The previous rulers chose their city.
    Please, choose yours
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• Merci bien.

Save on Monday.

Comment

• Erm......

I'm afraid that I haven't got the save for you today.
        I had to reformat my laptop over the weekend, along with having loads of RL stuff to do, and so couldn't play my turns. Can someone else please play my turns, and I should be all right to play later on this week. Wednesday maybe?

Comment

• If the duke wants to swap spots, that puts it to La Fayette.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• OK
            I play tomorrow

Comment

• Thanks La Fayette.

I played about half a turn on Saturday, but then had to go out wiht my girlfriend so didn't bother saving the meagre progress I had made, and never got a chance to play any more.

Bonne chance!

Comment

• 1916:
                2 spies sabotage the Jap submarine which turns red

1917:
                Our BB destroys the Jap sub.
                Alert: Greek troops close to Artemisium = we must help = we take Pergamon = Greeks ask for CF = yes.
                We steal Flight and Advanced Flight = war with the Americans

1918:
                Greels sneal attack and bribe Artemisium

1919:
                We steal MobWar + GenEng + GueWar + Rocket
                Hides delivered to Buffalo: 78g + 82g.

1920:
                Greek bomber kills our fanatic in Sicyon.
                Alert: an American howie coming out of Buffalo threatens our troops (about 20 howies ) in the fortress = howie destroyed + Buffalo taken.

1921:
                DD sunk by Jap DD offshore La Fayette.
                Cruiser sunk by Greek cruiser offshore Pergamon (after fierce battle: 3 Greek units sunk)
                3 Greek bombers destroy 3 defenders in our cities close to Pergamon.

1922:
                Our fighter destroys 1 Greek bomber.
                Our Dragoon kills Greek Arty.
                We steal NucFis from the Yankees.

I stop there, because I have about 20 howies in and around Buffalo, ready to take the other American cities, but I don't know how to do it in accordance with the rules.

I prefer to leave the bloodbath to my successor (mind you, this is just for once ).
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wow!

1. By far, the best La Fayette Log in quite some time.
                  2. Given the opportunity to wreak havoc on the Americans, he opts instead to continue loading Howies into a fortress.

I'm shock -- shocked, I say! -- that our General from Albi chose this course.

Who's next?
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Someone else can jump in here, and hopefully I'll be able to play at the weekend.
                    If the next person is unable to finish by Friday then no worries - I'll continue next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                      I'm shock -- shocked, I say! -- that our General from Albi chose this course.
                      Sorry, Jr

The problem is that I have not clearly understood the rules of THIS lazy game: I never know exactly when I am allowed to move an unit.

Comment

• The following is open to correction by our game sponsor, Old n Slow...

@ La Fayette (and all remaining players --

The biggest restriction is on build orders. Technically, you should only control your own city and the capital. All others should stay on the auto-advisor.

You options in city management of the "other" cities are limited as follows: worker deployment, rushbuying, choice of advisors after an item is completed, and activation of troops for defense when threatened (within 3 spaces) by barbs or AI. When under threat, you may also manually change build orders if necessary for the city's safety.

For units, the rules state that "if it's blinking, you can move it" or workds to that effect. I interpreted that to mean that, when the advisor builds a military unit, I had the option to deploy it as I saw fit for the good of the empire. So, in the rare instance when the Auto function produced something useful, I felt justified in taking it out of the city and using it and the game situation dictated.

There are no limits on attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                          There are no limits on attack.
                          This is the point I wasn't sure about
                          That's why I stopped sooner: my successor will have the pleasure of tearing the American civ to pieces

Comment

• -Jrabbit,

Great exposition of the Rules. You make it almost sound like it's a walk in the park.

You didn't mention the toggling back and forth between advisors. Can you do this for any city?? at any time?? or just when something finishes??

You and La Fayette sounded off for holding the line on any major rule changes and I agree that is for the best. This one is an especially tough challenge, and I don't think there will be any dishonor in the off chance things don't end well. Big changes in the rules when the going gets tough is akin to reloading bad outcomes...easy to do, but not very satisfying. Just a few cents from the nonplaying side of the street.

Monk
                            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                              Great exposition of the Rules. You make it almost sound like it's a walk in the park.
                              Thanks.

You didn't mention the toggling back and forth between advisors. Can you do this for any city?? at any time?? or just when something finishes??
                              This is something of a sticky wicket. Since this was designed as a "Lazy" game, I decided that micromanagement of the advisors was outside the spirit of things. I only checked Advisor choices after a build. Your moral interpretation may vary...

Another complication:

I also learned while buying some increments that, in fact, the AutoAdvisor will sometimes "change its mind" in mid-build. (My theory is that this is due to change in proximity of a threat, reduction/growth of the number and type of troops in the city, etc.) Anyway, it was a quandary. Ultimately, I decided that if I was rushing a Howie, it was within my purview to finish it.

This may be perceived as a stretch of the rules (since, technically, the Auto function was disengaged through the end of the turn). But changing a greatly-desired Howie or Alpine to a DD seemed like a pretty big sacrifice when one's intentions were pure. (Dissenting views welcome.)

You and La Fayette sounded off for holding the line on any major rule changes and I agree that is for the best. This one is an especially tough challenge, and I don't think there will be any dishonor in the off chance things don't end well. Big changes in the rules when the going gets tough is akin to reloading bad outcomes...easy to do, but not very satisfying.
                              Totally agree, Monk. This particular game has a very high frustration level, because it's easy to see what could be done with full control of resources. We flirted with similar fears in the Silly Rules game, and that turned into a route.

FWIW, I think we're going to win this one with relative ease as well. The two biggest factors in late game under this ruleset -- (1) happiness and income combination of Communism (while not as cool as Fundy) will allow massive troop builds (meaning, massive IRB in the few cities permitted to do so), and (2) the "partisan threat" allowance for reasonable control of conquered citieswill allow ongoing assaults to continue without losing too many newly-conquered cities.

Ultimately, the AI's inferior strategic abilities will be the difference.

Just a few cents from the nonplaying side of the street.

Monk
                              Your RCC and commentary are one of the best parts of the SXN threads at present. Hoping you'll be able to participate again in the near future.

Comment

• Another interesting and thoughtful answer; thanks again, Jr. I agree with all you said, if that is, I have understood those rulings/rules.

And thank you very much for this bit...

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Your RCC and commentary are one of the best parts of the SXN threads at present. Hoping you'll be able to participate again in the near future.
                                In that spirit and purely as a matter of providing clarity, when you said,

We flirted with similar fears in the Silly Rules game, and that turned into a route.
                                I think you "Quayled" here and meant to say..."rout". It's those dang "eeeee" things.

Monk (wishing "I shall return" would hurry up and get here)
                                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                                X