No announcement yet.

Destruction of Foes (DoF) - Diplogame Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take your time to gather up your spirit again. We can use even some pause if you need it.

Yes, it was pretty strong punch. Egypt have the best statistics and I think will do report some technical stuff later, but just for the record - we are preparing all this from April 4-th. Huge effort and planning it took. Only PMs are like 100 in each direction, not counting in-game chat each turn.

We needed this hit to even the potential.

Comment

• I will write some details about this operation tomorrow. we have been preparing for this for quite long time, arguing, rethinking over and over while trying to guess how much you are expecting
      thanks for taking it well, it is truly devastating attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carthage (DoF) View Post
        @ Rome: there is nothing to be complained about. Our opponents are very chivalrous and sportsmanlike.
        Yeah, I was there and I can put my word on it - no shenanigans of any sort were conducted during those resets of the server. We had appointed meeting in 9000-1000 CET today and we knew the operation will be successful - Egypt loged in yesterday to see what is the last turn situation. I came first and was managing my stuff in my cities for some 5-10 minutes, but I saw the server is responding slow, then Egypt came and said Hungary is coming in 5 minutes too. We chatted some stuff and then the server said something like: "Sorry guys, the server is laggy, will need to reboot. Up again in 2 minutes." We logged off, then it took some more - maybe 10-15 minutes the server to be available, we joined and we started chatting/launching the attacks. When all was done, we had even a misclick from Egypt - he misclicked one of the commandos, but we live with that. Then I went to take my kids in the park - it is spring here

Comment

• I never said that there was fraud, I thought what I've said above. I am really glad that I am in your company found in other pitbos because there was always someone on the "Crying Game" which is breaking the game.

Comment

• Quote from Rome:

Rome: (...) I do not doubt the honesty of our opponents (...)

Like I said, Rome had the right to ask for clarifications b/c it was weird that it happened exactly during this turn.
            When the server crashed twice, I knew that it would raise questions, that's why I immediately posted about it both times.
            I'm happy that Rome raised it in such a civilized way.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Those commando units are a beautifull sight to see.. striking ten tiles deep over my own railroads..

One thing I still can't figure out how you got those transports to enough exp to give them a +2 range..
              I had calculated with a +1 range extension.. (as then all of this couldn't have happened)
              Trade is the name of the game..

Comment

• Wow, remind me never to pick a fight with Egypt/Bulgaria/Hungary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carthage (DoF) View Post
                  Well I knew my tiny coastal city could fall.. I did calculate a single operational range increase for the transports..

Then you sail into the damn city (and not stop one tile before it) and all those armors are pooring out into my hinterland..

Well played.
                  It looks pretty devastating, to be honest I couldn't bear it to look at it for more then a few minutes..
                  Thanks for the sportmanship!
                  This game is "Destruction of Foes", we had no choice but hitting you as hard as possible.
                  Bulgaria came up with this great idea! When Egypt later on wanted to actually do it, the planning started.
                  Fortunately I was able to do a small (but not unimportant) part as well, so it's really been a team effort, though by far the most credits go to Egypt and Bulgaria.

We had 3 huge moments o "what to do"
                  And we debated it in-game and in PM into great depts, which was time consuming and fun.
                  I'll leave it to Egypt to spill the beans.

I'm of course curious to know if you know what happened and how we did it...
                  I don't think the game is over yet, perhaps we're now two equal parties if it's about production capacity and commercial income.

But I know how it hurts when suddenly half your empire is razed. Fortunately for me the worst side was razed though

Comment

• Those commando units are a beautifull sight to see.. striking ten tiles deep over my own railroads..
                    Yeah, quite powerful tool they are. I learned their power in The League and had used them with great success till now on number of occasions. Glad you can see the beauty in this otherwise quite grim for you situation. A player's decency is equally best shown when winning (Egypt) and when losing (Carthage).

One thing I still can't figure out how you got those transports to enough exp to give them a +2 range..
                    I had calculated with a +1 range extension.. (as then all of this couldn't have happened)
                    I am not quite sure myself, but I guess those were made in the main military city of Egypt - 3 or 4 settled GGs + docks. Cant remember if Egypt had the Pentagon. If yes, even in a normal city they can be made - 2XP for pentagon, 4 for docks, 4 for Theo+Vassalage - thats 10XP = +2moves transports. Spiritual + Christo is very powerful in the hands of capable player.

Wow, remind me never to pick a fight with Egypt/Bulgaria/Hungary.
                    LOL I think you should knew this from your own experience till now. [/joking]
                    Too bad we use anonymous accounts each time so you cant often tell who is who. It is true however that this game was quite violent and the outcome of battles was quite game-flow forming. Thus experience and skills in war had great impact on the game.

Thanks for the sportmanship!
                    Yeah, great sport just as expected btw.

This game is "Destruction of Foes", we had no choice but hitting you as hard as possible.
                    I told this to my allies, but I was all the time afraid Egypt will decide to be overly gallant knight once again and spare your cities in the last moment. Which from strategic perspective would have been a mistake.

Bulgaria came up with this great idea! When Egypt later on wanted to actually do it, the planning started.
                    Fortunately I was able to do a small (but not unimportant) part as well, so it's really been a team effort, though by far the most credits go to Egypt and Bulgaria.
                    Yes, all begun with the fact that Carthage broke his NAP with Egypt after the massacre at Pecs. I know it was absolutely necessary think to do to rally his allies, otherwise they would have just fell apart - Egypt attacking Rome from Southern Italy, our victorious armies at the Northern border of Rome + the moral hit of losing such a big army.

