No announcement yet.

Beyond the Pit [Pitboss Diplomacy Game] [Organization Thread VI]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys - I think we have to admit that the game is dead. Hardly anyone is playing any more. I can't be bothered just going through teh motions, and if I can't and I have a space ship in flight, I can only guess what its like for the rest of you. A sad end, but and end I think it is.

Comment

• Motion seconded.

Close to half the players now are subs and 2 of the most important civ's are so recent as to have no real involvement in the game. Only other major power has effectively opted out and no.5 is irrelevant now. It's just like the end of an SP game that you never bother to finish.

Well done Rome - you deserve it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Rome View Post
        Sadly its happened again. Space ship launches and the game goes down.

The save you loaded up Robert was before my turn, so I started to play my turn again, laucnhed, and it all froze up again. Obviously I can't tell from here if it means the server has crashed, but it looked the same as earlier, so I guess it has.

God is obviously having a quiet rest up in the heavens and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Any suggestions?

I can't play now until about this time tomorrow, so if you do get it up again, any chance of ensuring this turn doesn't expire before then?
        Was there a story post about the SS launch? Can someone link it?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Originally posted by Toni View Post
          Jon:

You make a good point.

Still i disagree with the below.

Keep in mind that Portugal wasn't too far below Rome's production, I gave up on concentrating to continue boosting it 90% of my cities did not have nuc or hydro plants. Something which you forgot or failed to mention is that Portugal maybe had around 7-8 cities out producing or at worse equal to Rome's capital. With the Kremlin i could have out produced militarily everyone if i wanted. Actually my military showed it - never fully turned to fully building armies it was still on the top for the best part of the end game.

Again you are right that at the end rome had more hammers than Portugal - but when you have 60+ cities against my 20 and we are still close with the hammer output. Oh my can you imagine the cities i had and their capabilities. Still that doesn't count for the end results. Just wanted say that you were incorrect to say what you did. At the time you joined Rome was was behind in production - so what you saw wasn't possible to be seen.
          My 2 cents!
          so why didnt you crush him !!! you should have invaded and taken his cities..
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• @ Rasputin

Well here is your answer Raz, i did not attack Rome due to the following things:

* They had a solid and a mutual beneficial relation with Portugal
            * They were fair and helpful when Portugal came to ask for things: (Great General, armies, trade, cash etc)
            * Portugal needed Rome to defend its southern border
            * Rome was trust worthy
            * Portugal wanted to concentrate on Khmer - an enemy from very early stage on.

So as you can see Raz these were the reasons that never prompted me to act against Rome.

Comment

• By the way:

Rome CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU deserve it the most!!

Comment

• ROBERT/CS

Great job on getting that army from Hell to attack Old Portugal!!! Not sure if the current player still has the army i left in eastern old portugal. But if he does he has a good chance of defending well. I just hope he puts up a decent fight!

Of course the army if i remember wasn't as large as the one you have brought but there were like 30 bombers/jet figthers. Thus i think that would be a great battle.

Anyway have fun and mercy

Comment

• I have to second this.

Originally posted by Toni View Post
                  @ Rasputin

Well here is your answer Raz, i did not attack Rome due to the following things:

* They had a solid and a mutual beneficial relation with Portugal
                  * They were fair and helpful when Portugal came to ask for things: (Great General, armies, trade, cash etc)
                  * Portugal needed Rome to defend its southern border
                  * Rome was trust worthy
                  * Portugal wanted to concentrate on Khmer - an enemy from very early stage on.

So as you can see Raz these were the reasons that never prompted me to act against Rome.

The relationship between Rome and Portugal was throughout based solely on self interest - we certainly didn't know each other beforehand. But the self-interest was very strong for us both.

In the early days after I took over, Rome was pitifully weak, Hericlitus having done a brilliant job of grabbing territory, I just needed to hold on to it and develop it before anyone realised how over-stretched we were. Thus peace with my powerful northern neighbour was very much in my interest. And for Portugal - well - if I was friendly to them, they could expand into new portugal using their caracks at a time nobody else could reach there since a. I protected their border and b. the best access to NP was across my land.

