A learner game for a noobie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A learner game for a noobie.

I have just recently got Civ4 on DVD so am learning Civ all over again (I usually play
    Smac/x ). I don't even know if I need to download patches.

So I am looking for some noobies for a game to get further experience: probably by pbem.

I have read about Pitboss (via Snoopy's guide) but not sure if my system can handle it. The teachaxel game looked fraught with difficulties.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Hi Hercules, I'm not sure how many noobies you will be able to gather for a game here on Apolyton; if you need some players, I will join your game even if I'm not new to Civ4.

Which type of PBEM game were you thinking about starting up - Civ4 (Vanilla) or Civ4 Warlords? I'm easy either way myself.

Concerning patches - yes, there are patches available for both regular Civ4 and Civ4 Warlords. Just startup the game and on the opening Menu choose "Advanced" then choose "Check for Updates." The game will check and see if you have the latest version and if not, it will automatically download the patch for you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Wittlich. I'll check the 'Advanced' for updates.

I have Civ4 operating, so I guess I'll have to load Warlords now. I'll get back if it installs OK.

I suppose for the experience a 4 person Civ on a smaller setting might work. An inland lake gives the chance to try the seafaring options.

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Hello Hercules,

I'm interested on playing Civ4 by PBEM. I'm newbie in Civ4 but I've played Civilization Call to Power many years ago.
          I have both Civ4 (Vanilla) and Warlords but I prefer Civ4 (Vanilla) because I didn't play it and I want to start from the begining, anyway, I don't mind wich one.

Tell me something. See you.

P.D: Sorry for my english
          "La vida es muy peligrosa. No por las personas que hacen el mal,
          sino por las que se sientan a ver lo que pasa."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Your english is 1000% better than my Spanish. Welcome.

Comment

Glad to have you in the fold as well Josgalo!
              And trust me - I would not be able to be understood or communicate effectively in the Spanish forum! So don't worry Josgalo, your English is fine by me as well.
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

One more needed for a learning game.

Comment

PTBS

There's no reason a system that's up roughly 24/7 couldn't handle the PTBS portion of it, it's a simple little program that lakes basically no memory or CPU power. Teach Alexman has two problems:
                  1. Gamespy
                  2. It's hosted on a work computer, so it's not accessible to restart during the weekend or night

Thing is that a PBEM, unless played on 'quick' setting, will take a long time to finish (2yrs on average) while a PTBS has a max of 2 years if it goes the full distance (more likely 8 mo to 1 yr for a 4-player).

I'd actually be willing to host a PTBS for this if you want, it'd have to be Gamespy unfortunately which means sporadic crashes, but life would go on If you wanted to host one yourself it could be DirectIP which would be way better.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I could join you, if you don't mind another non-noob?
                    But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                    PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Ok Got to the next stage. Got Warlords installed and I think I 've got all the up to date patches.

Comment

So....I Take it that you are host of this game Hercules.... go ahead and launch this puppy...unless you want some one else to do it?!?
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Then, what do we play? a PBEM or a pitboss game??
                          "La vida es muy peligrosa. No por las personas que hacen el mal,
                          sino por las que se sientan a ver lo que pasa."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Want 5? If it is a pitboss game it won't matter much. If pbem and and you want to stay with 4, no probs.
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                              So....I Take it that you are host of this game Hercules.... go ahead and launch this puppy...unless you want some one else to do it?!?
                              As I am just finding my way and pleased to get this far , no way am I hosting. But since I have got this far, Pitboss sounds the most sensible route to go.

But it is learning for me so let's keep it small.

Comment

Working...
                              X