No announcement yet.

Is Civ 2 Retro Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that the retro label was reserved for something that went out of fashion, and then back into fashion -- some of us don’t seem to recognize the wheels of fashion movement.
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
      It is undoubtedly true that more people play Civ3. However, the point about Civ2's age is a telling one. We have to wait until Civ3 has been around for 7 years and see if it still has the pull Civ2 has now.
      That would be about five years from now.

But wait!! We few, we hardy few, will then say, "Let's see how many folk are playing Civ3 after IT has been out 12 years." Assuming there are any...

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
        If I read the forums correctly, Civ 3 has about twice as many total posts as Civ 2 (~327,000+ vs. ~168,000+). That simple evidence suggests that Civ 3 is currently more popular than Civ 2. But, for a game that's about seven years old to be drawing half as much attention as its two?-year-old offspring is pretty impressive, I think. As others have said, it's just a much better game. (Of course, different opinions might be found on some other forum .)

Since about 2/3 of those 327k were from people *****ing about the game, I don't think they should count towards proving it's popularity.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

no doubt about it in my mind...Civ 2 is my favorite game of all time...it's been over 5 years since I first played, and I STILL love it!!! I'll be playing it 20 years from now...and it'll definitely be retro by then
          "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

I have used Civ 3 to get people into civ 2, so it that can work, the younger will badly while the older will reighn forever... i hope...
            why no revolution :(

Comment

I've been trying to do the same with my nephews...they convinced me to buy Civ3, but to be honest, I only played a few times and then came back to the best! I think Civ2 will always be my favorite game
              "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

Civ2 is as fascinating as chess.
                There are no silly questions - only silly answers
                <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

I may be alone in this, but the one thing that I enjoy so much in civ 3 over civ 2 is the change to unit support.

in my eyes, that improvement alone makes civ3 the preferable choice to load up.

and I love civ, from 1 on up.

on the other hand, the one thing in civ 2 that civ 3 has yet to match in any way is the animated advisors.

it's almost as if the two games are a draw because each one has elements that are great, but at the same time, they lack the great elements of the other...
                  While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Civ 2 is better. Simple as that.
                    Vote Democrat
                    Support Democracy

Comment

its not retro, its hip man
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                        I may be alone in this, but the one thing that I enjoy so much in civ 3 over civ 2 is the change to unit support.
                        In this forum we don't often hear praise for Civ III. How is unit support different in Civ III?

RJM at Sleeper's
                        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

It's done as gold and subtracted from your empire, so you never get a single city shortage that disbands units.

Gold makes more sense then production. But the rest of civIII shortcomings make CIVII the preferred choice.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't know what everyone else considers shortcomings in Civ III, I never really gave it a chance. I bought the first release and it's now collecting dust under my computer desk. I guess what I disliked most was the way you had to move units. I guess I'm just set in my ways with Civ II.
                            "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

real men play civ 2
                              The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                                real men play civ 2
                                why no revolution :(

Comment

Working...
                                X