No announcement yet.

[PBEM] Jungle Jumble, 2nd thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All those settings sound fine to me. I don't care either way about raging barbarians. As for tech trading, Sabre makes a good point, but without it, if you fall behind, you're done for.

What about advanced start? Are we doing that at all? And the turn timer, 24 hours?

Let's get this one going before Lump leaves!

P.S. Again, why do you guys in Europe always get games on DVD? It's not fair...
    Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

• advanced start: classical age
      timer: 24 hours strict

we could go on hold during lumpy's absence or do you want to queue up the turns then?

aebbeka: so we get the game in 6 languages and on DVD. but we also pay a lot more than you guys. the regular cost is around 65$ in most shops in zurich. fortunatly there's amazon
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• On tech trading I see your point. I'm now mildly in favour of a ban too.

On the 24 hour timer, supposing we go away for a few days?

The LumpFriend has expressed preferences about the game (I invited him to join the forum but he doesn't want to):

He would prefer NOT to play on a pangea or flat map. He wants oceans to have some role otherwise he thinks this makes tech research options less interesting.

He would prefer a proper ancient start.

On his civ preferences:
        If it's an ancient start: Incas
        If it's an advanced start on a continents/terra/archipelago map: Portugal
        If it's an advanced on a pangea/flat map: Elizabeth-England.
        Last edited by Lumpkin; August 8, 2007, 11:08.
        http://www.cojadate.com/

Comment

• i'm strongly opposed to any flat map!!! wrapping is a must in my eyes.
          but pangea is acceptable. but if oceans should play a role, then pangea is not ideal...

as for joining apolyton: where's the problem?

lumpy: that's the good thing about PTBS... turns will be played whether you're here or not. so if somebody fails to play the game it doesn't delay the other 4.
          anyhow, usually you'll want to queue up the next turn in case you miss the turn. there is no downside to that except in special situations where the scout might walk in front of a bear (happened to me once). and maybe in a grand war you'll want to be present too

when i went away for 8 days in july i queued up enough turns. in the end 5 days actually passed (2nd day i could log in) and when i returned i finished my turn 20mins before the timer ran out. before that i had positioned my axemen for maximal view and in chokepoints so the barbarians couldn't surprise me. my teammate got somebody else to replace him in the mean time...

of course the admin can put it on pause, especially if more than 1 person is away...

Comment

• Just post when you're going to be away and I'll shut down the game until you return.

Heh, Lump's alter-ego has quite the specific requests. The starting point doesn't matter to me so long as it's not past Classical, but we all seem to prefer a different map. I suppose pangea would be the closest compromise.

Comment

• aargh, sorry i made a fatal typo! He would prefer NOT to play on a pangea/flat map. I will edit the original post to make things clearer.

Comment

• Okay I see I hadn't understood pitboss then. So it's a good idea to use auto-explore and stuff if you're going to be away? I still don't think I really understand it but I'm sure it'll all become clear once we start.

Comment

• Archipelago it is then, I guess.

Comment

• if archipelago, then please gimme willem of the dutch please

Comment

• how are ancient religions handled in advanced starts? Do people 'purchase' them?

Comment

• no clue, sorry...
                        but if we start with one age later (medieval?) there are 5 religions to be distributed...

that being said, ancient start still on the table!

Comment

• I did some tests, and it seems after the first turn, it doles out the religions to everyone. When I added a lot of culture to my city, I was one that got a religion. When I had no culture, I didn't get a religion. So apparatenly there's some folmula involving factors including culture to decide who gets the reglions, or it's totally random and my tests were a coincidence.

Comment

• Alright, here's a sample of the settings. If everyone agrees, Sabre gets his dvd working, and Lump picks a Civ, we can start any time.

Players: 1-Me, 2-Krazy, 3-Sabre, 4-Lumpfriend, 5-Lump, and 5 random AI
                            Does this turn order make more sense? (since Sabre is an hour ahead of Lump) Or should we stick with the old one?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• my installation is finally working

Comment

• yeah, since i've got more serious at work, i actually go to bed at more sensible times and wake up earlier... so it's fine for me!

only change: please tick the box for "choose religions"

thanks, aeb!

Comment

Working...
                                X