No announcement yet.

Standard PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pitboss beta was made public yesterday, we should know in a few days if it is ready for long-term PBEM type play.

The features aren't too well advertised, but basically it should make PBEM type games go a heckuva lot faster. If you can get all the players online at the same time, you can play dozens of turns in an hour. Any other time you just need to log into the server and play, no fuss with an email save. And there is an automatic timer that can be set to any # of hours, with the AI playing the turn for the slackers who can't be bothered once a day to check in...

I expect games to move from the old ~25% finish rate to over 75%, and be measured in length by months instead of years.

All we'd need is everyone on 1.52 and a Windows machine that is on the net 24/7...
    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

So are we going to get this started or wait for the Pitboss thing? I can't really commit to much time for it. Basically from about 9-11pm Pacific time (PST is -8 GMT) on weekdays. On weekends I'm possibly a little more open.

Comment

If you want to go ahead with the 6 of you in a regular PBEM, I haven't had much luck with more than that in a game. I'll check back when we figure out if everything is playable and I find someplace to host the server, to see who is still interested in PB...

Comment

9-11PM Pacific time would not really be suitable for me.

PB sounds good though, IF it works properly.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Well, if my understanding is correct, we don't have to use PB just as rapid turn player when we are all online. Can't it be scheduled just to keep the game moving if people don't play their turns in the alloted amount of time? I think that would be more useful from my point of view.
            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Still room for a player?

Is there still room in this game for another player? I'm looking to join a game. It'll be my first PBEM with multiple people on Civ4. Got one going against my brother, but he's not on much. So looking for another more active game.

Comment

Yes, PB allows you to play group sessions or whenever-you-log-in, either way as much as you want, whenever you want.

It will also fulfill the function of a turn-tracking thread- it can send out automatic notification when your turn becomes available (and perhaps a warning if your turn timer is about to expire?). However this looks completely broken in the current beta, so I don't know the specifics.

Play sessions are just one of the features- the turn timer and ability to play without loading a save are enough that the only reason I can see people playing true PBEM anymore would be if someone has to play on a machine that doesn't have a direct internet connection.

One other thing- its not clear yet if an elapsed timer would just skip the player's turn or have the AI play it. Hopefully the final version will allow you to choose...

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel2D

It will also fulfill the function of a turn-tracking thread-
                  No more +1s? :arrghno!:
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Better get a game started with the beta before they fix that part- huge map, marathon speed, 18 players...

Comment

Ahem...Zargon are you going to get this PBEM rolling. My recommendation for turn order is of course based on location per GMT.

Email for those who have never PBEMed with me: rhothaerill TA comcast TOD net

Comment

If the game hasn't started yet and there's still room for another player, I'd be interested. I put up a post to try to start a game of my own here but no one has replied yet. So until someone does, I'm still looking for a game to join.

Comment

Yes, everyone please post their location so we can determine turn order, as well as your email addys so we can send the turns!
                          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

EST evenings

I'm in NY, so that'd be EST and I'm home nearly every night starting around 6:30pm EST and am usually up until around 1am EST. So can do turns anytime during that time frame. And can also get a quick turn in in the morning before work if need be at 7:30am EST.

I'll PM ya my email addy.

Comment

Any room left in this game, I am fast player -- have all the upgrades etc.

Time is EST.
                              The stupid shall be punished.
                              www.akulla3D.com
                              ^^^
                              "Never interupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Talk to Zargon. I think we had 6 already, so we'll have to see about 8.

Oh and PST for me (-8 GMT) though I think I already mentioned that in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X