• Show
Clear All

• Edit.

All the cool people are doing it.
    Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

• Arnold's Decision

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Territory

"So you are telling me that I am to report to Christopher, and I must leave now?" Benedict asked Jefferson, although he was not surprised at all "And oh yes, Captain Manning will be left in charge?"

"That is correct" Jefferson replied, he felt pretty assured of himself, especially considering he had arrived in Philadelphia with quite a substantial army, just in case "Christopher would like to see you in Richmond, he and the College agree that you have overstepped your mission here. Your messages to the Mali were not authorized and frankly you have done things that would ilicit the doubts of any leader, American or otherwise."

"The College! Hah! If anything they want that mewling little infant out of the chair, he is nothing close to anything that Samuel was, he did not deserve to-" Arnold began, he had quite a short fuse.

"You stop that now! We can change the nature of this trip very quickly, this could turn into an execution if you do not mind your tongue!" Jefferson was now enraged, and he felt in his heart that he had been right about Arnold; he was not to be trusted, and dangerous to America.

"You forget who rules here in Philadelphia Jonathan" Arnold said, he began to pace nervously "Very well, very well, I will go to Richmond, I will explain my actions. But I tell you Jefferson, you don't understand it down here. These people, these Inca and these Turks, they utilize a passive aggressive diplomacy, the Inca garrison their forces just over that mountain range, the Turks warned us against expansion as if they ruled these lands. You live in privlege there in Richmond, but here, this is land that American blood has been spilled for Jonathan, this is truly American territory."

"Benedict, you are being much too aggressive now, maybe you need to get back home for a while, these jungles are driving you mad."

"You know nothing Jefferson, you're too weak-willed. But I'll do what that boy says, I shall return to Richmond to hear him out, but make no mistake, I'll speak with the College as well, and they'll take my side." Arnold assured Jefferson as he grabbed his things "C'mon men, we go to Virginia, summon Manning for me at once!"

Meanwhile, in Richmond

Months had passed since the initial meeting between Abigail and Christopher, and since that first moment their bond had grown. Christopher's herbalists were able to cure Milton of his ailment, and the old man would survive for many more years (little did their ancient minds know, but Milton's ailment was actually an allergic reaction that would have resolved itself anyway).

"Oh Abigail, when I am with you I forget about the world" Christopher began, "all of its problems, its aggressions, its disagreements. Sometimes I wonder why I ever became the Commander in Chief."

"You know why Christopher, your Uncle Sam is proud of you, imagine him up there, with Liberty seeing his nephew become the man he's become. You've increased American lands greatly, you've established our military, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about the barbarians ever again, let alone York." she kissed his forehead "You worry too much."

"I don't know, sometimes I don't care about this anymore. Not since I've met you" he said, he brushed her hair from her eyelash "Let's run away."

"What? Christopher you must be joking," she said, she looked into his eyes and it was apparent that he wasn't "there are so many people depending on you, my father for one, and where would we go? I can't imagine being anywhere else, look how beautiful it is here."

"I've just been thinking about things, about us, and our children. You know, I've never loved another woman, I've never been with another woman, I've always been shy around them, but you I" he gulped nervously "I just, you change me for the better."

"Chris, stop it you're making me blush" she said, turning away playfully "I don't know what to say, I want what's best for you, and for us, and I think our place is here in America, your place is here as its Commander."

"Abigail" he said, he turned her head around "I can sense something is not right, I don't want things to go badly, I don't even want to rule anymore. I just want us to be happy, and have a family together. Let Arnold have his way, he can have my crown for all I care!"

Somewhere on the Road to Richmond

"And this will look natural?"

"Completely, completely, it will appear as if though a disease has taken the victim, it will take weeks to work and by that time nobody will have suspected a thing."

"He must drink all of this?"

"All of it."

"And there is no smell? Can I smell it?"

"NO! Don't even open that vial until you're prepared to use it, there is no smell, I assure you."

"You understand if I get caught there are great consequences, I will be finished."

"I assure you, you will not get caught, nobody will suspect a thing."

"For this price, they had better not..."
      Last edited by Diplo America; February 7, 2008, 23:03.

Comment

• Re: Message to the people of the Netherlands

Originally posted by Diplo America

Commander in Chief Christopher the Yankee, Chief of Virginia, Lord of Philadelphia

TO: Willem of the Netherlands

Hail Willem!

