Need Help with Civ Burn Out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Civ Burn Out.

Hi folks. I have been away from both Poly and civ for a number of months. My humble apologies to those involved in games which have been held up. I am playing them this evening or tomorrow.

But I need some advice on how others deal civ burn-out? I know others have experienced it. Is it inevitable? Should I try to manage it to a brown-out as opposed to a total black-out?

Some RL events, including the passing of my father in April may have been the trigger. Spring is also busy around here, and the off-leash dog park that I am the president of is undergoing a large expansion. But I still could have made time for civ. I think I just got burned out. And so, back to my request for how others deal with it.

(I posted here in the multi-player forum, as that is what I play mostly. And besides, if you get burned out playing SP civ. no one - other than your wife and dog - notices. )

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

I think keeping it to a brown-out is a good way of thinking of it. My interest dips some times as well. I totally understand things getting busy too. But, especially with stuff like pitboss, it doesn't take too much time to sign in and play a turn. Even if you cut out the more involved diplomacy, story telling, etc, just taking 5 minutes to play a turn when you aren't really feeling all that into it.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Trust me, Beta is talking about the various PBEM games we are in as well.

Beta my freind, if you feel that after just a few turns of playing, you want to ignore the saves being sent your way....why even get all excited about joining in the first place?!?

This might sound rather harsh to outside viewers....but you have to admit Beta - this is not the first time you've done this. About two years ago, you did the same thing and ruined all of my PBEM games (since we were in the same games at the time) - and I was rather PISSED....but, I know that things occur in players lives so I decided later on to join other games that you were playing in. Please don't tell me that my trust was misplaced.

The bottom line: You agreed to join a game - you play it to the END. Getting "bored" or "Burnt out" with it is NOT an option and for me, quite frankly, it is in rathr poor taste since you are affecting others by your own personal decision.

If you want out after a few turns, find a replacement, or hell - just RETIRE and become a bot. At least you won't hold up the game for the rest of us who REALLY ENJOY and want to play this game.

I do apolgize for my frankness, but after seeing this thread - I had to respond honestly.

Comment

find a replacement
        QFT
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This is supposed to be fun. If it is no longer fun then stop playing until you get the urge to play again - I did for many years - but let the people you are playing with know. Just be polite and nothing more.
          “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
          - Anon

Comment

Anyone else have any thoughts?
            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Yes. Come back to BTP ASAP.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Your people crave your gentle hand upon the whip to encourage their toil!
                - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by St Jon View Post
                  Your people crave your gentle hand upon the whip to encourage their toil!
                  I love it when you talk dirty!!

Comment

You ain't been around for so long that you haven't had the chance to experience real Russian invective.
                    - Anon

Comment

Do we drink vodka while we bicker?

Comment

Downtime is key... even from hobbies. So is changing things up a bit, getting out of a routine to lessen the likelihood of predictability. For a game of CivIV then, change map size/type. Difficulty level. Number of AI. Victory condition(s). Game settings (e.g. disabling Vassal states). Some new/different players perhaps even!

Too much of anything isn't a good thing, even Civ. There, I said it.

Hmmm. I think I'll go now...
                        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ View Post
                          Too much of anything isn't a good thing, even Civ. There, I said it.

Thanks for the input Dan.

And thanks for your suggestion Ozzy - and the bit of tough love, Witt.

I just know I am not alone in this - I truly do think it is worth a discussion.

Comment

No problem Beta my friend. Sorry again for the rant though.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I've had my civ-breaks in the past. Then I didn't play for a year or something. (I think it happened twice) (not since civ4 was released though).

I'd say that you should finish ongoing MP games though. That's fair to the other players. Not to mention that you don't want to be hated when you return And you will return! We all do
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X