 3rd

AD 1040
                  bribe final legion. Gunpowder -> metalurgy

AD 1060
                  Thucydides reports we are 7th most powerful civ

AD 1100
                  Metallurgy -> explosives

AD 1120
                  Coal (D) Winchester - Teotihuacan (180) Silk (D) Camelot - Tenotichlan (192)

AD 1140
                  explosives -> theory of gravity

AD 1200
                  Gems (D) Winchester - Teotihuacan (212) theory of gravity->Electricity

AD 1220
                  100 for peace with celts + large number of techs for map Dye (D) Avalon - Cork (116)

AD 1240
                  Aztecs complete KRC everyone switches to Leo's

AD 1260
                  8 vans into Liverpool for Ike's Electricity -> railroad

AD 1280
                  Liverpool completes Ikes. make peace with americans and swap techs for map

AD 1300
                  railroad -> industrialization

AD 1320
                  Copper (D) Gloucester - Tenotlichlan (67)

AD 1340
                  Industrialization -> Atomic theory

AD 1400
                  Atomic theory-> economics

AD 1440
                  Norwich founded (65,45) Silk (D) York - Tintagel (160) Aztecs complete Leo's. everyone switches to Magellan's. economics -> corporation

AD 1460
                  Coal (D) Avalon - Chicago (70)

AD 1500
                  Corporation -> Democracy

AD 1510
                  Barb muskateers apear neer Avalon

AD 1520
                  Hides (D) Winchester - New York (112) bribe one muskateer. Democracy -> steel misread my oedo chart and revolted

AD 1540
                  English democracy founded Oil (ND) Liverpool - Teotihuacan (232)

AD 1550
                  we are 7th most powerful. Steel-> conscription

AD 1560
                  Hides (D) Winchester - Boston (160). Gems (D) Avalon-New York (152)

AD 1570
                  Dye (D) Liverpool-Washington (416) Cloth (D) Camelot-Boston (240) Hides (D) Winchester-Boston (172) Conscription->refining

AD 1580
                  Celts build Magellen everyone switches to Darwin's

AD 1590
                  Beads (nd) Liverpool-Washington (208)

AD 1600
                  Hides (d) Winchester-Boston (172) Combustion->Automobile

AD 1610
                  Gems (d) Camelot-Philadelphia (276) Dye (d) York-Tenochtitlan (108) Hides (d) Winchester-Boston (172)

AD 1620
                  Silk (d) Gloucester-New York (282) Automobile->electronics

AD 1630
                  Cloth (d) Avalon-Tlaxcala (165). 8 vans into Gloucester for Darwin's

AD 1640
                  York builds Darwins Electronics->Mass Production->Nuclear Fission. Silk (d) Camelot-Washington (300) Hides (d) Winchester-Boston (172) trade for horse riding and feudalism Nuclear fission->nuclear power

AD 1650
                  Hides (d) Winchester - Phiadelphia (168)

AD 1660
                  Nuclear power -> the laser

AD 1670
                  oil (d) York-Liverpool (357) Cloth (d) Avalon - Texcoco (145)

AD 1680
                  Meet indians pay 100 for peace and swap maps. Discover they were just north of us Laser->chivalry

AD 1690
                  Oil (nd) Liverpool-Washington (354)

AD 1700
                  Chivalry->Warrior code

AD 1710
                  swap with Aztecs for warrior code Gold (d) Norwich - Liverpool (408)

AD 1720
                  Dye (d) Winchester - Boston (180) Leadership->tactics

AD 1740
                  Cloth (d) Camelot-Texcoco (195) Dye (d) York - Atlanta (140) Tactics->machine tools

AD 1750
                  Cantebury founded (87,49)

AD 1752
                  Wine (d) Winchester-Tlateloco (215) machine tools->pottery

AD 1754
                  Swap with Aztecs for pottery. Cloth (d) Gloucester-Texcoco (205)

AD 1756
                  Give techs for peace with Zulus Miniturization->computers

AD 1758
                  Oil (d) Camelot-Texcoco (273) Silk (d) Norwich-Bombay (78) Buy a few shields to complete Hoover

AD 1760
                  Liverpool completes Hoover. Computers->Flight

AD 1764
                  Liverpool hits 1224 beakers per turn Cloth (d) Camelot-Tlatelolco (245) Wine (d) Winchester-Tlatelolco (215) Cloth (d) Avalon-Tlatelolco (210) Flight->radio

AD 1766
                  Liverpool drops to 952 beakers per turn

AD 1768
                  radio -> advanced flight

AD 1770
                  Dye (d) Winchester-Tenotchitlan (88)

