Internet Pitboss Disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Pitboss Disconnects

I am trying to host an internet Pitboss game among some friends of mine. Almost daily I will get the message Disconnected: The server has broken our connection. When this happens I have to save, close Pitboss, and reload the game. If I am at work or asleep it can be several hours before I notice and other players miss their chance to play.

Am I the only one that has this problem? Is there a fix? How are other people able to host Internet Pitboss games?

This is making the game almost unplayable. I hope someone can help me.

Yes, hosting a PitBoss game through GameSpy can be frustrating.

What I do is save my game 3-4 times a day (depending on how many players have actually "played" between saves)...but just don't overwrite the one save. I will add a letter after the year to indicate how many times I have saved the game during that game year - For example, my first save for game year 3040 BC would be just: "Pitboss_BC-3040" (the default). My next save would then be: Pitboss_BC-3040a" The third save for the game year would be: Pitboss_BC-3040b and so on and so forth.

If I notice that GameSpy has cut my connection, I first save the game (maybe it would be Pitboss_BC-3040d in this case). Then I would restart my computer (why not? since the connection has already been broken...). Then I would restart my Pitboss game and load the last save - in this case, it would be the Pitboss_BC-3040d save. Then I would restart CivStats.

I hope this helps BlueWaldo...

Comment

The optimal solution (other than buying Gamespy a reliable server ) is to not use Internet, but instead DirectIP. If you don't reboot your computer or reset your internet connection very often, this is simple to play ... use a site like www.whatismyip.com or similar to determine your IP, then send it out, and any time you reboot, just do it again.

Or, do like I do, and use www.dyndns.com and get a free dynamic DNS entry. It installs a small service on your computer that updates the DNS servers with your updated IP address any time it changes (within 5 minutes).

Either way, DirectIP PTBS games don't get reset by GameSpy, only by your local computer's problems.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You can find automatically created backups of each player's latest turn here:

'...\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves\multi\auto' for vanilla.

Or

'...\My Documents\My Games\Warlords\Saves\multi\auto' for Warlords.

Comment

Working...
        X