Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Earth Map Diplogame (Diaspora of Afroasiatics?) - [Planning Thread] Discuss Ruleset, Map etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    A link to a Civ 5 Diplogame planning thread on Civfanatics:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php? t=523721

Maybe we can all consolidate? It will make for a larger game . If this is legitimately I will start a proper thread in gthe Civ V forum over here with links...stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    Update on the new Diplogame (DoA)

A. Possible Names for the game:

1. Diplomacy of Ages
    2. Dawn of Antiquity
    3. Diaspora of Ancients

B. Game Format:

I am almost sad to say this, but with the newest updates and especially with the new expansion "Brave New World" (BNW), I have finally started playing Civ 5 after putting it aside in disgust four years ago. With the updates and upgrades (especially the new Pitboss upgrade), I am finding Civ 5 to be simply better and Civ 4 is feeling dated now when i try to play it. More and more I am thinking that i will finish up the Civ 4 games i am in, and finally put Civ4 away for good in favor of Civ 5.

So I am now planning to do the Diplogame pitboss on BNW instead of BTS. I will post a thread in The Civ 5 forum soon and post links to there in this thread. I would still love to hear thoughts in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• England (DoB)
    replied
    I for one am a big fan of all civs being present.

My preference would be normal speed. On fast you miss a few turns while out of town and a lot can happen.

Why close the greenland gap if all civs are enabled? And to be honest it is impossible to really close as there are other ways to make the jump (for example Africa to Brazil). I would instead suggest making it navigable from the get go.

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    So now that DoB is officially over, we can discuss this game with more focus. He is what I am going with so far in terms of the game.

1. All Civilizations -( Non played Civs will be AI)
    2. APT Mod (The Mod that automatically restricts doublemoves)
    3. Fast Speed (or Normal... we can discuss this)\
    4. Measured War - (No elimination of Civs by human players, including the AI Civs) no other restrictions on combat.
    5. Same Mods from DoB
    6. Reduce the number of resources, particularly the ones linked to culture production in the Corporations
    7. Close the Greenland "gap" that allowed early New World settlement

Leave a comment:

• Spain (DoB)
    replied
    Since DoB is ending within two days, do we plan on making this game a reality? I'm going to miss playing in a diplogame, so I hope we don't have to wait too long before we get a new one!

Leave a comment:

• Dick76
    replied
    that sounds well

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    I have been very busy lately, but I plan on bringing this back up in March when some of my responsibilities will lighten.

Leave a comment:

• Dick76
    replied
    From the above posts I see that seems nice and meaningful game, please keep me in mind for participation in it

Leave a comment:

• Persia (DoB)
    replied
    Regarding the "Diaspora of Afroasiatics"

Diluculo Omnigenus Hereditas (DoH)

dawn, daybreak / of all kinds / inheritance, often simply "property"

Decerno Olim Conservo (DoC)

to decide, determine, settle / at that time, formerly, once, for a long time now / to preserve, conserve, maintain, keep, hold to

Making a title sound like something that does not curl the tongue, well.. how about this instead:

Dynasty of Coherence

Hah! Scratch that.

Dynasty of Confrontations

Sounds like a promise of interesting times

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    Thinking more on incentives to diploscore... What about linking it to Wonder/ Holy City construction? As in, you would need to be in the top X% of diploscores to be able to complete any World Wonder or Holy Shrine. You could still build the Wonder and get failgold, but you could not complete it. If you accidentally complete it, we would just reload.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    Spain does raise some good points that I did not consider. I guess another way to incentivize diplo is to give everyone more points to use. That might be simpler than the GNP dividing proposal... which I am thinking has too much math and would raise administration problems, like when someone refuses to give the money willingly, and then quits if the tax is imposed on them forcibly.

Another thing is the diplo-tax idea feels a little like a penalty for losing instead of a reward for winning. As I mentioned before, I would like to try to avoid penalties in general. Plus if the administrator is playing the game too, we don't want him having to log into people's Civs all the time to enforce penalties.

Leave a comment:

• Japan (DoB)
    replied
    I find Spain's comments compelling. It wouldn't be best.

That said, finding any ways to incentivize story-telling would be good (and maybe I should get on that too, eh?).

My idea: end of the month scores (not cumulative) are posted, then the top 5 players get to divide up 100% of GNP from everyone for 1 turn. So everyone has to give like 35% to #1, 25% to #2, 20% to #3, 10% to #4, and 10% to #5. Call it "cultural exchange". Ties = both get the lowest possible gift (so if there's a 3-way tie for first, everyone gets 20% not 35%), or there are tie-breakers for who can make the best story post within 3 days.

Leave a comment:

• Spain (DoB)
    replied
    Originally posted by Sommerswerd View Post
    Another thing I was thinking about... What about making the two Diploscore leaders immune to declarations of War? That is the player with the highest total diploscore, as well as the player with the highest score for the last month are both immune to having War declared on them... They can still DoW someone if they choose, but no one can DoW them for the month... What do you think? It would give a real incentive to stay competitive in the diploscore... I just worry that its too complicated.
    That idea would render the most active diploplayers completely immune to war, unless you limit it to one month. It could be worked as when one of the top two positions are replaced, the new incumbent is granted one month immunity to war. But to be honest, I don't like the idea. Looking at the current diploscores in DoB it would take years for some of the civs to catch up if they wished to be granted diplomatic immunity against war, and it also introduces the problem of tactical voting to ensure that someone who is a prime target and currently leading in the diploscore should be knocked down. This could lead to players not giving votes to really good diplostories, eventually driving players away from writing stories because it's no point in doing so as they won't get votes for it because someone wants to attack them.

Leave a comment:

• Sommerswerd
    replied
    It made sense to me, but I didn't code it myself, so I was not sure whether it worked that way or not. But if you're sure it does then I will take your word for it.

Another thing I was thinking about... What about making the two Diploscore leaders immune to declarations of War? That is the player with the highest total diploscore, as well as the player with the highest score for the last month are both immune to having War declared on them... They can still DoW someone if they choose, but no one can DoW them for the month... What do you think? It would give a real incentive to stay competitive in the diploscore... I just worry that its too complicated.

Leave a comment:

• Japan (DoB)
    replied
    Surprised you didn't know that the known_tech bonus is only for known civs, hence a very big reason to contact all civs ASAP in a game for the full effect (plus trade + diplo, of course). I mean, it's been years since I delved into the game mechanics that deeply, but I'm fairly certain that's the case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X