Domination of Barbarians [Diplo Game] [Organization Thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by England (DoB) View Post
    I am not a huge fan of having an honor system to split turns while in war. There will be lots of mix ups and allegations of cheating as has been the case in past games. Also it could make taking turns nearly impossible if your turn window lines up with work hours. If we get rid of measured war just get rid of it. Changing up rules for when you can log in during war will just complicate things and I don't see a reason why the two should be connected.

I personally don't think getting ride of measured war is a good idea either. Easing up some restrictions might make sense, but I think fully getting ride of them (also including major war I assume right) will result in carnage that will unbalance the game. Just to give two quick examples, what is to stop Persia form overrunning China or Greece from hitting HRE? As one of the more powerful civs I can live with the change and probably will benefit from it....but I think we should give this more thought. One alternate option would be if each civ was able to designate a few core cities for which measured war rules still applied. This way could fight war at periphery with less worry about losing core cities. Another idea could be allowing gold payments for captured cities rather than city swaps.

Anyhow, I strongly object to requiring war turn order. I highly encourage people to think through removing measured war and to talk this over before making a hasty change.
    I strongly agree with what England has written here, and oppose both the war turn order suggestion and the removal of the measured war rules. I am all for debating a possible rewrite of the measured war rules, but removing them entirely may potentially ruin the very spirit of this game, since one of the challenges of the game has been to work around them and make plans and contingencies for how to best deal with them.
    La República de Catalunya sempre en els nostres cors

Comment

• Originally posted by England (DoB) View Post
      I am not a huge fan of having an honor system to split turns while in war. There will be lots of mix ups and allegations of cheating as has been the case in past games. Also it could make taking turns nearly impossible if your turn window lines up with work hours.(1) If we get rid of measured war just get rid of it. Changing up rules for when you can log in during war will just complicate things and I don't see a reason why the two should be connected.

I personally don't think getting ride of measured war is a good idea either. Easing up some restrictions might make sense, but I think fully getting ride of them (also including major war I assume right) will result in carnage that will unbalance the game. Just to give two quick examples, what is to stop Persia form overrunning China or Greece from hitting HRE?(2a) As one of the more powerful civs I can live with the change and probably will benefit from it....but I think we should give this more thought. One alternate option would be if each civ was able to designate a few core cities for which measured war rules still applied. This way could fight war at periphery with less worry about losing core cities. Another idea could be allowing gold payments for captured cities rather than city swaps.(2b)

Anyhow, I strongly object to requiring war turn order. I highly encourage people to think through removing measured war and to talk this over before making a hasty change.
      Originally posted by Spain (DoB) View Post
      I strongly agree with what England has written here, and oppose both the war turn order suggestion and the removal of the measured war rules. I am all for debating a possible rewrite of the measured war rules, but removing them entirely may potentially ruin the very spirit of this game(3), since one of the challenges of the game has been to work around them and make plans and contingencies for how to best deal with them.
      Persia oppose this change.

1. More than work can get in the way of being there at just the right moment to save your civ.

2a+b. I think it would make things free for some, and bothersome for many. Nightmare scenario would see several player civs reduced to a single capitol with lots of "useless" gold, where the fun of the game would be reduced (to put it mildly) and likely seeing another player lost in the sands of time. If tech exchange was allowed, it could be a viable although very challenging rulechange, by making good stories a baseline for the exchange (daughter of leader married to opponent along with (player 1 gifts gold), recieving (player two gifts tech) as bridal gift).

3.Those rules are part of how we play this game. Removing them will upset the balance and potentially lead to an early end of the whole game brought on by players leaving due to too much war.

Comment

• Wow!... I must say I am gratified to see there is still so much support for the ruleset.

If people really like it, then I am glad, and I guess no changes are necessary

Working on the new thread now. I have a family BBQ to go to so I might not post the updated votes until tomorrow but the thread should be up shortly at least for new posts.

Comment

• Portugal is missing some serious turns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greece (DoB) View Post
            Portugal is missing some serious turns.
            Yeah, 15 turns now...

Wasn't 15 or 20 turns the limit for when a civ would be kicked to AI?
            La República de Catalunya sempre en els nostres cors

Comment

• 20 turns is the cutoff point. I will reach out to Portugal again.

Comment

• Now is the time to vote for the June Diploscore winner.

You can send your vote to me by PM or use this program to vote
                http://www.warner-home.com/DoB/ , but please dont use both as it is a little confusing to sort out.

Each Civ has 5 points TOTAL to allocate anyway you choose, except you can not vote for yourself (Voting for Barbarian Civs is discouraged). Remember that is 5 points total, not 5 for each Civ. So you can give 1 point to five different Civs or 5 points to one Civ or anything in between. If you don't vote there is no penalty, but you can't use the votes later.