Here is where all this begun:

Originally posted by Bulgaria (DoF)
                    At last Carthage did the last betrayal and declared war at Egypt. They claim to have captured 4 Egyptian cities - those are the two Roman and those 2 on the African frontline.

Beside lost units (I have warned you Egypt about both things - your loss in Italy and Carthage breaking his word) this actually is good news - at last Egypt will be free to plan and attack Carthage at all fronts and still we have kept our word, while Carthage and his minions showed filthy and low once again.

More and more I think of it, I think that razing Carthage City will be nice lesson to those God-damned treaty breakers and a good punishment from the Gods of Civ themselves for swearing in them in vain.

Egypt, are you up to it?

Carthago delenda est!
                    Everyone had his role in this. Thanks to Hungary finding we were able to get 9 Commandos instead of just 3-4 we could have otherwise and we never knew what opposition we will have to defy in Africa to get to Carthage City. Egypt's determination and production capabilities, combined with sober thinking and tactical knowledge made all this possible.

I don't think the game is over yet, perhaps we're now two equal parties if it's about production capacity and commercial income.
                    Yes, till now if we was left the things to stay at a war of attrition stage, we would have lost inevitable at some point - your production and GNP we could not had matched till now. Things was going to get worst and worst now when you got at tech parity at last and we could not count on serious advantage in raw unit strength as we did till now.

But I know how it hurts when suddenly half your empire is razed. Fortunately for me the worst side was razed though
                    Yeah, there is an Universal Justice at least in the game, if not much in the real life...
                    Last edited by Bulgaria (DoF); April 23, 2012, 03:21.

Comment

• Yes I know how you did it..

The transports got a +2 range promotion, then conquered my tiny coastal city..
                      sailed all those troops into the harbour and then those 8 to 10 commandos raced over my own roads..
                      and razed what they conquered..

(the only part I couldn't figure our is how you got those transport to a +2, a
                      +1 was calculated > in fact I would have liked you to do a landing, which I could destroy)

Of course, and I kinda deserved that didn't I

Comment

• +2 range promotion
                        Ah yes, Theo + Vassalage this I forgot..

Comment

• Thumbs up for this great move guys. I guess the long hours invested in your turns and much planning pays off.

Comment

• So yes, the actual planning has started when you broke the NAP and killed my units in rome. Bulgaria has suggested using commandos before, but i did not think it was agoo idea then to try it with equal strength fleets and personally not fond of city razing anyway. But when my invasion has failed I had to realize that even after our victory near debrecen we are not strong enough to launch a normal invasion. i also noticed that my fleet is getting stronger than Carthage's(unless they are preparing a hidden fleet somewhere) and the power of the missiles-they could make an amphibious attack possible even with few attackers.
                            So from then we started to plan the attack and I started to put my cities to maximum focus for the task. I built nothing but what would be needed for the operation.
                            Yes, with theo, vassal and pentagon my normal cites could build +2 moves ships and I had built many, new transports and battleships.
                            we had some debates how to do it, first it was that we attack wih 2-3 tranports supported by missiles and my entire fleet. Later we decided to get tricky and play safe with our ships. We wanted you to believe that our fleet is operating in the north, but actually when I spread my fleet my fastest units were ready to go south and play part in the attack, defending my tansports.
                            Besides the units we put many things in place: hiding our research till the last moment, sending 8-9 spies (tough they did not play big role in the end), some workers secretly building a fort while other building farm on the same tile etc.
                            In the beginning we calculated with 4-6 commandos by using our great generals. Later we realised that Bulgaria's units needs less xp (as they are aggressive) and if upgraded by hungary (charismatc) even less. so we manged to gather 9 commandos in he end in five fast transports.
                            Then everything was ready for the attack-except we realized you put some ships in that fort. After a big debate we decided to delay the attack wth one turn. While it was very likely we would succeed we did not want to risk it- we had an other risk this way, if you moved your fleet souther we woul had to abandon this plan.
                            So next turn. even more of my ships were ready to join the attack, a 6th transport, and i had ships prepared just against that fort in case you put some more ships inside. (my stealth destroyers were gathering next to the fort too)
                            The biggest debate was in this turn if we want to take Leptis- only 4 defenders, and 7-8 other units+ it's a quite valuable city itself. Hungary wanted to take it, Bulgaria was torn-the risk we expose ourselves and the price of the city), i wanted to save everything to maximize our chances. We wanted you to believe that our target was Leptis-and seems we had succed in that. But I can tell, that our operation was very hard to stop.
                            If you had moved your ships souther we would had altered our plan and tried with a direkt attack, and less than 20 defenders in Carmino wouldn't had saved the city.
                            so we had 9 commandos, thanks to a stupid game mechaincs I lost one's movements (when unloaded a gunship from my transport it switched back automaticly to the commando and pillaged with it instead with the gunship..) but among those 8 commandos 2 were modern armors so they could use their blitz promotion to take 2-2 cities.

This was the biggest and most fun operation I'm participated in in my diplogames-and even if i feel a bit sorry for Carthage it would had been a sin not to do it
                            Thanks for the great sportmanship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Portugal (DoF) View Post
                              Thumbs up for this great move guys. I guess the long hours invested in your turns and much planning pays off.
                              Yes, planning/discussing was the even funniest part. When it came to execute CDE, it was more like butchery. There was only 1 thing you could have done to stop us and we knew CDE will succeed from the turn before it was actually executed.

Comment

• If you had moved your ships souther we would had altered our plan and tried with a direkt attack, and less than 20 defenders in Carmino wouldn't had saved the city.
                                I knew that, so I chose only to protect Leptis Magna and to counterattack on Carmino. Until those +2 transports bit me in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X