We have noted your message greeting our people and apologize for the time and duration of this response, it may have taken time for our missive to reach your court as we have no understanding of exactly where your nation is. It is quite apparent though, due to Dutch fishing boats, that it is accross the sea.

While initially alarmed at Dutch scouts in the Rocky Mountain chain, we take a positive and friendly approach to relations with the Dutch people and understand that they are a wise and honorable lot.

Trade shall be promoted between our two people, and thus our futures will prosper. However, we must warn that American land claims will be protected with the highest degree of hostility and with the lowest degree of discrimination.

We look forward to unending centuries of mutual peace and prosperity!

-J. Jefferson
        To: J. Jefferson

My king has asked me to thank you for your reply.

Willem de King wishes to alert you to de fact that de eastern seaboard of de continent that you are on has been Dutch coastline for centuries. Our cultural borders spread across the seas and envelops the eastern seaboard by one or two distance units (sq). Of course the Dutch claim this land and the resources in it. We are planning a settlement so as not to encroach on the unclaimed sugar fields, which my King regards as American.

Our settlement will be northerly and will NOT encroach American cultural borders. De new city will maintain de lowest culture possible so as to not infringe upon future American growth.

If you negotiate favourably with us on this matter certain 'compensations' may be offerred to de Americans.

Any American attempt to settle the NE tip of de coastline will be regarded by de Dutch as an act of war!

Please be informed by this advise kind sir,

Yours,

Verkerk

PS When my cartographers return I will forward to you a map of the area and the proposed site.
        Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
        [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Originally posted by Diplo America
          There has been discussion about long posts, or too much reading.

I think in general we should try and keep storyline posts pertinent to what is going to happen with our country or explain why things are going on. The goddess stories are all well and good, but sometimes I think they are a bit long, and frankly pointless.

If you are going to create a long story like that it should have something to do with a policy your country is going to engage in, now if that is the case by all means continue, but I think if there is too much filler people miss out on the diplomacy, and that's the point of the diplogame.
          Well, if you read it carefully, my goddes story did explain a lot about about France. Anyhow I clearly labeled it as a saga and people are free to skip it. In any case the saga is limited in scope to the "Age of Heroes" after tha it does not appear normaly as a literary form. Plus you make equally long internal politics posts, you explained your actions through internal politics and the personal lives of leaders, I thought the "ancient" nature of this epoch would be best presented in myth.

In any case, made a equally long "proper" history post on both the early and late bronze age.

Originally posted by Diplo America
          Edit.

All the cool people are doing it.
          Yes I'm glad you cought on to that.

But our wicked ways tempt Ozzy, for he has said he frowns upon it.
          Last edited by Diplo France; February 8, 2008, 16:46.
          'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

• Official American Message

Commander in Chief Christopher the Yankee of America, Lord of Virginia.

TO:
            Verkerk, Foreign Affairs Noble

Simply stated;

You come here, you die here. There will be no negotiations, this is our land, we will destroy you if you arrive here.

We apologize for our tenor, but the simple fact that you would suggest such a settelment is ludicrous. It is simple imperialism and we will not accept an intrusion upon our birthright. This is an affront to our ancient beliefs and the simple frankness of your statement is disheartening, we hope you will rethink your aims because I assure you, your settlers will not be met with fanfare...

-J. Jefferson

Comment

• Amero-Dutch border dispute

Remi the Second, King of France

TO: All who have made contact with France

Our explorers have not yet come into contact with the fabled American people. We hope this will be remedied in the near future. We do so ask our dear friends to state the price they might demand in order to allow contact be made via their embassies between the French and American people, since we believe there is much common ground among us and them. We also request it as a personal favor that a copy of this message be sent to the American foreign advisor.

In the past many agreements where made by the French and several other nations. We regard several of these treaties as law among kings. A good example of this, is our division of land with the Mongols. This includes the fair border agreed upon as well as mutual recognition of our respective claims to land and the division of certain resources near Lyons.

More relevantly we also did, in ancient times agree upon a division of land with the Dutch regarding several islands. The fact that one of these lands has turned out, not being an island after all makes little difference. We are bound by our conscience and our written accords, since Dutch recognition of our own territorial claims depend upon this, to recognize the Dutch claim as stated in their public communiqué.