AD 1772
                  Advanced flight -> mobile warfare

AD 1774
                  Cloth (d) Liverpool-Tlatelolco (565) Wine (d) Winchester-Tlatelolco (154) mobile warfare->rocketry

AD 1780
                  Gems (d) Avalon-NY (140) Rocketry->space flight

AD 1782
                  Celts build Adams

AD 1784
                  Cloth (d) Camelot-NY (154) Space flight->plastics

AD 1788
                  Gems (d) Avalon-NY (140) Plastics->polytheism

AD 1790
                  swap for polytheism with aztecs Dye (d) York-Boston (88) French attack Gloucester kill defender and 1 freight

AD 1792
                  bribe french frigate Superconductor->fusion power

AD 1798
                  Cloth (d) Liverpool - Tlateloclo (555) Fusion power->amphibious warfare

AD 1800
                  12 freight into Winchester for Apollo

AD 1802
                  Winchester builds Apollo gems (d) cantebury-NY (132)

AD 1804
                  build 3M, 3S, 1C

AD 1806
                  Wine (d) Winchester-Tlatelolco (150)

AD 1808
                  build 5S, 1C

AD 1810
                  build 2S, 1C

AD 1812
                  build 2s

AD 1816
                  Try to move Indians they declare war. build 1s, 1c

AD 1820
                  Launch 15-3-3-1-1-1 arrive 1835

AD 1822
                  Government collapses (sh1t)

AD 1825
                  Cease fire with Indians

AD 1827
                  Indians break cease fire

AD 1828
                  Democracy at last

AD 1835
                  AC arrival

Comment

RJM,

Whenever I have a bit of bad luck, all I have to do is read the log from one of your games to appreciate a real adventure in misfortune!

I've never seen such bad luck vs. the barbs as you had when losing two phalanxes plus a settler to one barb archer in Avalon! These defenders were probably fortified, too!

You also managed to fall into anarchy shortly after an Oedo turn, making anarchy last almost the maximum amount of turns! BTW, 1828 was a regular Oedo year, so it appears that the cycle is NOT adjusted after a launch to the 1 year increments, and that you ended up spending about 6 turns in anarchy, when the usual expected maximum would only be 4 turns. Can you verify this?

I'd also bet that if you had met the Indians earlier in the game, you might have arrived a few centuries earlier, too. Tech costs can easily double if the key civ happens to be way behind you in number of techs acquired.

Comment

Originally posted by solo

Whenever I have a bit of bad luck, all I have to do is read the log from one of your games to appreciate a real adventure in misfortune!

I've never seen such bad luck vs. the barbs as you had when losing two phalanxes plus a settler to one barb archer in Avalon! These defenders were probably fortified, too!

You also managed to fall into anarchy shortly after an Oedo turn, making anarchy last almost the maximum amount of turns! BTW, 1828 was a regular Oedo year, so it appears that the cycle is NOT adjusted after a launch to the 1 year increments, and that you ended up spending about 6 turns in anarchy, when the usual expected maximum would only be 4 turns. Can you verify this?

I'd also bet that if you had met the Indians earlier in the game, you might have arrived a few centuries earlier, too. Tech costs can easily double if the key civ happens to be way behind you in number of techs acquired.
                      Well it wasn't all bad luck. I still can't believe I didn't find the Indians. I had swapped maps with the Celts who had not discovered them at that point and I put all my energy into finding a (non-existant) safe trireme route to their cities. But I only needed to move 1 more tile and I would have found them, so it's down to bad play.

One of the phalanxes was moved in as a new defender, so wouldn't have had time to fortify. The other would certainly have been fortified.

As far as the anrchy is concerned, once again that was down to bad play. It was nearly the end and I was getting careless. I should have checked and realised that the single rushed temple was not going to be enough to sort out the problem. I can confirm that the dates I've given above are accurate, but I have no saves to verify it with.

Anyone with a save straight after launch care to watch their government fall in the interest of research?

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

RJM,

I will test Oedo years after a launch if I can find an appropriate save.

Besides being able to meet the key civ early, another good reason for making MPE the first wonder is that you can find the best trireme routes right after exhanging maps.

Comment

Originally posted by solo

Besides being able to meet the key civ early, another good reason for making MPE the first wonder is that you can find the best trireme routes right after exhanging maps.
                          Wish it were so; if MPE is early enough to avoid the early wars, there is a lot of black space between civs that tells you nothing about how to get there. At least you find out the general direction. More important to me is the Intel screens and the KeyCiv tech gifting.

