• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah...

Route = road or path
    Rout = a convincing win

You are correct, sir...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yup, once again, JR has the flick.

La Fayette, nice work on gaining the American visitation rights.

After DoY, we have Ben Kenobi and Vlad in the pipeline.
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

• 1922 (0) - Have a look around to see where the Americans have their wonders. Washington looks a good target, but San Diego has the UN - could be a worthwhile detour. Press Return.

1923 (1) - America revolts. Greeks go Republic. Japan discovers Mass Production. Greeks attack Phocaea, and their cannon kills a rifleman. We only have 2 spy defenders. Pollution near La Fayette and Slowville. Sicyon vet cavalry destroys marine and cannon outside Phocaea (is it just me or does this city name sound painful? ) 94g from Hides to Washington - not demanded, in fact nowhere demands hides. 246g Hides to Boston. Mmmm..... rivers. I decide against attacking any more American cities this turn, instead wiping out an engineer, one of their howies, one of their partisans and a Japanese engineer. I discover a badly wounded destroyer and submarine next to one another on the coast by Chicago, and kill the submarine. Cowardice is definitely the better part of valour. I press return and wait for the storm to break upon Buffalo.

1924 (2) - The Greeks are using bombers against us in the northwest, and massacring our troops. They land even more units outside Phocaea, but with a bribeable artillery cleverly positioned then I can wipe out whatever they have landed. America had revolted to democracy again. Damn. Pollution continues to spread back home, but I need combat engineers to take over the American continent. Our destroyer who killed the sub is sunk by a virgin cruiser who was nowhere near me when I started sailing. Dodgy.I bribe the Greek artillery outside Phocaea for 700g or so and use it to splat a marine-cavalry group waiting behind them. Now I only have to worry about the bombers. Wonder how much they are? ) 2010g!!!! 2 hides from Warrenville get 150g each in Boston. I capture Boston for 589g, with 2 cruise missiles as their last defenders. Tonnes of partisans arrive, the US government is overthrown and I talk with Lincoln to try to thrash outr some kind of peace settlement. ie - get rid of all the bloody partisans. I refuse his generous request for 750g to end the war and it continues. Death to partisans! (except one )

1925 (3) - America discovers Plastics and becomes Communist. Let the bribery at exorbitant prices begin! Greeks get tanks! Coastal Fortress in Sicyon sends a Greek cruiser to the depths, but there is an enormous pile-up of ships outside Phocaea, and the bombers keep raining down on Toofaraway. Time for some emergency martial law I think. My spy tells me there are 8 defenders in New York, and 9 in Washington. It's a risk, but I'm sending my howie death squad against Washington to deplete the American treasury further. We love in Boston! I bribe Artemisium for 150g or so, and get no partisans and 2 bombers (both partially injured, but hey!). We capture Washington for 432g, JSB and Adam Smith. I knew it'd be worthwhile! I have enough howie movement left to crush all the partisans but one.

1926 (4) - Two American cruise missiles sink out BB in the middle of the sea between our continents. Greeks up the ante yet again. Japanese sign treaty with the Indians to control our aggression. Our aggression! They started it! New York falls to our rampaging armies, but the good duchess calls and I have to call it a day here I'm afraid. Good luck to my successor.

Well I only managed 4 turns. I have taken Boston, Washington and New York so the Americans have lost their core, but with a terrible strike rate of only a city a turn while on the offensive then this will need to be improved. My successor can probably still take another city this turn as we have some howies with movement points left. There is a single partisan left for each city taken, but a few to mop up around NYC. I'll take DC as my city if no-one minds, but since these cities are "under threat" then you can still control the production there. America doesn't seem too interested in taking them back at the moment, which is a good thing after I killed their only howie. I think we've got tech parity with them, but they may still have recycling over us. Who cares? One of our cities is building Apollo with the domestic advisor.
        The Greeks are getting too confident at the moment, and I was sorely tempted to build a missile to take ouit the huge stack of ships off Phocaea, but the next player can do as thye please here. The turn is not yet complete, with a fair few units still to move, but we now have Adam Smith so the cash should start to pour in, and allow us to bribe some cities. There ought to be more Greek cities between our two population centres on the home island, but I don't know where as yet. I've got a feeling that the two bombers could cause trouble for us as well as them though.
        Good luck!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work, duke (even if only for a few turns.)

Next is Ben Kenobi, Vlad, (and Straybow) and then me.

Duke, if Ben or Vlad don't show up in a couple of days, feel free to step back in & finish your turns -- otherwise I'll take action in a few days (due to the sparseness of comments from their sidelines... )
          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

• 1926 (4cont ) - I capture St Louis (352g) and sign a cease-fire with the Greeks. That ought to give me enough time to rebuild my defenses. The bloody UN forces me to sign a cease-fire with the Americans!

