Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
    I do have a SMTP password.

And the game demands me to reveal server and password of my account to somebody unknown on an internet forum??

Guess I won't play much cIV PBEM
    Not at all, the prompt for your pw happens at the end of your turn and is not something the host has to enter into the "player details" screen.

CS
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

SR, check out my previous post. You don't give out your SMTP password to anyone. At the end of your turn, CIV IV will automatically prompt your for your email account password to email the save to the next player (in the case you filled in the SMTP server name field during setup or by pressing Alt-D during your turn).

The civilization password during setup is NOT your SMTP password...it's a password you can enter on your turn by pressing Alt-D and is used to access the save file during your turn.

On a side note, it would have preferred the manual to have done a better explanation of these features instead of wasting all those pages on reference material found in the Civiliopedia...

Comment

marcsterix,

I think what Sir Ralph is referring to is that an application (civ4.exe or whatever) is passing account/password information to a third party. This is possibly true if you use the ingame mailer of the saves.

It's a legitimate security concern as civ4 has little or no information available regarding these type of issues.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I can't be sure, but I doubt anyones' username and password is being passed on within the save.

The only information recorded and accessible is the SMTP server name (which is not that big a deal). The username and password is prompted by the game right before it attempts to email the game (just like CanuckSoldier pointed out above).

That leads me to believe it works just like any other email program, when sending an email that requires authentication, it requests the account username and password from us (most people have this already setup in their email settings and don't deal with it). There's no username or passwords to be found on the email sent.

Comment

I have followed the procedures to the letter.

I have attempted twice at setting up a pbem game

twice it has not worked

would firewalls be a culprit?

Runing Norton's and MSN's
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

bump

CS
              Global Admin/Owner
              Civilization Players Leagues
              www.civplayers.com
              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

So is there anyone who has found the solution to the Player 1 trade problems? I have seen some work arounds in other threads for individual games, but i think it should go here as well.

If you start player 1 as Human and retire them on first turn does that solve the problem, or does player 2 become player 1 and the problem transfers?

I have also read that loading the game old-style instead of from your inbox solves some of the trading/player name problems as well. has anyone verified these? Preparing to start a PBEM tonight and I want to make sure it gets off to the right start.
                Law of 5th Contingency - "If your 4th contingency has failed, there is no point in checking your 5th. Just accept the world is out to get you." -Earthworm

Comment

Originally posted by Earthworm
                  I have also read that loading the game old-style instead of from your inbox solves some of the trading/player name problems as well. has anyone verified these? Preparing to start a PBEM tonight and I want to make sure it gets off to the right start.
                  Emeror_V actaully reported that the problem persists after loading saves that way.
                  Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

I tested it out earlier by making a mock 2 player pbem game...I was able to quick advance in turns to start a trading session and didn't incounter any difficulty in opening borders or giving away a city. So I didn't reproduce the bug.

I will note that I was loading the game directly from CIV and not opening it from outside the game...so it might be that it happens in such cases.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, I'm player 1 in an ongoing pbem so we'll see...

Comment

Hi guys,

I’m trying to get a Warlords PBEM game running with a buddy of mine, and am having a lot of difficulties getting the game to do the turn email sending automatically. (i.e. to save us all this manual attachment sending we’re having to do)

We’re using the same web/email hosting company (1and1.co.uk), which does requires SMTP secure password authentication to send email. It’s not a free service.

We both use Outlook, and having it set to use the correct secure SMTP setting, experience no problems sending or receiving emails otherwise. Port 25 is working fine for our regular SMTP email sending.

Now in-game (Warlords), when I finish my turn and try to automate a turn send to him without putting in the SMTP secure settings, the error report I get back is:

Failed to send e-mail.
                      >various address details<
                      All recipient addresses refused.

I know I've listed his email address correctly. So if I put the correct SMTP secure settings in also, the error report I get back is:

Failed to send e-mail.
                      Error 535: Error: authentication failed
                      Authentication Error: The server didn’t accept the username/password combination provided.

Now I know I’ve put the correct SMTP details in.

Any advice?

Was there ever any solution to this shoddy bit of programming?

Heeeelp!!! (this manual attachment sending is madness inducing…)

Cheers all.
                      Last edited by Rockfrog; December 20, 2006, 20:05.

Comment

I have never had any luck with the internal game emailing setup. I don't know that they ever fixed it to work with secure SMTP.

That said, I've never even gotten it to TRY to send one, as in i've never gotten a response from my mailer in the first place...

Sorry Mayhap some of the more frequent PBEMers would be able to help. I am a PTBS junkie now...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockfrog
                          Hi guys,

I’m trying to get a Warlords PBEM game running with a buddy of mine, and am having a lot of difficulties getting the game to do the turn email sending automatically. (i.e. to save us all this manual attachment sending we’re having to do)

We’re using the same web/email hosting company (1and1.co.uk), which does requires SMTP secure password authentication to send email. It’s not a free service.

We both use Outlook, and having it set to use the correct secure SMTP setting, experience no problems sending or receiving emails otherwise. Port 25 is working fine for our regular SMTP email sending.

Now in-game (Warlords), when I finish my turn and try to automate a turn send to him without putting in the SMTP secure settings, the error report I get back is:

Failed to send e-mail.
                          All recipient addresses refused.

I know I've listed his email address correctly. So if I put the correct SMTP secure settings in also, the error report I get back is:

Failed to send e-mail.
                          Error 535: Error: authentication failed
                          Authentication Error: The server didn’t accept the username/password combination provided.

Now I know I’ve put the correct SMTP details in.

Any advice?

Was there ever any solution to this shoddy bit of programming?

Heeeelp!!! (this manual attachment sending is madness inducing…)

Cheers all.
                          I have the same problem.
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas
                          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                          X