PBEM using Advanced Start option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeoModder

It allows two or more players to band together for mutual protection and joint victory without the fear of a backstab. Once signed, there's no going back with this option.

No no no NO NO to any concept of a joint victory!!!!

Sorry, but I feel really strongly about this. GOW and Neu Demogyptica used it in the Civ3 team demo game, and it created a sucky and cheesy ending to that game.

The idea of civilzation is for one team to try and win - not two - and not three. One. What that creates is the dynamic of an allaince that by definition, will get shaky as it eliminates the competition - because they know they have to take on each other. And that gives non-alliance teams a chance to break the bloc.

If two teams have agreed to a 'joint victory', either by out-of-game agreemnt, or thru the permanent alliance thingy, then they have the advantage of not having to worry about each other. Particularly in the first case - as happened in the above-mentioned demo game - had the other civs known what the two teams were doing, then they would have reacted differently.

In the second case, where it is a permanent alliance, it severly limits the dynamic in a 5 person game. Maybe if this was an 18 player pitboss game, I would say sure, give it a try. But with 5 teams, if two form an alliance, then two others have to almost by defeinition to stand against them. So why not just create a team battle game.

Sorry Geo, but this is real pet peeve of mine. It is critical that the victory conditions be known ahead of time for obvious game dynamic reasons - and IMO, joint victory - other than in an agreed upon team game - has no place in civ.

End of rant.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I'm going to start the game with the following settings:

Lakes on Normal sized map.
      Advanced start (600 points)
      Random Leaders
      Noble difficulty, no AI

Objections need to be made within the hour.
      "

Comment

No tech brokering sounds good too
        "

Comment

I would have played but it seems that possibility has passed.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Turn 1 sent to witt
            "

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
              I would have played but it seems that possibility has passed.
              I'm afraid so

The Turn Tracking Thread:

"

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                I'm going to start the game with the following settings:

Lakes on Normal sized map.
                Advanced start (600 points)
                Random Leaders
                Noble difficulty, no AI

Objections need to be made within the hour.
                That was 33 minutes from the time of this post to the sending of the first save.

All looks good to me. But I will be waiting until tomorrow to play my first turn. Too much wine this evening.
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Okay. Beta, I trust you still have my email? Cerberus delivered his to me.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                  X