New type of diplo game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No rules for any argument! It might be a bit difficult
    Ha! according to some i have been known to wait up all night to pull off a double move!

Comment

Hey Pin, we've got an opening in the New Horizons diplogame.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Pleasse consider me deity, just do not reduce the timer to too short of a time, otherwise I miss too many turns

Comment

Excellent Trev!

This game is going to be a beauty.

* Toni
          * Cybershy/RP
          * Hercules
          * St Jon
          * BranksDilly
          * Trev
          * deity

Pincak?
          Korea DoC?
          ozzy?

I'd suggest not quicker than 12 hour timer but maybe up to 24 hour. Let's see what everyone says.

Of course I'm hoping Cyber (I always call him that - old man's privilege) will be able to host it.
          "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Count me in.

I take it random civ choices?

18 hour timer might work well.

Comment

I reckon Pinchak is right. I've found the quicker 12hr clock of DoC a bit of a struggle whilst 18/19hrs is effectively 24hrs real time. We are spread across 3 continents and most of us work full time so it means nobody is going to end up having to play at midnight to avoid missing their turn. Also, with that kind of time you can eliminate the pauses and just let the game flow with a 'use it or lose it' attitude other than for exceptional circumstances. I do reckon we should have the ultra quickie 8hr turns at the very start though as nobody has much to do with just a single unit wandering around.

What are we going to do with Tech Trades? Free or banned as I cannot see a Voucher system working in this kind of game. I would vote for free trade as I reckon the politics of the game will find its' own level and people would not just 'give away' everything they have - 'Tech Buddy' does become uber-powerful of course which could be a downer. It is also a very useful addition in buying peace with an aggressive neighbour. Best of all it requires no monitoring and removes another cause of arguments as to the legality of tech advancement.

I really like this idea of keeping rules to a minimum, getting rid of the need for independent 'arbiters' to settle disputes and really only leaves out and out cheating to watch out for and with the group we have I cannot see any danger of that anyway.
              “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
              - Anon

Comment

On a different part of the game - can we ban Space Race as a victory? It will always be the easiest path on a Huge map with good opponents.
                “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak View Post
                  Count me in.

I take it random civ choices?

18 hour timer might work well.
                  Excellent

18 hour timer does sound sensible.

Personally I prefer no tech trading but it reduces the diplo side. No tech brokering I guess.

Let's see what the Cyber Oracle has to say; and also in regard to civ choices. I was hoping that a pitboss could be set up where we go to a staging screen and select our preferred civ - even if it's just like starting a normal game which is then saved for pitboss once all the civ choices are made. But I'd also be happy with random though I know for a lot of players choosing their civ is part of the overall enjoyment.
                  *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

so far:

* Toni
                    * Cybershy/RP
                    * Hercules
                    * St Jon
                    * BranksDilly
                    * Trev
                    * deity
                    * Pincak
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

- No tech trading sounds different and makes good for little rules.
                      - 18 hours is a lot but I can see that for some 12 is too little.
                      - I personally prefer to choise a civ but if majority wants random then that's ok with me.

not sure if there's the possibility for a civ-pick screen as in a normal game. I can test that.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

OK, thx Cyber.

Should we make the New Horizons game the next full posting diplo game OR are you starting a new normal diplo once DoC is finished?

We definitely need the simple game we proposed in this thread as a CONCURRENT game (need a name for it) but I'm not sure that the pool of players we have could handle three games (depending on the player overlaps of course).

The other consideration is Cyber's excellent hosting.

I tried setting up a pitboss server but my old PC's are not up to it (overheating/restarting every now and then etc). And I can understand the frustrations ozzy is having.

Maybe those that can afford it can pay a sub to Cyber/Apolyton to cover costs of setting up well run pitboss servers?

Pool of players = 20+

Those in full time employ or reasonably well off = say 50%

So 10 players x ($3 for example) x 12 months = $360 pa.

It could become an advertised thing by Apolyton to generate an active game server site (increase traffic) and give it a solid promotion for Civ 5 when we line up the first big Civ 5 diplo!

Just idle thinking....
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Settings

Straw poll on settings:

No Space Victory?

No tech trading? OR no tech brokering?

Huge Earth?

18 hour timer after 2000 BC? (10 hour timer till then)

Epic speed.

I'm certain most will want to pick their civs.

No elimination until after 1000AD say

Use the spirit of DoC rules and diplo faq but NO enforcement (Player judgements only)
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

@deity: It's not problem to host another pitboss game. I have 2 servers running now so one's vacant. No need for money, thanks anyway!

I intend to start a new full-scale diplogame after DoC.
                            This one can be concurrent to me. It's up to others of course in how many games they want to be. But I can't be in 2 games that expect me to post.

No Space Victory?
                            ok, let's try: Yes to no space victory

let's try: yes to no tech brokering

Huge Earth?
                            depends on number of players

18 hour after 0, 10 hour till 0

Epic speed.
                            Yes

Let's pick civs, then we can exclude some overpowered ones.

Yes

Comment

fyi:

It's either random civs or define the civs in advance.
                              There's no civ-pick screen in a pitboss game, I select the civs in the setup screen of the pitboss server.

Comment

No Space Victory?
                                Yes

No. Yes.

Huge Earth?
                                Yes.

Yes.

Epic speed.
                                Yes.

No. (I love random but don't mind if we pick either)

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X