Let us assure all the fair rulers of Terra that we have studied the issue in great detail and from many angles, to see if the law may be unjust in this case. Since justice can, sometimes, be more important than law and since we are not eager to grant land to the more powerful party. But if the Dutch uphold their pledges, we see little evidence for such a case. If the Americans disagree they are welcome to make their reasonable arguments publicly known. If they have merit we may be motivated to re-open this matter.

We King Remi II of France do proclaim the following:

The territorial claims of Holland in this case, are by the judgment of the King of France legal, just and fair. Those lands are in the eyes of King Remi II, Dutch. We shall therefore not look kindly upon those who would violate them.

-King Remi II of France
              Last edited by Diplo France; February 8, 2008, 16:35.

Comment

• Remi the Second, King of France

TO:Mali

It has been a long time since the French have last had contact with your people, we do hope more contact will follow in the future. Your lands are one of mystery and legend to us. My own father once traveled near them and is rumored to have encountered a former ruler of Mali badly injured but victorious after a battle with a dangerous beast. We desire trade, especially of luxury resources to appease our nobles, we also seek quality building material to fortify our border cities. We are also open to trading knowledge. Our Confucian priests are also very interested in a religion called Taoism, that is present in your lands. Perhaps you could send a missionary to start a philosophical school in one of our cities, no doubt they will argue with our scribes and no doubt they will both love every minute of it. We look forward and thank you for your confidential response.

-King Remi II of France
                Last edited by Diplo France; February 8, 2008, 16:46.

Comment

• Official American Message

Commander in Chief Christopher the Yankee of America, Lord of Virginia.

TO: Verkerk of Holland, Remi II of France, Vlad Tepes of Carpathia

Hail Remi! Hail Vlad Tepes! Hail Verkerk!

I have sent this missive to all nations that have, thus far, been party to this matter. If the nations of Holland and France do not understand why I have invoked Carpathia, they will know soon.

The King of France seems to think that agreements he has made, especially when considering the lands that America shares with Carpathia a mere "island," are the only ones on Terra made by kings. This notion is not only self-centered, but wholly incorrect. For thousands of years Carpathia and America have operated under an agreement to respect eachother's land claims, which include the area the Dutch so boldly claim as their own. If we are to take Remi's position that these claims should be respected then it behooves France and Holland to respect the ancient agreement of America and Carpathia.

But this of course is moot.

Why is this moot? Simply stated; it doesn't matter what has occured before. If Holland and France believe that an agreement they have made will effect America or Carpathia they are mistaken. The "northern tip" of our continent that the Dutch so blatantly claim as their own is already under Carpathian suzerainty, and the further coastline to the south is or will soon be under American suzerainty. There is no land for Holland here, and there will be no land for Holland here. We don't understand just why Holland believes it can go around taking whatever land it wishes to. But the simple fact is that America already has claims to this land recognized by at least three other states (the other two we will not involve in this matter), and will be defended just as it if were Richmond itself!

We also have the means to prevent dutch expansion, please Willem, do not sacrafice your people out of petty pride!

We do not wish a war here, for there is no reason for one. The Dutch have simply made a mistake and unfortunately for them they will not get their claim, there can be no negotiation over this. If it is imperative that the Dutch save face we can maybe offer them some form of concession, but there is no way we can accept a dutch settlement on our ancestral lands. The dutch would not allow us to do the same to theirs, and we shall not allow them to do so to ours.

We are quite sorry that the two of you thought you were squabbling over a small island, but unfortunately it is not a small island; this is the land of Carpathia and America, and so it shall be for perpetuity.

Good day.

-J. Jefferson

Comment

• Benedict and Christopher...

Richmond, Virginia, Christopher's estate.

Benedict fixed his armor so as to look more imposing, he practiced his gaze in a nearby mirror; he did not want to look weak to Christopher, he was dead set upon maintaining his titles in Philadelphia and knew that Christopher's aims were to diminish his authority. The door to the Commander's chambers opened slightly, and Jonathan Jefferson poked his head out "Are you ready Benny?" he asked.

"Its General Arnold to you" Benedict replied, he knew Jefferson had been speaking ill of him, and was still angered over the way he dealt with him in Philadelphia "So the boy is ready, eh?"

