No announcement yet.

Destruction of Foes (DoF) - Diplogame Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope it crashes again and we restart . Moved my settlers hoping that the Red Sea would be an actual sea (it is not) and my settlers now in a bad place, need to go back and probably lose two turns.. bad luck.
    Btw, why does Egypt have so many lakes? quite strange.

Comment

• All major rivers on this map are navigable. So they will all be lakes. But they are set up to have rivers on their banks, so they still count as rivers in the game.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• The moment I touch the "Bulgaria" radio button in the initial splash where I must choose which civ I will play, my game crashes no matter did I load the mod before this or not.

Can someone check this for me please?

Comment

• Just noticed the same goes for Hungary - if I even touch their button, the game crashes. I noticed something else too - the hover ballon hint says "no special building, no starting technologies, no unique unit" for Bulgaria and Hungary.

Comment

• Does it do this if you open a game in single player? Did you install the mod correctly?

Comment

• Yes, it was problem with the mod. I made it to the game and played.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egypt (DoF) View Post
                I hope it crashes again and we restart . Moved my settlers hoping that the Red Sea would be an actual sea (it is not) and my settlers now in a bad place, need to go back and probably lose two turns.. bad luck.
                Btw, why does Egypt have so many lakes? quite strange.
                Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                All major rivers on this map are navigable. So they will all be lakes. But they are set up to have rivers on their banks, so they still count as rivers in the game.
                This. It would do well to review this thread for an understanding of the map, as it's a little unorthodox.

Major rivers (the Danube, Nile, Tigris, Euphrates, etc) are made of 1-tile wide lakes. This was for a couple reasons:
                1. Allows ships to be built far inland and put into sea, and visa-versa.
                2. Allows for strong natural borders as the "rivers" usually only have a few crossing point (so you need to actually build a fleet to cross otherwise).

Most rivers should be placed so as to offer civs easily defensible core areas or strong natural borders at their extremes. Some aren't so, and end up just allowing cities far inland to have somewhat direct access to the sea. Egypt and the Nile are one example of the latter.

I think it's good that we get a restart now, in case players like Egypt weren't previously aware of this.

So, there are a lot of these rivers out there, and also most mountain ranges are mostly impassible, so there is a lot more strategic geography than in a typical random map. You will find that "crossing points" on rivers tend to have strong defensive bonuses, with at least a 25% for river crossing, if not another 25% for being on a hill (so, build a city there not a fort!).

Comment

• I've moved my settler in a hope that the Red Sea would be a sea so in my capital I would be able to build harbor and lighthouse. turned out it's just a lake and there was only desert in that direction so I will have to turn back and build in the original location. I'd welcome a reload to my last save if no objection, but i could live without it.

"1. Allows ships to be built far inland and put into sea, and visa-versa."

What else should we know about the mod? I'd like to see a full changes list before other surprises. (I have noticed that no penalty for river crossing for example), but building ships in land? That also should be a modded feature. Can inland cities now produce ships/harbor etc?

Comment

• I've just checked: inland cities still can not build ships, I think you can make a mod like this easily and it would be very fun feature: cities without being coastal should be able to build ships and maybe even harbor, lighthouse etc.
                    I say if it can be done let's do it

Comment

• What do others think?
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• I did some research how to mod this:
                        Every ship unit's xml info should be edited at this part:
                        (iMinAreaSize)20(/iMinAreaSize)
                        (change the () to <> )

20=>-1 every city can build it
                        20=>1 cities adjacent to 1 tile lakes can build it etc.

I guess buildings have similar values in case we want to allow inland cities to build harbor and/or lighthouse.

Comment

• Or we could just skip that part of the reasoning as it wasn't really central (borders and letting ships go inland for upriver naval invasions were the big two).

I'm fine with it, of course, but I'm just guessing most people want to get underway and stop giving people free scouting on the first turn.

A reasonable adjustment, though.
                          Last edited by Inca (DoE); June 23, 2011, 03:02. Reason: I know I'm contradicting myself, but now I remember it correctly.

Comment

• I think this two things should work together:
                            If you made the rivers huge inland lakes then cities built next to them should be able to build ships. What if a civ cannot get a coastal city at all? it is unreasonably vulnerable to ships then.

Comment

• I think that any civ that is next to 'lake-rivers' should be able to build ships.
                              (especially b/c of Egypt's post above this one)

The lighthouse and harbors are less important imho.
                              Lakes already provide 2 food. Lake-rivers already give many advantages to a city. A harbor isn't needed, the cities will be strong anyway.

So I suggest to just mod the game in such a way that lake-cities can build ships.
                              All agree?
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Yea

Comment

Working...
                                X