1927 (5) - There is a barb uprising near Buffalo, but fortunately I had just unloaded lots more troops nearby. Scientists have warned of global warming. Pollution near St Louis. An exploring spy discovers the Greek cities of Tegea and Gortyn on our continent to the south-east of Pergamon. I buy Gortyn for 458g (x2), and get a free tank, rifleman and bomber. I demand tribute from America and get WAR!!

Atlanta captured. Bloody UN kicks in and cease-fire must be signed.

1928 (6) - An American tank approaches Buffalo from the south-east (from Chicago, I'm guessing). The cease-fire with the Greeks expires (why does this always happen at the end of my turn, and never at the beginning) - that lasted for ages . One of their bombers massacres two innocent (as in, not combat ) engineers, but two of their cruisers fling themselves against Chalco's coastal fortress in vain. Pacts are signed against us by everyone. Japanese cruiser is, well was, making a nuisance of itself to the south, by Slowville. America redeclares war on us by its pact with Japan.
            I capture Chicago, and it seems that the tank was not from that city at all. It's dead anyway. I refuse to talk to America and allow them another cease-fire. Tegea is now toast, and hopefully that means an end to Greek cities on our land, but I'm still not certain. Maybe when whichever city it is actually finishes Apollo. I now have an enormous stack of howies in a fortress next to New Orlenas and Baltimore, and some explosive death awaits the inhabitants of these cities next turn.

1929 (7) - I capture New Orleans and America offers war in return for my more than generous request for tribute. Quite the rum fellows this lot. The Americans still have plenty of cities overseas, which is annoying, but shouldn't have too many cities left back home after the next turn .

1930 (8) - Things get even more interesting, as the Japanese decide it'd be a good idea to send bombers and tanks at my new American cities. I capture Denver (285g), and that only leaves two American cities that I know about. I had to buy an extortionately-priced American bomber because the cheeky sods had parked right in the middle of the railroad. Baltimore falls too, which only leaves Dallas, and another city somewhere behind Chicago. Units have seemed to come from that direction, so I reckon there's a city there. Things are looking good on this continent, and our mighty fighter destroyed two Greek bombers in the skies above Sicyon and returned to a veterans' day parade. The barbs are still hanging around by Buffalo, but shouldn't be too much trouble. I have a bomber in Boston to use as you see fit, and another load of troops are aboard a transport heading for the coast at Buffalo. You will have to decide which cities on the American continent are still "under threat", and which can go onto Advisors. I'd like Washington as my city, and you can go with Military advisor whenever it has finished its current build project. The Japanese are coming from the north, and this should allow a lot more waiving of advisors as the cities are still "under threat". Best of luck!

NB - capturing the "Bloody UN", as it is now known, would be a good idea.
            Attached Files

Comment

• +1
              Attached Files

Comment

• Outstanding razing of a subcontinent, duke! Seems you learned to decline post-capture chats, which is a good lesson to learn.

Looks like we'll need to develop enough engineers to stave off global warming. (Q: Can pollution be considered an imminent threat to direct build orders??)

It appears the Greeks and Japs are next next in line...
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I was certainly hoping that new engineers could be pumped out to control the pollution, as we'll have global warming before too long. We need a word from the boss though.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Looks like we'll need to develop enough engineers to stave off global warming. (Q: Can pollution be considered an imminent threat to direct build orders??)
                    One glance at the save and the same thought occurred to me. Skuls abound. I had to check who had built the nukes but it is just normal pollution. Using the advisors, we see that pollution cleanup is not a high priority for the AI.

Global warning seems to qualify as a threat, don't you think??

Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• doy

You made excellent use of your full turns. Glad you finished it out!! This is really rolling now.

Monk

Comment

• The AI doesn't need to clean up its pollution as it isn't affected by it. Well, not until all their land changes to swamp and desert.
                        We, on the other hand, desperately need more engineers so that we can clean up all the pollution we already have, and that Slowville and the city near it churn out every turn. We have a useless engineer asleep in Chalco, but no matter how often I fiddled with the military advisor, he refused to build a transport.
                        In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the emergency stretches all across the empire, and that cities under threat of global warming should be allowed to build at least one engineer each to help with the clean-up operation. This will mean that we'll have to have a few on the American continent too, but there we go. We can't force the AI to build mass transits or recycling plants I'm afraid, so this was inevitable.

Comment

• as a returning lurker to the game, i might point out to the next player that the (bloody) UN is a wonder, meaning that San Diego is on the city list and easily locatable after all, we send diplomatic relations there for every meeting, do we not?
                          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

• It's a big map and therefore easy to miscount, but, it looks like 17 skulls. Need to get them below 9 before much longer or it's swamp time.

Monk

Comment

• Definitely an emergency IMHO.

Comment

• /me joins in the growing peanut gallery of opinions offered and suggests that rather than interpreting the rules to allow for Engineer build orders that enemy engineers be bribed rather then killed, and then used to clean up the pollution (and I realize between the high cost of bribing engineers and the need for lots of them soon this isn't the answer any of you would like, but how far can you bend the rules ? )
                                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Working...
                                X