"Benedict, please, can we keep this on the up and up today, you have no idea what is occuring right now."

"Bah!" Arnold said, holding his hand to Jefferson's face and walking into the Commander's chambers, before Christopher could say anything Arnold began "So my dear boy, to what do I owe this arduous and expensive journey?"

Christopher rose from his seat "Please General Arnold, have a seat."

"I'd rather stand" the General said defiantly.

"I don't think you will General." Christopher said.

"Christopher, Christopher, Christopher, is this anyway to speak to your finest, and dare I say most popular General?"

"Damn it Benedict! You are so short-sighted, you in your little world down there, please stop this charade! We've got real problems!" Christopher barked, he swiftly approached Benedict, who slowly went for his sword "My Lord Allah, you are going for your sword?"

"Just a habit" Benedict said as Christopher shoved a scroll into his chest "What is this?"

"Read it..." Christopher replied.

Willem de King wishes to alert you to de fact that de eastern seaboard of de continent that you are on has been Dutch coastline for centuries. Our cultural borders spread across the seas and envelops the eastern seaboard by one or two distance units (sq). Of course the Dutch claim this land and the resources in it. We are planning a settlement so as not to encroach on the unclaimed sugar fields, which my King regards as American.
                    "So the Dutch are going to settle, wait, where are they going to settle?" Benedict scratched his head "The Carpathians already have the northern coasts secured, are they speaking of the eastern coasts?"

"We aren't sure, they aren't very clear on this, but regardless as per our agreements with the Carpathians we can't allow their expansion in either event." Christopher said, handing Benedict another scroll and taking the dutch one back.

"Another one, who the hell is Remi II?" Benedict asked.

"Apparently the monarch of France, but nobody knows, it might be a dutch trick." Christopher said "That is, if they were smart enough to do this."

"Hmm, Our explorers have not yet come into contact with the..."

fabled American people. We hope this will be remedied in the near future. We do so ask our dear friends to state the price they might demand in order to allow contact be made via their embassies between the French and American people, since we believe there is much common ground among us and them. We also request it as a personal favor that a copy of this message be sent to the American foreign advisor.
                    "...blah blah blah, do you want me to keep reading this aloud?" Benedict asked.

"I don't think I asked you to in the first place." Christopher reacted, he poured two cups of beer "here Benedict, have some beer, its good, its from Carpathia."

Benedict took a cup, "Alright where was I, Um, we also did, in ancient times agree upon a division of land with the Dutch regarding several islands....

The fact that one of these lands has turned out, not being an island after all makes little difference. We are bound by our conscience and our written accords, since Dutch recognition of our own territorial claims depend upon this, to recognize the Dutch claim as stated in their public communiqué.

Let us assure all the fair rulers of Terra that we have studied the issue in great detail and from many angles, to see if the law may be unjust in this case. Since justice can, sometimes, be more important than law and since we are not eager to grant land to the more powerful party. But if the Dutch uphold their pledges, we see little evidence for such a case. If the Americans disagree they are welcome to make their reasonable arguments publicly known. If they have merit we may be motivated to re-open this matter.

We King Remi II of France do proclaim the following:

The territorial claims of Holland in this case, are by the judgment of the King of France legal, just and fair. Those lands are in the eyes of King Remi II, Dutch. We shall therefore not look kindly upon those who would violate them.
                    "Hmm, so what'd you say to them?" Benedict asked, he had yet to drink his beer.

"Aren't you going to drink that beer?" Christopher asked.

"I don't know, I'm kind of, well I'm a little sick maybe I shouldn't get drunk." Benedict explained.

"No you're going to miss out, sent by Tepes himself, please drink up." Christopher tried to coax him into it.

"Uhm, I don't know, what'd you say to them though?"

"Why won't you drink it?" Christopher asked.

"What's the difference? I dont' want any beer right now, what did you say to them?"

"Very well, I tried to be polite. Well I must admit, I have been on edge lately between the children and Abigail and not to mention you in the south causing me trouble, so I responded quite aggressively to the dutch, the French as for them well, I don't even know that they exist, let alone where to reach them." Christopher explained.

"Good, good taking a strong stance against the Dutch, honestly I thought you brought me here to chastise me, I didn't realize we had issues like these." Benedict said.