I finished an OCC landing over the weekend in 1801. I'll post details ASAP. I thought I was doing better than usual in the BC years; things seemed to slow down in the early AD years.

Comment

Elephant,

General direction is usually good enough, and pointed me to a trireme route via the Indians in these games, although some black clicking may be needed to confirm exact routes.

RJM,

I did some Oedo tests after this game which confirmed a continued 4 turn cycle just as Elephant predicted.

OCC game using EL #6 start

In this one I wanted to try OCC without growing my city beyond 12 citizens, which I believe is the optimal size for an OCC game. Size 12 allows a tech every two turns after Automobile and also results in a low power rating, allowing more alliances and gifts. We’ll see how size 12 compares when others complete their OCC games using full-sized cities.

This game was played after my EL #6 game, so I had pre-knowledge of the map, although by building MPE instead of exploring, I do not think this pre-knowledge conferred any advantage over those playing OCC first, since no early explorations were undertaken before MPE was finished.

Following is a log of my game:

BC years

3750 Liverpool
                            3500 Alphabet
                            3150 settlers (using the size one trick)
                            3050 Code of Laws, warrior, size 2
                            3000 settler joins Liverpool, size 3
                            2950 warrior
                            2700 Writing
                            2400 library, barbs land nearby
                            2300 Bronze Working
                            2200 diplomat (this scared the barbs away)
                            1850 Literacy
                            1350 Republic
                            1300 revolution
                            1250 government to Republic
                            1050 size 4
                            1000 Currency
                            875 Trade
                            850 Marco Polo’s Embassy, Indians – trade for Map Making, Ceremonial Burial, Mysticism, peace, alliance, share maps, 100g gift; French – war; Aztecs – trade for Construction, peace, alliance, share maps, 200g gift

Not a bad payoff for MPE. Other techs available were Masonry, Warrior Code, Horseback Riding, and Pottery. Unknown techs being researched were Mathematics, Monarchy and Polytheism.

825 colosseum, we love begins; Zulus – give tech, peace, alliance, share maps; Celts – give tech, peace, alliance, share maps, 250g gift

800 temple, size 5
                            775 size 6
                            750 marketplace, size 7
                            725 size 8
                            700 acqueduct, size 9
                            675 size 10
                            650 French build Pyramids, size 11
                            625 Philosophy, Banking, size 12, we love ends, Celts – trade for Mathematics, 25g gift
                            600 salt, Americans – give tech, share maps
                            575 Celts – 50g gift
                            550 trireme, Celts – 50g gift
                            525 French – peace, share maps, give tech; Zulus – trade for Seafaring
                            500 beads, Celts – 25g gift
                            475 Celts – 25g gift
                            450 hides, Celts – trade for Iron Working, 25g gift; Aztecs – trade for Monarchy, give tech, share maps

375 Medicine, Americans – give tech, share maps
                            350 salt(d) to Teotihuacan, 360g
                            325 Aztecs – trade for Bridge Building, share maps; Zulus – trade for Polytheism, give tech, share maps; Indians – give tech, share maps

300 French – give tech, share maps
                            250 University
                            225 Celts – give tech, share maps, 50g gift
                            200 Colossus
                            150 dye, beads(d) to Teotihuacan, 414g
                            125 Economics
                            100 university built
                            50 food, French – give tech, share maps; Celts – give tech, share maps, 100g gift

AD years

1 food, Zulus – give techs, share maps
                            20 Chemistry, hides(d) to New York, 433g; Americans – trade for Astronomy; Celts – give tech

40 hides, Indians – trade for Horseback Riding, give tech, share maps
                            60 French – give tech, share maps
                            80 hides, Theory of Gravity
                            100 bribe barb legion, 82g
                            120 hides, French – give tech, share maps
                            160 hides
                            200 hides, The Wheel, dye(d) to Delhi, 464g
                            220 Copernicus’s Observatory, Engineering
                            240 dye
                            260 hides
                            280 hides, hides(d) to Madras, 600g
                            300 hides, Invention
                            320 hides
                            340 hides
                            360 hides
                            380 hides, Gunpowder; Zulus – trade for Monotheism, give tech, share maps; Aztecs – give tech, share maps

400 hides
                            420 Sir Isaac Newton’s College, Celts – 200g gift; Aztecs – trade for Physics; French – give tech, share maps, alliance, 250g gift

440 gems, Metallurgy, dye(d) to Madras, 352g
                            460 gold, barb caravel bribed, 82g
                            480 food, Democracy, Celts – 200g gift; Zulus – 100g gift; Aztecs – 50g gift; Americans – give tech, 150g gift

