No announcement yet.

Game setup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mirror map is one where one half of the map is a reflection of the other side.
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Mirror... I not positive - but I believe the map is split down the middle and thus a copy of it self either side
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

I've been looking at mirror maps and there are several different variations (where the copy half is inverted or back to front). I would suggest leaving the exact type of mirror as random so that there is a little bit of uncertainty about the layout of the other continent when you reach it. (I notice that even the placement of resources is mirrored)

I assume the civs in a team will start together? Just that if they get split between different continents some civs may not last long enough to make contact with the others on their team.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Great points on mirror maps

maybe we best to play Pangea then instead of continients
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Now that you mention it I'm beginning to wonder about continents and mirror maps in a four player team game. It's going to be a 2:2 split until optics/astronomy so I wonder if something other than continents might be better.

Comment

I've had a further look at mirror maps. I'm definitely interested in playing one as they look, well, interesting. I'd definitely leave the mirror type as random so there is a bit of a puzzle involved in working out just how the map is oriented.

There are several types of map. None of them wrap.

Small lakes - like a highlands map without so many mountains and with polar regions top and bottom.

Wide continents - one large blob continent on each half of the map.

Snaky continents - one large blob continent with long fjords on each half of the map.

Tiny islands - does what it says on the tin! Lots of tiny islands.

Archipelago - stringy landmasses.

Varied - like small lakes but fewer, larger lakes.

If we want water for coastal cities and trade I'd suggest archipelago as there is a possibility of a crossing to the other half of the map pre-optics - unlike the continents maps. If an all land map is preferred then Varied seems the best bet.

I'd go for Archipelago, random mirror and teams start together. Note that this has nothing to do with my choice of the Americans and their UU for one of my civs - although I am willing to change that civ if anyone has an objection (on the principle that if you find yourself next to the Romans the best thing to do is kill them before they have iron )

Comment

dp

Comment

Arhipelago sounds okay. And I think Teams Start Together is good as well.
                  Formerly known as Masuro.
                  The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Actually I've changed my mind after further thought. Continents with teams starting separated should be fun - yes, you can wipe out my isolated civ but I'll get yours in return!

(I don't really like archipelago maps anyway)

I've probably gone on too much about this so I'll play whatever everyone else is happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                      Actually I've changed my mind after further thought. Continents with teams starting separated should be fun - yes, you can wipe out my isolated civ but I'll get yours in return!

(I don't really like archipelago maps anyway)

I've probably gone on too much about this so I'll play whatever everyone else is happy with.

I will start once Platypus has a chance to read through all this
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

sure-

Egyptain -Cleo the Beautty
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

So?

Comment

when I get back I will do something... ok?
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Ok.

Comment

Long Riders

Game On

I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...