The Porfiriato?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Porfiriato?

I'm currently putting together a scenario covering the period of the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920, the warfare that followed the end of Diaz' regime.

At the moment, I have a map that is satisfactory in its outline, but needs the terrain modified to more closely simulate the actual terrain.

I'm looking for advice about how to give a unique character to the Mexican environment/terrain.

Any information would be helpful, but I do have some specific questions . . . . .

1.) What is the nature of the Chapparal ? How does it differ from conventional American desert?

2.) How much forestation exists in the high/middle ranges of the Sierra Madre occidental ? I've got a number of thematic vegetation zone maps, but I'd like to hear from someone onsite, if possible.

3.) What is the nature of the terrain in Chiapas ? From the information I have, it appears to be tropical deciduous forest over a series of hills.

4.) In general, are there any peculiar aspects that need to be pointed out? If you have something pertinent to offer, speak up.

I've also been reading quite a bit about this era, starting, of course, with the Britannica article, which provides a complete, yet basic outline. After that, I've gone to some of Raat's stuff, and looked through various sources online. Summing up, it seems that this period represents the violent transition of a formerly agrarian republic to an industrialized, modern state. Clearly, new classes appeared, and the several competing agendas of these classes colored subsequent events. The first impression is to label Madero an incompetent reformer, Huerta a reactionary, Carranza a ruthless opportunist, and Zapata and Villa as populist, agrarian land reformers.

But those conclusions are rudimentary.

There must be subtle aspects of which I am ignorant.

Enlighten me.

and gracias.
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

"El Chaparral" isn't a desert but a prairie (ok, a really dry prairie). Its name derives from "chaparro", a short bush.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I'm sure our mexican members will answer all your questions soon.

It's always nice to see you around, exile
    "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
    "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
    The Spanish Civilization Site
    "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

3) I've been to chiapas only once, and your information describes it quite well.

I really only know mexican history from school textbooks, which tends to be pretty much biased, however your impressions seem well-based to me.

Some other older and better informed mexican member may be able to help.

Comment

Working...
      X