Remember don't be a scummy double voter and please don't vote for yourself if you are subbing for anyone (for example, if China is casting votes for China and Japan, then Japan should not be voting for China, and China should not be voting for Japan).

As usual, we will leave the voting open all month, and announce the results at the end of the Month at the same time that we open the voting for next month. That way everyone gets plenty of time to read, catch up, notice that voting is going on etc. I will send everybody a PM.

Happy Voting

Most Importantly, Here is the current Leaderboard:

Netherlands = 79
                England = 54
                China = 45
                Persia = 36
                Holy Roma = 32
                Spain = 23
                Ottomans = 21
                Portugal = 15
                Greece = 10

(Japan = 79*, France = 60**, Russia = 44**, Arabia = 35*, Celtia = 27*, Byzantium = 23**, Rome = 22*, Vikings = 16*, Germany = 1*)
                * = Barbarian (AI Civ) , ** = Eliminated Civ

Here are the Final Results of the May voting:

Persia = 12
                Holy Roma = 8
                England = 3
                Netherlands = 2
                Spain = 2
                China = 1
                Greece = 1

Ottomans = 1

As a recap Here are the Final Results of the prior voting:
                April:
                England = 8 Holy Roma = 7 Persia = 7 Byzantium = 4 China = 2 Netherlands = 2 Celtia = 1 Germany = 1 Rome = 1 Russia = 1 Spain = 1 March: Holy Roma = 16, Japan = 9, France = 7, Rome = 5, Portugal = 4, Greece = 3, Netherlands = 3, Byzantium = 1, England = 1, Russia = 1 February: Persia = 14, Netherlands = 8, Arabia = 4, Byzantium = 3, France = 3, England = 2, Japan = 2, Rome = 2, Russia = 2January: Russia = 17, Vikings = 8, China = 7, Japan = 5, Arabia = 4, Ottomans = 4, England = 3, Celts = 2, France = 2, Netherlands = 2, Portugal = 1 December: Arabia = 10, Russia = 6, Netherlands = 6, Ottomans = 5, Japan = 2, France = 2, England = 2, China = 2, Spain = 1, Rome=1,Greece=1,Celtia= 1,Byzantium = 1 November: Spain = 12, Netherlands = 6, Russia = 6, England = 5, France = 4, Japan = 3, Rome = 2, Arabia = 2 October: Russia = 9, England = 9, France = 5, Celtia = 4, Japan = 3, Netherlands = 3, Portugal = 2, Arabia = 1, Byzantium = 1, China = 1, Greece = 1, Ottomans = 1 September: Netherlands=12, China=9, Celts=7, England=6, France=5, Japan=5, Greece=3, Portugal=2, Arabia=1 August: China = 8, Portugal = 4, Japan = 3, Netherlands = 3, England = 1, Ottomans = 1, France = 1, Russia = 1, Greece = 1, Holy Roma = 1, Spain = 1 July: Japan = 14, Netherlands = 12, China = 6, Byzantines = 5, France = 4, England = 3, Ottomans =2, Celts =2, Rome=1, Russia =1 June: Japan = 24, Netherlands = 6, Rome = 2, France = 2, Portugal = 2, Arabia = 1, England = 1, Vikings = 1, China = 1 May 2012: France = 15, Arabia = 9, Rome = 8, Celtia = 6, Netherlands = 6, England = 4, Byzantium = 4, Japan = 5, China = 3, Persia = 3, Vikings = 2 April 2012 - France: 11, Netherlands: 8, Ottomans: 7, England: 6, Spain: 6, China: 5, Vikings: 5, Celtia: 4, Japan: 4, Arabia: 3, Byzantium = 1

Congrats to Netherlands, the score leader . Well done everyone and keep it up!
                Last edited by Sommerswerd; July 16, 2013, 09:47.

Comment

• Anyone know how to post a chart from excel. I made a snazzy little power graph for us.
                  Last edited by England (DoB); July 15, 2013, 17:56.

Comment

• Try the Excel web app? Short how-to here:
                    Let’s take the example from the previous post one step forward, by adding a simple chart on top of the data: Here, you can see how slicers can filter the data, and the chart built on top of i…

Comment

• England. Your inbox is full.

Comment

• 18 turns on Portugal. Only 2 more left.

Comment

• So this is still going on, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by DNK View Post
                            So this is still going on, eh?
                            Yep, and still room to join if you have an appetite for it.

Comment

• What era and what civs are open?

I am seriously considering it after rereading through DoE.

Comment

• Portugal asks for end of the war as Major Nation.

Comment

Working...
                                X