Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Years late to the game: How to get started in MP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years late to the game: How to get started in MP?

Saying I'm interested in getting into Civ4 multiplayer at this stage is probably like posting that I'm on the verge of inventing the electric light bulb. I know...hohum. Nevertheless, I've always liked Civ, but just couldn't invest as much time playing as I would have liked, due to the usual list of life's daily chores and commitments.

I'd like to get into playing some multiplayer, and I was hoping there might be a few stragglers out there who *don't* fall into the Civ4 "deity" category and might be interested in starting a game of casual PBEM, Pitboss, or whatever the popular method currently is.

I fully expect to get my head handed to me the first few games, although it might be nice to not get completely steamrolled and quickly lose interest. Can some of you regulars on the board provide suggestions/tips on how/where to get started with MP, despite my being late to the dance?

Cheers,
    Skyrider68

Hey man. I'll tell you some bad news and some good news. I'll start with the bad news because its something you are going to, or at least can, discover on your own; if you are new the worst place to start out is in the lobby provided by the game itself, if you want to get demoralized quickly and not learn anything its a very good place to start out. But I doubt you want to get demoralized.

That said, you have done something really good by stumbling upon Apolyton. It isn't the best site as far as websites go, but it does have a very tight-knit community and a lot of these guys have been around a while and know their stuff. You are also not as likely to get lost in the crowd around here. I am not the greatest Civ player there is, and I've been coming to this site since 2001 I believe. There are plenty of others that I know here who aren't that great either, no offense to any of them obviously, but I enjoy playing with them. Then there are also guys who could run circles around me who I enjoy playing with as well. So this is a pretty good place to start playing. I'm willing to play a couple of MP games with you too if you want to play against somebody, they just have to be on good times and days and all that.

PERSONALLY though, I am a Diplogamer. I am not going to attempt, at this juncture at least, to try and explain what that is because its a bit complicated and you might want to start out a few MP games before thrusting yourself (gross) into a Diplogame just yet. But I think they're really fun and one of the best things about Diplogames is that you become part of a "sub-community" of Civ players known as Diplogamers. You can go ahead and IM me if you have AOL/AIM, my name there is LBPBUMOUT, or if you want to hit me up on MSN my MSN is DIPLOCAPO@LIVE.COM.

But yeah, you are surely going to find some people who are going to want to play with you, and I can almost guarantee you some Diplogamers (including myself) are going to try and recruit you to play Diplogames. Of course Diplogaming requires a certain mentality, so you may not like it very much. But there's only one way to find out...

EDIT: Apparently I've been coming here since 2000, wow, that's ridiculous. I was so young then.
    "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

WELL I ONLY PLAY sINGLE PALYER ON sETTER LEVEL.

I ALSO ONLY PLAY dIPLO STYLE.

sO JUMP RIGHT IN AND PLAY

Comment

The Capo may be right that the Lobby is a jungle, but maybe that's the best place to start anyway. Just play a couple of games. MP is differen then SP. Human players won't have mercy on you pitty army.

Every satruday rah organizes a mp game, watch this forum, there's a special thread for it. That may be a very nice environment for you!

Good luck!
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
          Human players won't have mercy on you pitty army.
          Then again, if you have the right group of friendly players, they might have mercy where an AI wouldn't.
          Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
          "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Well you know that mercy is in the eye of the beholder, some forms of mercy are actually shackles of servitude, especially from some of the guys we play with in the Diplogames.
            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

How dare you say that, after the mercy I've shown you, Slave!!!

Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009

Comment

One tip,

If you cant make at least one ally you may as well give up and not play.

It quickly becomes very unfun in a MP game to have no ally.

Comment

Hey Skyrider. Saw your post in Shogun Gunner's thread in this forum ...

That is probably the best place to hunt up new games. That forum is specifically the meeting place for members/players looking to form new games - either pbem or pitboss.

And when I last checked Shogun's thread - even without him, we probably have enough players to get a game going.

The one caveat I would put out there however, and this may be obvious, is that in either format, pbem or pitboss, you are in for a lengthy commitment. Understood?

See you over there.
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I'm sure the people who have posted in this thread (and many others in this forum) would be willing to join you if you setup a game or two of your own and posted asking for players.

And I'm sure a few people would even respond to private challenges (via PM or somesuch), although be very careful not to spam anyone .

Long story short, I'm sure even the 'Deity' level players (there are less than you might think) would be willing to go easy on you and help teach you some advanced tactics. At least around here they should be, dunno about other sites.

Comment

btw, deity-sp players aren defenitely not the best mp players.

Comment

wow guys actualy -paly on deity and win ... you are jsut amazing...

actually was just palying a game on Noble as suppsoedly this is the NORMAL level.

Got my ass handed to me by the barbs before i could even discover archery.

had horses but that was the first thing the barbs took from me.

So no copper i only had warriors to fightwith, struggled agaisnt the archers and warriors barbs
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I don't think there are many people who win on deity in normal games. (normal maps, normal ammount of AI, normal rules).

And with a few I think on apolyton maybe 1 or 2 that win once ever 10 deity games.

I play on immortal level and I win once very 20 games.

Comment

I get my arse handed to me at least once every 10 games on Noble... Although Diplogaming has made me think about my choices and I'd like to think that I'm playing better for it.

Comment

Saturday nights (and occasionally friday nights) there are some folks around here who play - usually somewhere from 6pm to 8pm central time, so 4pm to 6pm PDT - see the "Rah's Saturday Game" thread. A wide variety of players, plenty of them at the easier levels and nobody really top level, so you'd probably fit in well. There are some differences - particularly, focus on your defense, as humans aren't AIs and are not predictable about when they'll attack - but overall it's the same game at the end of the day
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X