Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next time I'm going to organize a diplo game I'm going to let all players pay $100 in advance. They'll only get it back when they played the game till the end.

Getting upset is ok. Nobody can play a game for 18 months without getting upset once in a while.
    it's only normal that with 18 players everyone is going to be unhappy once in a while because he's not getting what he wants.

But getting upset and quitting.....
    Especially after you just won a war, got what you wanted, except that one player says that you didn't do well diplomatic.

I'll tell you what, I have done diplomatic things with my civ in the past months that were pretty clever, but didn't got any diplo vote at all.
    I have written phantastic stories (imho) that some players didn't want to award with a vote at all.

That's how things go. It's only my opinion that it's been phantastic. It's only my opinion that it's been brilliant. Maybe it sucked and I just can't see it because I'm biased towards myself.

I have no stories of my past where I had great victories or achievements. I've always been a mediocre civ.
    - I have had 4 out of 8 cities being captured, 2 razed in my last game. I didn't quit.
    - I have had 3 of my major cities being nuked (out of 7) and I didn't quit
    - I lost 2 wars against the Indians in HOTW 5, lost my Allie to AI, and I didn't quit.
    - I got the worst land available (deep down, only ice and tundra) but I didn't quit.

And you want to quit because 1 player thinks that you shouldn't get diplo votes for winning a war?

In a few seconds you give up your anonimity. You don't even sleep over it 1 or 2 nights.
    You've been playing this game for 3 months every day, and now you just want to trow it all away in one moment of unhappiness?
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Yeah, WTF is that ? Don't quit or change civ now !

What you get for investing so much time into this game, is a high score. And this is also one of the four categorys. Military + high score already makes 50% of the diplo-game score. Add your nice stories to that, and you are at 75%. You have achieved an alliance strong enough to go at war together against the top civ, you DO diserve diplo-votes.

You are doing just f***ing well. Why the heck are you complaining ?

Comment

• You don't have to play the real romans.
        You can also play the romans in a totally different attitude. It's not a re-make of history.

And if you want challenge, why don't you end all your alliances and start a 4-fronts war against the Romans, the Russians, the Portugese and the Natives?

I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.
        But switching civs is just not a good idea. It hurts the game if the continueing of a civ stops.

I'll tell you something, when I subbed for Russia I made a pact with the Portugese to help them.
        I positioned my troops next to your undefended cities in the east. (west for me).

But then the real russia came back, eventhough I've informed him about everything he never lived up to it. He didn't declare war nor continue the story in any way.

That's what happens when civs are disrupted.
        Things wouldn't have been that bad for Portugal if Russia wouldn't have switched between CS / AI and Real Russia.

If you now switch civ you hurt Persia.
        And you also hurt Portugal, because Portugal and you have made deals.
        You do also hurt Greece because your follow-up may not live up to the deal.

The entire situation changes in your part of the world.

For all players of a game it works best if all players of the game stay in the game till the end of the game.

If you need challenge, then give half your empire to the Persians or the Portugese or try something else.
        I assure you that you may be a top-civ now, you never know what happens in the future. You may miss the train somewhere and end up at the bottom half of the score list.

Comment

• Rome, you can pull off a civ switch (if you really wanted) while maintaining anonymous. Just post only with your Pitboss Rome account. There is no reason to violate anonymity for this.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Can someone tell me where my posts went?

My whole explanation for why I want to switch my civ is gone, and writing that all over again is waaay too much work.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy

I'll tell you something, when I subbed for Russia I made a pact with the Portugese to help them.
              I positioned my troops next to your undefended cities in the east. (west for me).

Did you actually talk to Russia before taking this course of action? Also why do you think Portugal needs help? And why would helping Portugal be in Russia's best interest?

Comment

If you now switch civ you hurt Persia.
                And you also hurt Portugal, because Portugal and you have made deals.
                You do also hurt Greece because your follow-up may not live up to the deal.
                Why, I tell the player what deals I have, he has acces to my PM's and my diplomacy.

Sure he may not honor the deal but how is this different from a new king coming to power and not honoring his deals?