"Oh yes, I wanted to keep it secret though, so nobody told you before you arrived" Christopher lied "Manning will be fine leading Philadelphia for now, we need your skills here in the north."

"Manning is half dutchman anyway, well I think he is, he's from around there, you know what I mean. So you are asking me for advice?" Benedict asked.

"Well, yes, I am." Christopher said reluctantly, taking a huge gulp of beer "I can't do this alone, and we must be united if we are to succeed here."

"Send Jefferson to Carpathia, talk to Tepes. We should send an emissary to the dutch as well to explain to them our situation, if they truly thought this to be an island clearly that changes the entire nature of their agreement with France, if Remi is so reliant on law of Kings as he himself called it then clearly the agreement can only pertain to the lands discovered at that time, thus a small sliver which is too small to settle. But even in that case we still have our own objections based on our agreement with Carpathia." Benedict said.

"Well I've already said that to him, that our agreement with Carpathia which is also part of Remi's 'law of kings' speaks to the contrary of this dutch claim."

"I thought you said there was no way of reaching him?"

"Well, I sent the message to the dutch and Carpathia, hopefully the dutch send it to France in kind." Christopher said "We wish to avoid war in this matter, obviously, but if we must have war I want you to command our forces."

"Very well Commander" Benedict felt strange saying that to Christopher, but to Christopher it meant more than Arnold would ever know "I will agree to tone down my rhetoric in Philadelphia, we will defend America, even if we disagree on many things."

"Glad to hear it, I shall send a message to Vlad Tepes as soon as possible..."

Comment

• Somehwere in Richmond, somewhere in the shadows...

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"How did it go, according to plan I assume?"

"No, the time was not right."

"Don't get soft on me, you know what needs to be done."

"I can't risk national disunity, not at a time like this."

"Bah! This is a drop in the bucket, if you wait too long there will be even more problems, we can solve this issue without him, he isn't necessary to solving this problem."

"Maybe, but why chance it?"

"Listen to me, its either him or you, and you know it."

"Okay, just let me find the right time, it would have been far too obvious."

"Very well, but we'll be watching you..."

Comment

• The people of the Great Rivers have continued to make great progress, settling another city on the coast to the north and developing a formal structure of government, thus allowing our cities to increase their efficiency. This is needed because unlike other nations of Terra we have very little space with 4 other nations founding cities near our own.
                        First a fair system of law has been set up with courthouses built in many cities, easing corruption and increasing efficiency. Second, the government structure has been formalised with the beginnings of government departments and a beauracracy and formal selection of government leaders from father to son, there is no more unrest choosing leaders when the King dies, lessening waste and increasing peoples happiness. This transition was hastened by an agreement with the Inca peoples who provided the people of the Great Rivers with the knowledge of Kings and leadership succession along with the ability to utilize wheat as a food source, increasing our food variety and health of our people. In return we taught the backward people of the Incas how to count and how to make articles of gold and supply the mineral to them.
                        Although some tension remains along our border with the Mongols, this is kept at a low level with both sides sticking to our agreements, however with cities built so close there will always be some land use tensions, the people of the Great Rivers hope that this will be kept to a minimum. Also with Holland, there has been minimal tension to this point, but there is a coastal resource that the citizens of our northern city would like to use, but are prevented from doing so due to Hollands influence, although they cannot use it themselves. The people of the city maintain that their influence will grow and address this situation in the future.
                        Confucian teaching have filtered across the open border from Holland and its wise sayings have been accepted by the government of Great Rivers has a good basis for maintaining social stability and happiness. However the citizens of the capital have to this point chosen to remain aloof from the teachings of Confucius and instead worship an ancient prophet Jesus as God.
                        This is creating some tension within the government and although the King Sulamein the 8th remains committed to Confucian teachings and his heir, the 2nd prince Constantine has adopted the teachings of Jesus, who he calls the Son of God, not a prophet and tries to insist the people of the Great Rivers worship Jesus instead. Prince Constantine is particularly ambitious and maybe sees his push for Christianity as a means to take the Kingship at some time.