500 food
                            520 food
                            540 cathedral, Explosives, French – trade for Steam Engine, give tech, share maps; Zulus – 100g gift

560 food, Zulus – give tech, share maps; Celts 200g gift
                            580 food, hides(d) to Hlobane, 384g
                            600 food, Railroad, gems(d) to New York, 344g; revolution
                            620 dye, government to Democracy
                            640 food
                            660 food, Industrialization
                            680 food, Indians – give tech, share maps; barb leader – 150g
                            700 food, Celts – 100g gift
                            720 food, Atomic Theory, gold(d) to Hlobane, 412g
                            740 gold, French – 100g gift; Aztecs – 100g gift; Indians – give tech
                            760 Corporation, transport, Americans – trade for Conscription; Celts – 100g gift; Zulus – 75g gift; French – 50g gift; Aztecs – 100g gift; Indians – 50g gift

780 food
                            800 food, Indians – 50g gift
                            820 food, Refining, Aztecs – 100g gift; Indians – 50g gift
                            840 food, Celts – 100g gift; Indians – 50g gift
                            860 food, French – trade for Magnetism; Aztecs – 100g gift
                            880 food, Zulus – 100g gift
                            900 food, Electricity, gold(d) to Hlobane, 412g; dye(d) to Armagh, 328g
                            920 gold, French 100g gift; Americans – 100g gift
                            940 food, Combustion
                            960 food
                            980 food, Celts – give tech, share maps
                            1000 food, Steel, gold(d) to Hlobane, 618g; French – 50g gift; Aztecs – 50g gift; Americans – 200g gift; Indians – 100g gift

Getting gold was never a problem in this game.

1020 food, French – 50g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1040 Automobile
                            1060 superhighways, Americans – 50g gift; Indians – 50g gift
                            1080 food, Mass Production, Celts – trade for Chivalry, give tech, share maps; French 50g gift; Aztecs – 50g gift; Indians – 100g gift

1100 food
                            1120 Electronics, Zulus – 75g gift; Americans – 50g gift; Indians – 50g gift
                            1140 food, French – 50g gift
                            1160 Leadership
                            1180 food
                            1200 Tactics
                            1220 food
                            1240 Nuclear Fission, French – give tech, 200g gift; Celts & Zulus – give tech, share maps; Aztecs – 50g gift; Americans – 150g gift; Indians – 100g gift

The Zulus were just about to build Darwin’s so I gifted them all my techs. In this game, this tactic backfired, since they did not pick up anything I needed and also cancelled MPE by learning Communism! Oh well.

1260 Zulus build Darwin’s and learn Communism and Mobile Warfare, food, Americans – 50g gift; Indians – 50g gift

1280 Machine Tools
                            1300 food, Aztecs – 50g gift; Americans – 100g gift; Indians – 100g gift
                            1320 Miniaturization
                            1340 food
                            1360 Computers, Americans – 50g gift; Indians – 50g gift
                            1380 research lab
                            1400 gold, Nuclear Power, Celts – 250g gift; French – 125g gift; Aztecs – 50g gift; Americans – 50g gift; Indians – 100g gift

1420 Celts – 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1440 hides, Flight
                            1460 Celts – 50g gift; Zulus – 10g gift
                            1480 Zulus – 100g gift; gold(d) to Hlobane, 600g
                            1500 hides, Laser, Aztecs – 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1510 hides
                            1520 Radio, French - give tech, share maps; Celts – 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1530 hides
                            1540 Advanced Flight, French – trade for Navigation; Celts – 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift

1540 hides, hides to Teotihuacan, 198g
                            1560 Rocketry, Celts – 50g gift, hides to Armagh, 232g
                            1570 beads, Zulus – 50g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1580 food, Space Flight, hides to Armagh, 232g

By this time I had about 35 caravans/freights saved up.

1590 Apollo Program
                            1600 S #1, Plastics, Celts – trade for Warrior Code, alliance cancelled; hides to Armagh, 232g

1610 S #2
                            1620 S #3, Superconductor
                            1630 S #4, Zulus - 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1640 S #5, Celts – give tech, new alliance; Zulus – give tech, 100g gift; Americans – give tech, 50g gift