(OCC: Remember this is what happened to my old king he got murdered in a military coup, I threw a dice if the attempt would be successful and it was as a result the deal with Portugal was void since a power hungry general came to power.)

Also gifting half my civ is not realisitic, same for starting a four front war. I am willing to trade my civ with another civ, think about it, I'm sure there is at least one out of 16 players who is like me tired of his civ and dosen't enjoy the game anymore. Why risk alienating him when a swap can be done?

Imagine If I felt this way when Korea had trouble, that player might have stayed on.

Comment

I have no stories of my past where I had great victories or achievements. I've always been a mediocre civ.
                  - I have had 4 out of 8 cities being captured, 2 razed in my last game. I didn't quit.
                  - I have had 3 of my major cities being nuked (out of 7) and I didn't quit
                  - I lost 2 wars against the Indians in HOTW 5, lost my Allie to AI, and I didn't quit.
                  - I got the worst land available (deep down, only ice and tundra) but I didn't quit.
                  Those would be silly reasons to quit. I want to quit because I am doing too well.

Originally posted by CyberShy

And you want to quit because 1 player thinks that you shouldn't get diplo votes for winning a war?
                  Ehhh?

I specifically said (in my deleted post) that I want to cut down on the time and energy spent in my civ. I also want to get away from the hate & stress I'm exposed to as Rome.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    Rome, you can pull off a civ switch (if you really wanted) while maintaining anonymous. Just post only with your Pitboss Rome account. There is no reason to violate anonymity for this.
                    Are you denying my right to reveal my identity?

You better not do that, I'm a dissident by default and will violate it just to prove you wrong.

Comment

And if you want challenge, why don't you end all your alliances and start a 4-fronts war against the Romans, the Russians, the Portugese and the Natives?
                      That is not diplo.

If this was normal MP, if I was getting bored I would do that.

But there is no in game reason for me to be hostile to Natives, Russians or even Piercians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitboss Rome

Did you actually talk to Russia before taking this course of action? Also why do you think Portugal needs help? And why would helping Portugal be in Russia's best interest?
                        Russia is away for weeks already.
                        I tried to talk to him but failed b/c of no response.
                        As a sub I decided (and posted weeks ago) to full-sub till Russia would return.

It would be in Russia's interest because there were some really poor defended cities.
                        And it would fit in with Russia's history of war with Rome.

Comment

• Are you denying my right to reveal my identity?

Of course you have that right. It's just that we think it's a
                          Are you denying us the right to think it's a ?

That is not diplo.

Why is that not diplo?
                          You could decide to make your civ an isolationistic aggressive civ and play up to it.

But there is no in game reason for me to be hostile to Natives, Russians or even Piercians.

You can make up reasons.
                          You can switch governament or religion, you can make up stories on how your people become racists / facists, etc.

Anyway, quiting your civ is bad form and really against the spirit of diplogaming.
                          In diplogaming players take care of the community as well. Just stopping because you are bored of see no challenge is really bad form.

Comment

• April 22nd Heraclitus said in the original startup thread of this game

Heraclitus: I'm sure there would be no problems finding a group reliable enough to do turns every day.

Are you reliable enough to continue playing your turns, Rome?
                            Last edited by OzzyKP; September 11, 2008, 09:16.

Comment

Anyway, quiting your civ is bad form and really against the spirit of diplogaming.
                              In diplogaming players take care of the community as well. Just stopping because you are bored of see no challenge is really bad form.
                              That's not the way I see it. I see it as a change of leadership, I give someone who has power fantasies but does not have the skill set to accomplish them what they want and I get a quaint little civ that I can develop.

Comment

April 22nd Heraclitus said in the original startup thread of this game

Heraclitus: I'm sure there would be no problems finding a group reliable enough to do turns every day.

Are you reliable enough to continue playing your turns, Rome?
                                At first I said I would quit, but then I cooled down. I am willing to continue playing turns, but not Rome's turns.

Don't worry until this is settled I will keep turning.

Comment

Working...
                                X