Comment

• There was an important agreement reached with the people of Mali, which has advanced our knowledge and taught our people about the mineral iron and also some stuff about many gods, however with the spreading knowledge of Christianity, the many gods idea has been generally rejected as interesting but false teaching. Our records no longer reveal what we taught them, but the people of the Great Rivers did share knowledge with the people of Mali.

Comment

• Wait, does that mean that the Ottomans traded two techs for two techs with the Inca, and then made another trade with the Mali?

So as far as trades go from there its:

Ottomans 3
                            Inca 2
                            Mali 1

?

Comment

• To: King Remi II of France

Greetings to your lordship. I fear that this religion....Taoism....is unknown to the Malinese people. We are keen followers of the Vodun faith, the mysteries of which we would be happy to share with you in future. Our....contacts, shall we say, within foreign empires also tell us that your empire & the American empire have had some "disagreements" over territory. Though we know little about the American empire, we would dissuade you from continuing this present course, which we fear might be akin to awaking a sleeping giant.
                              May I suggest an "Interfaith Dialogue" where our two empires can exchange our mutual views regarding our Belief systems?

Yours.

Mansa Sossa, c/o Chief Koboku.

Comment

• A response to America

Remi the Second, King of France

To: All who have made contact with France and are willing to relay a copy of this message to the Americas

Firstly let us say We are very pleased a copy was sent to Americans, we hope a second one can be sent too. We also wish to remind the Americans that if they wish to deal in private, our ambassadors in the lands of the Dutch, Ottomans and Incas would be very pleased at receiving word from you. In this fashion we could send Mail or “private messages” but unfortunately will not be able to agree on any issues of trade. We shall to this end send explorers beyond the Russian desert or contact the Dutch to see if they would be willing to ferry French “surveyors” to the coast of which you speak of to establish a direct diplomatic presence.

Secondly we must say we are displeased by the manner in which America responded. The Dutch provided us with maps to the region and their arguments were state plainly and logically. You responded quite aggressively and even insulted France, labeling us as “self-centered”. Which we are not! Enquire as to our repute with any of the Eastern nations, I challenge you to produce a single testimony that we have been less than fair and amicable in our dealings with them! Furthermore if your claim is in regards to our public announcement, it is quite clearly based on a logical fallacy. We never claimed French treaties should be held as law by nations who are not part of them! And neither did we assume a lack of similar accords on the barbarian plagued West! Our “law among Kings” can be summed up in “keeping your word”.

Thirdly we need to clarify that the Dutch are not making this claim in based on the Franco-Dutch treaty. We are only orienting our official policy based on it. We always have our scholars look up ancient agreements, to prevent illegal action, before committing to new policy, do the Americans not do the same? We can only base our policy on agreements we made in the past. And our agreement with the Dutch is quite clear in its wording, they have the right to settle the Isles! Now if justice demanded otherwise we would change our opinion. But our opinion will not be swayed by screaming This is mine or else!, it never has and never will be, we have found that all nations can be reasonable if they are treated with respect.

Is there no leeway? The Dutch desire to build a single city that would not be used as grounds for further claims. Furthermore they have offered compensation, they have pledged not to expand further and they have even pledged to keep Dutch cultural pressure on American settlers minimal. The city could even be a trading outpost that would accelerate the recovery of western lands. The Americans have offered nothing! And you accuse the Dutch of imperialism! Now if we were convinced that Dutch claims are utterly unjust we could even support such a position.

We once again ask the Americans to in a private communiqué produce a summary of agreements among them and the Carpathians to us along with their own maps (screenshot), perhaps the Dutch have misrepresented the situation to us, doctoring the maps, but we doubt it. We have no interest in that region, but as a power we must make our policy on the subject known to avoid misunderstandings. You will have a hard time finding a nation as willing to sway their opinion based on evidence and reason, and not secret scheming or dealing.

If the Americans or the Carpathians try to strong-arm the Dutch into a settlement, we would be no less outraged, than if Western Axemen would land next to Utrecht and claim it as their land! We will respect any fair consensual agreement amongst the Dutch and the great Western powers of Carpathian and America. For now our position remains unchanged.

We King Remi II of France do reaffirm the following:

The territorial claims of Holland in this case, are by the judgment of the king of France legal, just and fair. Those lands are in the eyes of King Remi II, Dutch. We shall therefore not look kindly upon those who would violate them.

-King Remi II of France

Comment

Working...
                                X