Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count me in

Comment

Has this ground to a halt with Map arguments?

If this is so then can we not just trust to blind luck and go for a toroidal random continents map with no goodie huts.

I would prefer no random events, as I think them unfair in MP, but will go with the flow.
      “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
      - Anon

Comment

Also interested. I figure I'll die quickly, but I could use the practice for sure (weak T4 players )

Agree that real-world maps are 10x better than random, or at least human-crafted maps. With real-world maps, you could find a place where a significant geographic feature could divide the map into a more arid half for good players and a wetter, greener, coastal area for the poorer players. That would even things out. As a T4 player in DoE, I agree that the skill disparity is large. That said, Europe did get a boatload of resources, while many T3/4 players got plains jungles, tundra, deserts, and barely any resources. It's a lot easier to pack 6 cities into a small area when you have almost 1 resource per tile than when you have few food resources and a lot of aridity... Environmental determinism!

Anyway, we could pick a mountain range and use that to severely divide the map, so that "T1" players wouldn't really affect the "T2" players until late in the game. Something like splitting T1 and T2 between the Rockies and having T2 get the nice coast and T1 get the badlands and deserts; or splitting them with the Andes, with T1 on the coasts and T2 stuck in jungle-covered plains; or the himalayas, with T2 in the wet plains of India with T1 up in Tibet; or use the Hindu Kush, T2 gets the Indus River valley, T1 gets Afghanistan; or T1 gets a jungle-covered tropical area with T2 in a forest-covered subtropical region (can make a huge difference: lots of extra hammers for less effort for T2, extra health, easy growth), like T2 in southern China and T1 in SE Asia.

That's just a few ideas. I could throw together a simple map to give an idea, although I figure Ozzy will want to make his own for the game

Comment

Is this still up?

Comment

Yes!
            Soon I have much more time! (unemployed )

@DNK: we're not going to do tiers for this game, just random everything, so there's no tier-advantage for a real map!
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Yes!
              That's good.
              http://datingsidorsingel.com/

Comment

Interested

I am definately interested, would be my first time participating in a Pitboss game, however I read quite a few lurker threads and understand how it works.

Let me know if you are still accepting people.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                  Yes!
                  Soon I have much more time! (unemployed )

@DNK: we're not going to do tiers for this game, just random everything, so there's no tier-advantage for a real map!
                  Well everyone wants to do a real world map it seems. So that, at least, won't be random.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I dont. Any huge pangaea will do.

Comment

Ok, most then.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Where are we doing this then? If we wait too long, I won't be able to join possibly.

Japan, with tons of impassible/unworkable mountain terrain and lots of thin, lush coastal plains would be nice. Would reduce borders and increase choke points, which would give weaker players more of a chance. It also has a large range of climates, which is always nice. Lots of hills and high food plains close together.

Also can put weaker players on outlying islands. I know we aren't "tiering" it, but maybe players could choose to be on a "peace island" (until astronomy) if they wanted an easier time? Like, islands would have special rules (that could be changed by an island vote)...

Comment

I am also willing to join. Am an experienced PBEM player (not only Civ though).
                          Am committed to long games, mostly high on diplo and in-charcter communication...

(am also on civfanatics)

Comment

Can anyone update the players list and suggest two or three options for a map?

Lets get this started

PMB

Comment

I propose huge Pangaea with standart ressources. What fun it is all the civs have all the ressources from the beggining?

Comment

Several games started on standard maps have failed when people drop out due to uneven resources or other bad start luck.

ozzy-tweaked is the way to go - none of his maps have failed.
                                "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                                X