[PBEM] Pen vs Paintbrush Round V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PBEM] Pen vs Paintbrush Round V

The ship started to break up. The main computer started the automated ejection sequence launching the eight suspended animation capsules towards the planet below. The UN spaceship had citizens from eight nations - each nation's precious human cargo in a seperate capsule. All were launched towards the planet. A few minutes after the capsules were launched, the UN spaceship exploded.

Each capsule landed at different points on the planet. Once on the ground, the master computer on the suspended animation capsules powered up the incubators and started uniting the sperm and the eggs from the distant mother nation into embryos. The advanced genetic engineering administered by the computer transformed these embroys into young adults over the course of several weeks.

One day as the sun rose over the desolate countryside, the machinery roared to life and expelled the genetically grown humans from the individual capsules. As the newly formed humans stood, a computer screen flickered to life as a solitary individual appeared on the monitor and started speaking in German -- teaching the new humans the mother tongue of the Earth nation Germany. A privilege earned due to the sponsorship of the UN spaceship.

Across the planet, this process was repeated with each of the other seven capsules. The unspoken questions were philosophical and rhetoric from the inanimate observations of this new world. What will be the future of these people? Would there be fighting or cooperation? War or Peace? How far has the human condition been advanced? Are humans slaves to their genetic code, or can a different environment produce a different result? Only time will tell.
    Attached Files
    Haven't been here for ages....

The specifics of this world:

Noble difficulty
    Custom Continents
    Standard Size
    Arid Climate
    Low Sealevel
    Ancient Era
    Normal Speed
    2 Continents
    Standard options
    All victory conditions possible

Play Order
    1. Shogun Gunner - Descendants of Greece
    2. AI
    3. AI
    4. AI
    5. Golden Bear -- Descendants of Germany
    6. AI
    7. AI
    8. AI

Comment

reserved

Comment

4000 BC to Golden Bear

Comment

Oh sure. Reserve a spot for your drivel. Leave the poor bear with nothing. Nice lead in.

I tend more towards the molecules swimming in primordial spawn opening, but can respect your effort.

Are we space-spawn or noble creatures finding their own creativity from the lands that created them?

Save received and I'll turn it around in a bit.

Comment

3960 to SG.

From dimly seen campfires seen in the distance the scarce and scant peoples of a desolate land found company. Over time they felt more comfort with nearness and came to know their fellows. The biological drive to spread genetic code outside the family group leads people to seek others and eventually to find trust because of relationship.

A tiny, tiny settlement of 2 or 3 flimsy structures is how it starts. A family in one and another in the second. The third holds - some things will never, ever, change - the burden of a brother with a wife and too many children and too little interest in foraging for them all.

Do they start in fear and practice with crude weapons, scarce more than clubs? Or do they look to a grander vision and build for a greater future?

Clubs seem to be the deciding factor at all ages.

Comment

3960 To Golden Bear.

A side note. My scout popped a hut and it said "the villagers give you a new technology", but they didn't say which one. When I checked my science screen, I didn't have any new techs. I wonder if I will get that next turn. Sometimes there's a timing issue in cIV compared to previous versions of civ.

Just sharing some information about the game since we are all learning the mechanics and looking for bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear
                Oh sure. Reserve a spot for your drivel. Leave the poor bear with nothing. Nice lead in.

I tend more towards the molecules swimming in primordial spawn opening, but can respect your effort.

Are we space-spawn or noble creatures finding their own creativity from the lands that created them?

Save received and I'll turn it around in a bit.
                Thanks.

We are genetically engineered humans protected and sheparded by space launched technology. We are essentially a seed planted by the people of our heritage -- done this way due to the distances being so great in space. This method has the advantages of placing viable humans on another planet far, far away from Earth. However, the downside is that they need to learn everything that earth has learned over thousands of years all over again. They have some help from the computers sent with the modules, but they won't last forever. Eventually, it will depend on good old fashion human ingenuity, leadership, and problem solving.

Comment

3920 to Shogun Gunner.

Culture may be among the most difficult of traits to put into genetically engineered seed since their seems to be little reason to believe that it is anything but learned.

Perhaps the SS creators built in tiny education units...

I also just popped a goody hut and got a message about receiving a new tech. When I looked in the F6 screen I could see what it is. :happy:

I have noticed that the tech screen does not always correctly color the known techs early in the game. I have observed that many times!

So what did you get? I learned how to make double chocolate chocolate chip ice cream!! Immediate culture bomb!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking more carefully at the tech tree to try and discerne what happened. The message in the chat log doesn't even tell you which tech it was. Strange.

Yes, tiny educational units -- along with the language instruction were sent with the eight pods. It's a start, but a different pathway is possible - even likely - compared to the original human story.

Then again, Germans have certain tendencies that are well -- perhaps ingrained into their DNA? Very organized, logical thinkers for one thing.

The Greeks are sure to continue complaining about the Turks

3920 back to you

Comment

3880 to SG.
                      -----

Of course, if they had little cultural pods attached to make certain that "Greek," "German," and others were passed on correctly, why did they not pass on the knowledge to build SSs?

Ah (slaps forehead) so silly of me. Their studies demonstrated that tiny societies confronted with the complexities of industry and SSs would wilt. So, of course, they only educated them on the few useful traits that they deemed necessary to survive in the New Planet! Each culture chose differently, anxiously hoping that their choices would prove to be the critical ones to give ascendence, over time to their ethos.

However, the Overseers (really smart engineers without any managers, LOL) realized that such parochialism could lead to utter disaster and a failure at all to propagate the race - which was facing seething emminent disaster from overpopulation and poor resource management.

Realizing that they had but one chance to make this work, the Overseers programmed into the genetic code of all the disparate seed the framework of the entire course of human technological development. They included hopeless theoretical choices such as "environmentalism," and "pacifism" (bwahaaaa!) in the desperate wish that this recreated earth could somehow break loose of the stranglehold of history.

Naaaw. Won't happen. Did cockroaches come with them?

Comment

3880 to Golden Bear

Comment

3840 to SG.

Comment

3840 to GB

Comment

3800 to SG.

Comment

Working...