No announcement yet.

Destruction of Foes (DoF) - Diplogame Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vote that we go without mods and tiers.
    http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

• to make it easy for everyone, no tiers or mods seems reasonable, though that would likely take away some of the possibilities for balance. I guess we will just have to tweak the map to an acceptable level.
      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• That was the success of DoD: a good map.
        It that keeps people on board, then I'd say we take a real map.

I do not see the advantage though for a non-story game.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• I also vote that we go for a good map without any mods and tiers (for practical reasons).
          But I hope for a lot of story telling in the game..

(PS. in DoE I'm just playing to keep a position alive which is undermanaged and has known 5000 years of peace (and still isn't finished with building improvements??) > I do like a good story and will contribute a lot..)

Comment

• hehe, thank the English for what improvements you do have

Comment

• I too agree with no mods and/or Tiers.

I think we should propose a date to star or else the game preparations and discussion will take longer than the game itself

How about April 11? (to allow time for some more discussions )

Cheers,

PMB

Comment

• April 7th! What more needs to be done? Make the map, pick civs, let's go.

Comment

• Agreed.

If need be I am willing to invest time in the map making; but I guess there more experienced mapmakers..
                  Let's get this puppy moving..

Comment

• Anything after April 6 (thats when my research paper is due) is great!

Comment

• The Inca have worked up the first draft of the map. The screen shot looks amazing! They are going to send it to me so I can do some final tweaking and we can get started. I'm going to need a final roster so I know how many civs to put on the map. Can everyone check in with a non-DoE username?

Copy & paste this list and add your name:

1. OzzyKP - Yes to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources

Also, it seems no one wants mods or tiers (so no putting weaker players near the map edge?) but what about new civs? There aren't enough stock civs to place on the map in historical locations. I'd love to have an Israel or Hungary for example. Maybe a Ukraine depending on things. There are new civs over at CFC that can be added easily. When you check-in please indicate whether you want to allow new civs.

Finally, please vote on custom resources too. The values will be exactly the same as for default resources, this will be 100% for flavor purposes. It won't affect balance or gameplay at all. So please also vote on custom resources.

Thanks!
                      Last edited by OzzyKP; April 1, 2011, 09:51.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Having made the map and being highly aware of it, I feel like letting players choose starting positions (without knowing resources/etc or seeing the actual map) by order of "most seemingly difficult" to "easiest" would be a good idea, but obviously that puts Ozzy at an advantage (he is doing most of the resources and final tweaking, so I have ~0 clue how each position will look in the end).

There are some positions that would be a slaughter for inexperienced or weaker players, and some that would be far too easy/isolated for stronger ones. I doubt the best players want a corner builder slot, and I severely doubt the weak players want to be Rome or Greece in the middle of the fray. I know Ozzy will balance the starts properly, but the level of diplo/strategic challenge is inescapably variable on a real-world map.

Also, I am willing to make a 100% aesthetic mod to alter resource images/names to appropriate ones like amber, lemons, olives, etc. This will have 0 effect on gameplay. I am not sure why anyone would object, but I think with all the effort put into the map's authenticity, throwing in rice/corn is an affrontery to reasonability!

Comment

• That is a completely excellent idea, Inca! I wholeheartedly agree with this concept and would love to see it applied for the sake of authenticity, being that it has, as Inca explained, 0 effect on gameplay.

I, DNK, am "in" and have no issue with custom civs, as it seems this map may have doubles of the same civs, not that I would have any knowledge of such things, just an educated guess based on LzPriest's map that the Inca have likely so very well turned into a proper game map.

1. OzzyKP - Yes to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources
                          2. DNK - Yes to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources

Comment

• 1. OzzyKP - Yes to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources
                            2. DNK - Yes to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources
                            3. PMBMaker - No to Custom Civs - Yes to Custom Resources

Comment

• I propose we make three groups with civ/position <> player combinations easy - intermediate - difficult.
                              Within each group the first one can choose freely, then the second and so on.

Ozzy should be the last to choose, and Inca the one before that.

I think I should be in the intermediate group.

Furthermore I propose that each starting position should have either copper or iron within city radius of the start position.

On resources:
                              please make some of the luxury resources ONLY available in the
                              east of the map (e.g. silk, dye, incense, spices etc),
                              some only in the south (e.g. papyrus, ivory, flax),
                              some in the west (e.g. clam, wheat, wine),
                              and some in the north (fur, deer, sheep).
                              Last edited by Calanthian; April 1, 2011, 12:08.

Comment

• I don't know what Ozzy will do, but I did basic strategic resources that were 100% balanced for pre-industrial (and fairly balanced, although wild-cardish after that), or very nearly that. That would mean, imo, that no civ would start without early metals nearby... I really won't know what the final map is truly like, especially if we end up with a number of players different from 13 (how many I put in). LzPriest's postings are about as accurate a guide as any to the map, as it was very heavily based on them and real-world data (with some artistic license, of course). Anyone who looks at that information knows about 90% of what I do in terms of how it will relate to choosing starts. Again, though, Ozzy could go wild on the thing.

Funny, I feel that after putting all that time in to making the map, I should be first to choose :P wait, randomness might just be best after all...

Comment

Working...
                                X