Time to Pick a Leader & Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Pick a Leader & Civ

Hey folks, it looks like we have 9 total teams in the game. They put the teams into a random number generator and we will be the third team to pick. This is the pick order:

Team WePlayCiv
    Team Civforum.de
    Team Apolyton
    Team Spanish Apolyton
    Team Civfanatics
    Team CivPlayers
    Team Realms Beyond
    Team UniversCivilization
    Team Civfr

We will then be the third to last team to pick in the second round.

I think we were mostly in agreement that Elizabeth should be our top choice for leader. So I recommend we try to get her in the first round and then pick our civ in the second round.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

agreed. Leader traits are far more important than any uu/ubs
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Yes we are agreed Liz is our first choice, nevertheless we need to have 2nd and third options just in case. Also we need to think of options for the civ choice.
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Well, if mzprox is our economic leader, we should ask what he feels better with: PHI or FIN? Seems like we need to pick that trait first w/o Liz, then focus on the second trait. I am guessing PHI...

Comment

Mzprox said earlier:

1 Elizabeth
          2-3 Peter-Pericles
          4 Gandhi
          I would make Pericles 2nd choice.

PS. What is the map size?? > this hugely affects which leader is best..

Comment

Guess that means PHI.

So, we need to decide on the second trait if not FIN.

I prefer CRE or EXP, I think. I don't normally play EXP, but given my predilection for workers, I don't see why I don't Basically, I agree with mzprox's two second choices, perhaps leaning towards Pericles.

For map size: I imagine we're getting a "normal" amount of space to expand into for whatever size map it is.

Comment

For map size: I imagine we're getting a "normal" amount of space to expand into for whatever size map it is.
              If so then I vote against EXP, CRE is better in that case..

Comment

We can't go wrong with Elizabeth for sure. Philosophical leader gives a very good science boost during early-med game. They are not so popular choices for multigames tough, at least in those i saw at RB-'s site.
                So picking Elizabeth is good, but if we can't get her I think we don't need to worry for Pericles or Peter (Exp trait is consiered to be among the strongest, fast granaries help a lot, cheaper workers also could save whole turns in the begining)
                My point so we go with Elizabeth, but if we can't get her we might choose a civ instead. Some unique buildings are really great and starting techs are also important. I prefer to have a civ which starts with warrior (so no hunting)-but my prefered civ, the aztecs are one of those huning civs.

Comment

The snakepit process will start 5 june over at CFC. A team has up to 24 hrs to make its first pick.
                  On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

sounds good to me with either philo.
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

So we know the leader, what about the civ assuming we're playing any leader can play any civ? MY experience is in MP games who ever gets to bronze working first has a huge advantage as they can nab the bronze and start getting axes. Which ever civ we take should start with a warrior and should start with a tech which helps us on the bronze working line. Failing that I'd go for a civ which helps us nab a religion.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

let's see our options for civ. Some general points:

pro for a civ:
                        -starting without hunting (so with a warrior)
                        -starting tech: mining (leads to bronze working, gives job to worker)
                        -startting tech: agriculture (very usefull and relatively expensive)
                        -unique unit which is usefull for early game or for a long period (free promotion which is kept after upgrade)
                        -unique building which gives economic advantage and realtively early.

Going through on this list:
                        Quick Links Click a leader portrait below to access the detailed intelligence report for that particular civilization. Conquests (C3C) Civilizations: Play the World (PTW) Civilizations: Original Civilizations:

I collect those civs which we should consider, I only put civs here which has at least somewhat useful UB.

Aztecs

Jaguar
                        Sacrificial Altar
                        Mysticism
                        Hunting

Very bad starting techs but a very powerful unique building. It's a cheaper courthouse and if I look at my last game it could mean about 10 extra happyness/ city. UU is not that good, but promoted units keep woodsman I.

