This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pitboss Rome
    You really are paranoid Sparta, if you are seeing posts appearing and disappearing. "It was there a minute ago, honest officer ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Rome
      You really are paranoid Sparta, if you are seeing posts appearing and disappearing. "It was there a minute ago, honest officer ..."
      What are you talking about?

pst. don't tempt me to post a copy of Korea's lost post here from my archives

Comment

• It was post 638, Rome said I should remove it so I removed it.

I think they were just screwing with you Greece.

Comment

• I Don't think you world do it.

Comment

• I've noticed that when things spice up we end turns without the timer having to run out

Nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Korea
              It was post 638, Rome said I should remove it so I removed it.

I think they were just screwing with you Greece.
              I know
              My 'what are you talking about' was an attempt to return the 'screwing'

Comment

• I seriously don't hope that Rome is 'holding the turn' till everybody ended his turn, only to be able to end it when he's ready to move his unit before I can move mine.

Technically there would be 6 hours between his two moves, but factually I stand no chance to move my unit because I ended my turn when I was done moving. (which is imho the way it should be done by everyone! The turn-based mechanism should not be exploited, even if there's on rule against it)

It should just be: do your moves and end your turn.

I'm just raising this issue before it may happen.

(Rome is hunting my phalanx with a crossbowman. My unit is on step ahead, but now he just placed his unit next to mine. Next turn it depends on who moves first. I stand no chance if he keeps control on when the turn ends and can immediately move again. There were more then 6 hours between his moves, but not between his logins, in that case, I'm not sure what the rules say about that).

Comment

• I think Rome will honour the natural turn order in war.

If he attacks you it's because of a double move but it's not outside the rules; and he was asking about the rule earlier on...

Comment

• It's indeed not against the letter of the rule.
                    But we just never discussed the possibility that someone would not end his turn.

Now I have too keep my game running and check ever 5 minutes if not the last player except Rome ended his turn, and keep an eye on Rome joining in....
                    That starts to sound like a game mechanic war.

I'd rather just have some random person end the turn at a moment neither Rome nor me can forsee, and then it's just the first who logs in to the game.

Comment

• Greece

Very pleased you posted this. I was going to post something similar last night (its first thing here now) but thought I would look stupid.

I'm completely confused as to the move stuff.

Definitely no intention at all to do double moving legally or not. My anxiety was the other way - a turn or so ago, I was in a position where if you did a double move you could have captured a city where the defenders had come out to chase you down.

As far as I can see there is no way of telling if an enemy unit has moved for not is there? Even if someone 'ends turn' they can still log back in and move?

I was burnt by this in Russia. No complaint against the Rus - they certainly didn't break the 6 hour rule - but several times the Rus seem to have taken their turn, I took mine, only to find that some of their units then moved/attacked. No complaint against the Rus - everything was within the rules - but it has left me wondering if you were about to do soemthing equally clever in the desert.

Hence while I moved, I was then logging back in to see whether you were about to do a clever double move spaced 8 hours apart!

But I agree, it makes it a nightmare to play, and unsustainable given jobs etc. I would be much happier with a 'turns taken in warfare' rule.

I am sure we can hunt each other honourably in the desert, but I think there is a bigger issue.

Comment

• I was in a position where if you did a double move you could have captured a city where the defenders had come out to chase you down.
                        Thanks for the awesome idea!

Nah.... won't do that.
                        I have no problems with a double move if there's enough time between the moves. But I don't think that taking a city with a double move trick will cause a very pleasing atmosphere, even if there were 7 hours between it.

But you do take a risk, keeping your city undefended. A double move with enough space between it could make you lose it. (what if there's 20 hours between it, b/c you just had no time to move?)

It's indeed impossible to see if someone already moved or not. And it's not against the rules to move some units early and some later.
                        But we should all refrain from exploiting.

I think that if we start a sequal turn system during war times, things will become more unpleasant. What if someone can only move at hour X while he's no allowed yet? Or can he make other moves? Can he login? Since we can't see what someone does during logins we can't track it....

best thing is imho to make screenshots of possible exploits, then the turn timer will tell if there's enough time between the moves.

And end your turn when you're done

Comment

• Thanks Greece

But I am not sure what the focus on ending turn is all about to be honest.

I have now played my turn and ended it. As always there are others who haven't finished yet.

But even now, even though I have ended turn, I could still log back in and move more units couldn't I? I could end turn, then drop my paratroops in the desert next to you, then attack seven hours later?

Effectively the current rule simply means 'if you are at war, you must log in within the first six hours of each turn, otherwise your opponent may legitimately take a double move'. Kind of tricky when the turn timer flips over at 11pm or 9am in your time zone.

But hey, I know you guys have thought about it before and what is possible, and in the ends its just a game, but still amused that you thought I was doing something clever with the timer, if only!

Comment

• Yes, that's all true.
                            But if you don't end your turn, then you decide when the next turn starts.

If everyone ends his turn, except you, then the next turn starts the moment you end it. And since you're already logged in at that moment, you are 100% sure to move first.

Comment

• Yes, and that is where I would have thought a rule addition that "if your end turn ends the whole turn you can't then log in again for 3 hours" would help.

Without being draconian it would ensure that there was no advantage, and even a disincentrive, to be the last to end turn. I can't see how it would hurt legitimate play (reduce it to 2 hours if you want), but it would take away any anxiety that someone is deliberately waiting to be the one to end turn so they can immediately then move.

(aren't we both more reasonable OOC? )

Comment

• That would be fine with me, but make it 1 hour and only during wartime. That's enough to remove the end-of-turn-waiting to-move quickly again.

(I'm glad that you admit that you're not reasonable IC :P and yes, you are definitely more reasonable OOC ) (sorry, couldn't resist)

Comment

Working...
                                X