1650 S #6, beads to Marseilles, 230g, Zulus – give tech, 100g gift; Americans – 50g gift
                            1660 S #7, Fusion Power, Zulus – give tech, 100g gift; Americans – give tech, 50g gift
                            1670 S #8
                            1680 gold
                            1690 dye
                            1700 S #9
                            1710 S #10
                            1720 S #11, Zulus – 100g gift; gold(d) to Hlobane, 630g; dye(d) to Armagh, 464g
                            1730 gold
                            1740 S #12
                            1750 S #13
                            1752 S #14
                            1754 S #15
                            1756 M #1, gold(d) to Hlobane, 630g
                            1758 M #2, Fundamentalism
                            1760 M #3
                            1762 gold
                            1764 C #1, Aztecs – give tech, 250g gift; Zulus – give tech, 100g gift; French – give tech, Mobile Warfare as a gift; Aztecs – give tech, 50g gift; Americans – give tech, 150g gift; Indians – give tech, Masonry as a gift

1766 C #2
                            1768 C #3, gold(d) to Hlobane, 630g
                            1770 C #4, bribe barb rifleman – 82g, Celts – give tech, 250g gift; Zulus – 100g gift; French – Sanitation as a gift; Aztecs – 50g gift, Americans – 150g gift, Indians – Communism as a gift

1772 C #5, bribe barb rifleman – 82g
                            1774 C #6, launch 15-3-3-1-1-1, ETA 1789

I made a save here to use for Oedo year tests after a launch. In the tests it turns out that Oedo years continue in 4-turn increments after a launch. 1772 was an Oedo year, and the ones following the launch were 1777, 1781, and 1785, maintaining the 4 turn cycle. It did not matter on which turns I went into revolt.

1775 armor
                            1777 city walls
                            1779 coastal fortress
                            1781 SAM missile battery
                            1783 armor
                            1785 artillery
                            1787 engineers
                            1789 arrival on Alpha Centauri

This beats my time in the last OCC game using a full-sized city, but this SSC site is a bit better, having an extra trade special. I also lucked out with the placement of the small Zulu city of Hlobane, which allowed a very lucrative stream of gold trades during the second half of my game. We’ll wait and see how others did.
                            Last edited by solo; November 17, 2003, 13:04.

Comment

"One Other" OCC#6

AC landing 1801

Governments-
                              Republic: learned 1400BC, switched 1250BC
                              Democracy: Americans developed 600AD, exchange 800AD, switch 860AD

Wonders-
                              MarcoPolo: 800BC (11 techs available, including Sea, Math, Wheel and Iron; took 4, plus 550 gold and 5 alliances)
                              Colossus: 100AD
                              Copernicus: 280AD
                              Shakespeares: 480AD
                              Newtons: 780AD
                              (Celts did Darwins in 960AD, took Communism and Electricity)
                              Apollo: 1700AD

SSC Stats-
                              Size 8: 575BC
                              Size 12: 475BC
                              Size 21: 660AD (stayed there a while)
                              Max size: 29 in 1610AD (max Shields 57)
                              1st TR: 150BC (Indians)
                              2nd TR: 225BC (Indians)
                              3rd TR: 80AD (Indians)

Tech Milestones-
                              Trade: 875BC
                              Invention: French got (hut?) 40AD; exchange 420AD (trying to prolong doubled delivery bonuses; probably delayed Engineers too long)
                              RailRoad: 620AD
                              Automobile: 1080AD
                              NucPower: 1550AD (I try to get NF and NP last before Flight)
                              Computers: 1460AD
                              Flight: 1600AD
                              SpaceFlight: 1680AD (doing 2 turns/tech, but Dye unblocked)

KeyCiv: MarcoPolo 800BC

Launch 15-3-3-1-1-1 1786AD, arrival 1801. All 6 alliances intact, all civs Enthusiastic.

I'm not at my playing machine right now; I'll post the exhaustive log, final save and CityScreen tonight.

I suggest adding "date SSC founded" to the Summary list...
                              Last edited by Elephant; November 17, 2003, 14:47.

Comment

Here's the SAV:

And the Log:

LONDON at 1AD:

This was not bad. Luxuries could have been reduced to 10% with a Bank, but I was too busy churning out Food caravans. Gold was flowing in sporadically from 6 alliances, and I had a good 10-shield production line. I delayed Gunpowder to use the Warrior for PRBing 1-turn caravans a little too long, though. Two of those caravans were commodities, awaiting return of my single Trireme; I held the rest till I was sure I could cover both Colossus and Copernicus.

LONDON in 1590AD, max beakers (just before Flight):

Note the unblocked Dye commodity. I kept that open till the end, and a quick run to America or Mexico allowed several 1-turn techs. I lost Gems to an error: Boston had more trade than I thought.

Compared to Solo, I was only six turns off his landing date despite founding later, skipping the Size 1 Settler, and max-sizing later. Not bad.
                                Last edited by Elephant; November 17, 2003, 21:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X