Carthage

Numidian Cavalry
                        Cothon
                        Fishing
                        Mining

Very strong if we start and spread along the coast, but risky take if we don't know more about the map. UB:+1 trade route

Dutch

East Indiaman
                        Dike
                        Fishing
                        Agriculture

Dike(leeve):+1 prod on water tiles very strond, but requires coastal cities. And in that case I'd consider CArthage as a better pick

Egypt

War Chariot
                        Obelisk
                        Agriculture
                        The Wheel

Expensive starting techs and good UU. UB is not that usefull

England

Redcoat
                        Stock Exchange
                        Fishing
                        Mining

Stock exchange is 15% extra money, redcoats are nice but riflemens are usually short lived units, fishing is map dependent.

Holy Roman Empire

Landsknecht
                        Rathaus
                        Hunting
                        Mysticism

very bad starting techs, strong UB: -75% maintenance instead of 50%. Even more useful on a torodial map.

Inca

Quechua
                        Terrace
                        Agriculture
                        Mysticism

One of the civs which is considered to be top choice. +2 culture granaries, especially combined with an exp civ..

India

Fast Worker
                        Mausoleum
                        Mysticism
                        Mining

An other top choice. The always usefull fast workers, +2 happiness from jail is also very good

Korea

Hwacha
                        Seowon
                        Mysticism
                        Mining

+10% science on universities, not bad

Mali

Skirmisher
                        Mint
                        Mining
                        The Wheel

10% money on forges, good UU and starting techs.

Ottomans

Janissary
                        Hammam
                        Agriculture
                        The Wheel

Expensive starting techs, +2 happy face aqueducts are quite good, UU has no big role.

Portugal

Carrack
                        Feitoria
                        Fishing
                        Mining

UB: +1 commerce on water I'd put Carthage and the Dutch above this pick

Rome

Praetorian
                        Forum
                        Fishing
                        Mining

Praetorians..

Sumeria

Vulture
                        Ziggurat
                        Agriculture
                        The Wheel

Ziggurat is a cheaper courthouse which comes earlier. Good if we want to build a spy economy. combined with a phi/org leader especially... Otherwise I'd choose the rathaus.

Zulu

Impi
                        Ikhanda
                        Agriculture
                        Hunting

Ikhanda is a barrack with -20% maintenance

Comment

my picks in order (assuming pangea map):

-India
                          -Aztec
                          -Inca
                          -Korea/England/Mali

I'm quite sure India and Inca will be taken if we don't choose them first.
                          We could consider making our first pick as either India or Elizabeth. If both are available I'd choose India before Elizabeth. fast workers could save us turns in the beginning and instead of Liz we can have phi/cre, phi/org, phi/exp or phi/spi. all viable choice and phi leaders are that popular in mp games. (India is)

Comment

My choices are Inca and HRE (starting techs are very good to beeline religion, oracle and then code of laws, and then the UB is avaiable)

Comment

I thought pangaea was being kicked around, which means we're likely to see less coastal stuff. Also think that trade routes will be less important than in diplogames given way more closed borders, especially if we get ahead in tech.

As such, Carthage and the Dutch don't make as much sense to me.

I like the Aztecs somewhat since we're going with toroidal and likely an ESP-heavy game. Starting techs do suck, though, and I'm not a huge fan of the UU either.

England has good starting techs, but they're really midgame-lategame oriented in Us - pass.

HRE I like, though starting techs aren't great. Can't really go for the early religion cause then we end up without improvements for too long, so mysticism isn't worth much here. Still, the Us are nice and worth the poor start I think.

Inca is solid, plus we might be able to go for an early religion if we have a solid agricultural start. The UU isn't so great, but the Terrace is a free trait basically. Definitely works well with EXP.

India - love it. Fast worker is probably the best UU, the jail is a bit late but nice, and the starting techs are versatile in that we can go for an early religion or get BW quickly, plus we have a key improvement tech while we wait on things.

Korea - above average. Nice with a CRE leader.

Portugal - again, if we're unlikely to see much coast we can pass, though +1C on water plus a FIN trait plus Colossus makes for a real killer combo.

Rome - solid choice. I like the UB and UU and the starting techs are fairly decent.

Basically:
                              1. India
                              2. Inca
                              3. Rome

Comment

Working...
                              X