X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal - Round-Robin Diplogame

The Basics:
    8-14 players (leaves room for colonies)
    Huge map (plenty of room to explore - and crucially separate the civs)
    Quick or Normal game speed (this is a quick fire game - no lasting two years or more)
    12 Hour turn timer (2 turns a day - possibly 3 turns if necessary)
    NO Tech trading rules (pointless and restrictive in the round-robin format)
    Pitboss (of course - prevents connections scuffles)

What separates this game from any other is the concept of 'round-robin' playing. Each week (14 turns), a third party (not playing) runs a RNG and assigns each player to a civ. The only rule at this stage is that each player is not allowed the same civ they had the previous week (so no fortnight runs).

Each player then posts in the diplo format once per week (no more, no less), basically summarising their term of office. Since the players are constantly swapping civs, the in-game scores would effectively count for nothing, thus making votes all that more important. Votes would ideally be weekly, thus allowing people to only have to vote for one post per person each time... no confusion. Also, the votes could be open polls allowing anyone to vote on the strength of the story posts. Put simply, no story that week... no place in the poll.

The Golden Rule to remember would be that you could be playing as any civ in any round, so crippling a civ could cripple your chances later in the game.

Whilst any part of the game idea could be up for discussion, the main topics are:
    • Name
    • Who's playing
    • Map type
    • How often the vote takes place
    • Who can vote

Any questions?
    Last edited by MMC; November 11, 2008, 02:27.
    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
    "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Great idea, I had often thought it'd be cool to "platoon" a civ to simulate different administrations coming into power with different agendas and such. This is a good way of formalizing such a notion but also an interesting and fresh mechanic for diplogames.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

* Reserved for list of interested players *
      • MMC
      • Ozzy
      • Capo
      • Heraclitus
      • LzPrst
      • Wittlich
      • An unco-operative Deity
      • Beta
      Last edited by MMC; November 18, 2008, 11:07.
      Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009

Comment

Hehe, I didn't volunteer to play. I need a break from civ (but find myself in two games, ack!). I just like the idea.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I never said you were going to play... I simply said you were interested

Comment

I would be interested in playing this game, but I think the mechanics behind it would have to be refined/fine-tuned to make sure it works properly.

Also I'd like to use my mod for this as well, so we don't have too many games going at once.
            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

I notice we haven't been getting many volunteers so far. I think this is due to the fact that there are two diplogames going-on ATM. I think the most diplogames I've seen at one time were three, and I think 2/3 of them collapsed (although it was probably all three of them). So I think people are iffy about starting a new game up. Especially considering one of the games has 18 players.

But, I am personally excited for this, and I think as long as we figure out exactly how it is going to be run it should be an interesting game. I'd plan to start it after HOTW XII ends though.
              "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

What if you make the game an archipelago game and start off with just a few civs which then create colonies to accomodate new players? This means you can start earlier, but you would need to watch the tech level, perhaps start in the classical era with 5 civs and epic speed.

just a thought

Agree that if people will swap civs tech rules become pointless. I also suggest you make the "term in office" about one month to reduce on paperwork. Make a new story thread each month where people post with annon accounts, not because of anonimity (since the first post in each such thread would detail who has which civ) but just to save the players the headache of who made which posts for which civ.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                  Agree that if people will swap civs tech rules become pointless. I also suggest you make the "term in office" about one month to reduce on paperwork. Make a new story thread each month where people post with annon accounts, not because of anonimity (since the first post in each such thread would detail who has which civ) but just to save the players the headache of who made which posts for which civ.
                  I agree with much of this, the "paperwork" aspect is the one issue that needs to be settled the most. I think the maps and the amount of civs (and so on) is going to be relatively easy to determine. But deciding when things happen, who makes what decisions and how these decisions are made are going to be the biggest issues with this type of game.

And while I don't like anonymous play (well its not that I don't like it, its just that I think its frivilous) I agree that we should have seperate accounts for each civilization so its easier to follow. However for the purposes of voting we are gonig to have to say "This post written by The Capo" or something to that effect.

But good call.

One Love.

Comment

interested, but really dont have the time for it at the moment.
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by The Capo

I agree with much of this, the "paperwork" aspect is the one issue that needs to be settled the most. I think the maps and the amount of civs (and so on) is going to be relatively easy to determine. But deciding when things happen, who makes what decisions and how these decisions are made are going to be the biggest issues with this type of game.

And while I don't like anonymous play (well its not that I don't like it, its just that I think its frivilous) I agree that we should have seperate accounts for each civilization so its easier to follow. However for the purposes of voting we are gonig to have to say "This post written by The Capo" or something to that effect.

But good call.
                      I was thinking of making a separate story thread each month precisely because of this, the OP can make a list of who is which civ for that month, this eliminates the need for each player to post things like "BTW I'm Ozzy/Cyber/Hera."
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I Like it!

Count me in if there is still room.
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Sorry guys but I'm totally disinterested in this idea

It's a bit too cooperative for my liking

LOL
                          "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

I think I like the concept - still thinking about it - but throwing out some ideas here...

I think 14 turns is way too short a stint with each civ. I think monthly would work well on normal game speed.

And, instead of voting, how about at a specific and predetermined point in the game - sometime in the late game - civs are assigned permanently (but still randomly - and I think here you have to be able to get the civ you were last playing so you don't cripple it) )and normal victory conditions apply.
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

This thread seems to have died... and yet I still think it's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X