PBEM Setup instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM Setup instructions

Due to the fact that the manual is not very friendly in this regard here are the steps to setup a PBEM in CIV.

1. You are the host: in your organizing the game you will need several options from the players.

a. There email address.

b. There SMTP server(this is so that the game can email the save directly without you manually emailing each save, example if a smtp server: smtp.telus.net)

c. Players will need to know there SMTP password(most smtp servers DO NOT require a pw to SEND mail, just to D/L it, so don't email the host with your "pop" password, for the odd person that has a ISP that requires a pw to send mail, this option is for you), the host doesn't need this info but you may.

d. The Civ they want, and if they want a custom "Civ Description", ie Greek Empire, a "Short Description", ie Greece, a "Civ Adjective" ie Greek.

e. There Civ password.

2. After you get all this info you enter this in the PBEM Staging Room. Click on the "Player Details" icon to the left of the player name in the list. It looks like a rectangle with a portrait in the top left. And enter all the details in the fields.

3. If you don't get the smtp info, it's no problem, the game will save the the game in a pbem folder in the "pbem/your game name" folder, in your My games folder. You just have to manually email it. And the players can enter this same data by using "Alt+D" to access the Player Details, the only difference in the in game PD screen is that the fields don't have text lables to the left, you have to mouse over the empty fields to find out what they are from the popups.

4. Also the PBEM "admin" should enter an "Admin Password". To do this, during your first turn as a player, use "Shift+Alt+D" and enter a pw in the field. This lets you play any players turn if required.

5. At the end of each turn the game will either send the save by email ingame or will save it to your HD, and after this it pauses the game, you can't unpause it. Your only option is click on the "open main menu" button or hit the esc on your keyboard and chose an option there.

6.At the end turn, the game gives you a "Don't send/OK" dialog if you have entered a email and smtp server. Also here is two fields that give you the option to enter a smtp username and and password. If you didn't enter a email/smtp the game just gives you a simple message that the game has been saved for you to manually email it. After you hit OK, it sends the emails and displays a message indicating that the email has been sent to "player@player.net".

6. Ofcourse to load your PBEM chose, Multiplayer-PBEM-Load Game, or just open the save in your email and CIV will launch and open it as a PBEM game, and you are off to the races.

CS

Edit: Changes made to reflect the below issues
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

well

I just "accidentl;y" found that you can load the pbem game from within the email inbox..just like Call To Power

CIVIII was bass-ackwards..receive the email save, save it to the folder, launch the game open the save play,save and then open the email backup and attach

This is way too kool

Thanks for yet another step forward to all the neat guys who made this game

Gramps
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Re: PBEM Setup instructions

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier

6. Ofcourse to load your PBEM chose, Multiplayer-PBEM-Load Game, and you are off to the races.

CS
      or load it directly from the inbox of your email as well

Comment

Re: Re: PBEM Setup instructions

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

or load it directly from the inbox of your email as well
        Nice I never tried that, I wonder if all saves are properly assiciated in windows and the game hands them equally as gracefully.....offto test this now.

CS
        Global Admin/Owner
        www.civplayers.com
        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Re: PBEM Setup instructions

b. There SMTP server(this is so that the game can email the save directly without you manually emailing each save, example if a smtp server: smtp.telus.net)

c. There SMTP password(most smtp servers DO NOT require a pw to SEND mail, just to D/L it, so don't email the host with your "pop" password, for the odd person that has a ISP that requires a pw to send mail, this option is for you)
          Well... for c. where is the space to enter a smtp password? The Player Details just give me the smtp server and a civ4 password but no smtp pass, but my smtp doesn't send anything without proper access via password and username... .

Btw how do i know whether the email is sent or not... it just gives me the "configure a email adress so civ4 can send the saved game via email ingame"-Thingy.

please help a civ-anon!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: PBEM Setup instructions

Nice I never tried that, I wonder if all saves are properly assiciated in windows and the game hands them equally as gracefully.....offto test this now.

CS
            that wqas one of the things that ticked me off about pbem in CIV III

open email/save to a folder/escape email/start civ game/load save/play save/save the save/escape from game/open email/open new email and attach save

darned fricking frustrating

this however works just like CTP only game is a bunch funner than CTP
            and I have to tell ya

I LOVE Call To Power folks

Im as staunch a supporter of CTP as YIN26 was a vocal well.."Opposition" of CIVIII

anyhoo
            enjoy all

Gramps

Comment

Re: Re: PBEM Setup instructions

Originally posted by Davie

Well... for c. where is the space to enter a smtp password? The Player Details just give me the smtp server and a civ4 password but no smtp pass, but my smtp doesn't send anything without proper access via password and username... .

Btw how do i know whether the email is sent or not... it just gives me the "configure a email adress so civ4 can send the saved game via email ingame"-Thingy.

please help a civ-anon!
              Ah a slight mistake, the smtp username and pw are options in the end turn screen.

At the end of your turn, if you've entered a email and smtp info it gives you a dialog, with a Don't send an a OK option, as well as two "blank fields" one for your smtp user name and one for your pw.

When you click ok after filling it in as required it sends the email. And gives you the "E-mail to player@player.net successfully sent" message.

CS
              Global Admin/Owner
              www.civplayers.com

Comment

Do you actually have to fill in a smtp username and password? I didn't think smtp required these ... but I of course could be wrong I couldn't get this to work, anyway, so maybe that's why ...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm. I tried it ... and it didn't work, with either my yahoo account or gmail. Has anyone done it successfully with either server, and how did you?

Yahoo:
                  username: snoopy369 password (same as email password)
                  server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

gmail:
                  username: snoopy369@gmail.com password (same as email)
                  server: smtp.gmail.com

Both require port 587, and gmail requires TLS security, so perhaps neither server will play well with this?
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has successfully used a free emial server, I'll try sending to a save and see how much luck I have with it.

CS
                    Global Admin/Owner
                    www.civplayers.com

Comment

Ok it does look like CIV is coded to use port 25, and I don't see any way to change this in the ini, but I'll bring this to the attention of the dev's.

CS
                      Global Admin/Owner
                      www.civplayers.com

Comment

Not all smtp servers need authorization... but mine does

Hm, even if i entered an email adress it doesn't give me the dialog...

but i try again

thx for the replys

Comment

The option to enter a pw is not in the "player details" it only appears in the end turn dialog, but you only get that dialog if you have entered both a email and a smtp in the player details.

CS
                          Global Admin/Owner
                          www.civplayers.com

Comment

The option to enter a pw is not in the "player details" it only appears in the end turn dialog, but you only get that dialog if you have entered both a email and a smtp in the player details.
                            ... Which you can change during the game if you hit Alt-D. So if the admin screwed something up you can still get the stuff to work eventually.

Vovan
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

The port 25 is being phased out by several ISP and other mail providers...Mine is using 587 also

It would have been nice if they had a INI file where all you needed to do is swap the outgoing mail port...

Anyone know of a free outgoing mail provider that uses port 25?

M.

Comment

Working...
                              X