As time went on, well I had the advantage that Portugal was split across me, which I felt made it unlikely Portugal would ever want to go to war with me, since they would be split in two (the same logic is why I facilitated Russian capture of east Piercia, with Russia split across me, I couldn't see them attacking me). And Meduia looked more and more dangerous, so I was very happy for NP to be my defence against Meduia - there was no way they could interfer with me, with NP in the way. So very much in Rome's interest to keep on good relationships with Portugal. We didn't have a close relationship - we often did tech trades elsewhere, didn't do unit swaps and upgrades or anything like that. I certainly contemplated attacking Portugal (and I am sure he did back) - lots of folks encouraged me to, but each time when looked at it was manifestly not in Rome's interest. Particularly because those encouraging me to attack Portugal claiming that htey would be my allies in doing it, were a long way away and clearly just wanted Portgual and Rome to fight it out while they sailed past. But Rome wasn't interested in being someones else's hired thug.

In the end in my opinion all civ strategy is a matter of geography, and the geography of this game - NP, the two continents etc. - strongly shaped the diplomatic possibilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss America View Post
                    I want to say a big thank you to Celts for our mutual respect. You really should have wiped me out and been in a better position but didn't.
                    I had no reason to wipe you out. In the beginning it was about making friends. You could have stabbed me in the back many times as I was ill prepared for a fight. I thank you for hanging in there and maintaining a gamelong alliance.

Comment

• Rome,

Well played and congrats on your victory!

Comment

• +1

Congratulations, he did with Rome what I never could... I bow to your skill. You have made a great contribution to the community with your participation.

Its good to see the best man win.

Edit: In pure ingame skill I think the best player is probably Toni. I am always amazed by how rapidly he develops an economy. (same is true to varying extent of other players, Diety ect.)

Also several players where brilliant with story. Greece, the Maya,... all did wonderfull. I have been thourgly entertained simply by folowing this game from afar.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Almost everybody wants to end this game.
                          I wish that we could finish the last 12 turns, but I understand that it's over now.
                          So let's call it a day and officially announce Rome as the gamescore-winner.

We need to cast a last round of votes to determine the overal diplo-score winner.
                          Please cast your votes before July 27th

Nations Spain and Maya may be best send their votes as Spain/Maya and not as Khmer/Portugal. They can that way receive votes as well for Spain/Maya

I'm going to keep the game up till the end, just b/c I want to end it officially, and because I like it to play out my own little war with Portugal which was just launched.

This obviously won't count for the score or the game anymore. I'll make a screenshot of the gamescore at the start of the next turn. That'll be the official end-score.

Everybody is free to continue to play his civ till the game-end (when Rome's space ship arrives).
                          I'd really like it if someone would be willing to play Portugal to see how this war would really end. Toni (you're back tomorrow?)? Kees?

I'll myself also continue to reveal the end-game plots in the story thread.
                          Ignore those for the vote-score. I just like it to bring the end to the past 40 turns of major plotting

To all civs who were bored: keep yourself busy! Only pressing enter sucks, make plans to invade nations, make deals with other nations! Civ is not supposed to be boring
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Congratulations to Rome for your in-game win!
                            And most probably also for your diplo-score win! It was a nice challenge against you! Too bad I lost but I'm proud to be #2
                            Good job how you were able to be both #1 in diplomacy and #1 in war!! Diplomatic warmonger

Too bad that we couldn't finsh this game till the real end
                            I had this huge end-game in mind to make a last attempt to approach you for the diplo-score win
                            This game is not only about the in-game score win, but now we end the game b/c Rome's SS win is inevitable, I think we forget that those next 11 turns could make a difference for the diplo-score.

Now everybody departed that's not going to happen anyway, so that's ok, but for next game please keep that in mind! It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
                            We played for 14 months, why do we not just finish those last 9 days?

Comment

• To Heraclitus

Thank you for the compliment!!

Edit: In pure ingame skill I think the best player is probably Toni. I am always amazed by how rapidly he develops an economy. (same is true to varying extent of other players, Diety ect.)
                              Still this is not enough for our games (Stories, role playing and military) I just don't have the great imagination that Yourself, CS, Ozzy, Priest, Raz, Capo, New Maya, New Spain and even Pinchak to create entertaining stories.

Comment

• I'd really like it if someone would be willing to play Portugal to see how this war would really end. Toni (you're back tomorrow?)
                                CS i will be back on the 23th (100%) - sorry.

P.S I am just amazed why the current portugal's player wasn't able to detect your coming army, when Portugal has a clear view in the lands of the Vikings and Natives civilizations. Oh well - well deserved CS!!!
                                Last edited by Toni; July 21, 2009, 03:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X