Diplogame HOTW XII Ragnarok - Story Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diplo Ottoman
    The whispering is increasing from the least to the greatest, whispers in Arabic only, whispers not to be heard by foreign ears, nothing written down, this cannot be revealed before its time

The yearning is there, the desire is strong, something momentous, something stupendous, something never done before in the annals of the History of the Worlds is being discussed, planned, considered.

Can It be done?

The spirit of the ottoman people is stirring, an ambitious spirit longing for something better, MUCH BETTER
    Something wonderful is about to happen
    Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
    [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Many words are being whispered, one word seems to be used more than most Freedom

How will it happen, why will it be eternal

Can It actually happen in this world we are in.

The Spirit of the people of the Great Rivers says YES YES

It will take a century or two to achieve, something this dramatic, that is designed to last an eternity cannot happen in a decade.

Comment

• OOC: These quotes from Machiavelli or Sun Tzu are either the ones I followed or ones that I think were in hindsight relevant to the Franco-Incan war. I modified a few of them and added one or two, I think it is clear which ones. I would recommend The Art of War and The Prince by Machiavelli to any civ player or anyone who wishes to expand their horizons. Reading them is incredibly insightful and entertaining. It will help your game. I am a poor Civ player, but with a bit of creative thinking and the advantage of having reread The Art of War about a month ago and the Prince about six months ago, I was able to achieve this victory against a superior foe. The first two quotes are mine. Also I wish I had the luxury of following his advice on mercenaries, since he was right. I also should have followed some other pieces of advice he gave, but I wasn't thinkging clearyl enough because I wasn't feeling weel. The screens were made after the game, since I didn’t take any during the game.

The Art of War
        by Charlemagne

”First Incan mistake: They thought they could achieve the supreme excellence of a victory without fighting.

"Second Incan mistake: They fought our armies and not our strategies.”

"Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them."

”When fighting a superior foe remember this: To capture a city by expending irreplaceable forces is not the acme of skill. To keep your cities but expend your enemy’s forces is the acme of skill.”

"Impossible' n'est pas français."

”He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious.”

”A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.”

” It is best to keep one’s own state intact; to crush the enemy’s state is only second best.”

”If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
        ..”

”The expert in battle seeks his victory from strategic advantage and does not demand it from his men.”

3rd French army in the uneasy years that followed the war, monitoring Incan reinforcements

If our troops are no more in number than the enemy, that is amply sufficient; it only means that no direct attack can be made. What we can do is simply to concentrate all our available strength, keep a close watch on the enemy, and obtain reinforcements.

” If in the neighborhood of your camp there should be any hilly country, ponds surrounded by aquatic grass, hollow basins filled with reeds, or woods with thick undergrowth, they must be carefully routed out and searched; for these are places where men in ambush or insidious spies are likely to be lurking. ”

”If the enemy sees an advantage to be gained and makes no effort to secure it, the soldiers are exhausted. ”

”There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.”

” Peace proposals unaccompanied by a sworn covenant indicate a plot. ”

Quotes about Charlemagne

OOC: Any comments you wish make to about my "Art of War", Charlemagne or The Hundred Year war will be added to this section.

"If someone puts up the argument that King Charles should have given Juto to the Incas to avoid war, I would answer as I did before: that you should never let things get out of hand in order to avoid war. You don't avoid such a war, you merely postpone it, to your own disadvantage."
        Last edited by Diplo France; March 20, 2008, 08:08.
        'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

• The true start of the Franco/Inca war

Ginkel was ailing in Amsterdam.

He was related to the owners of Prestigious Maps and was responsible for representing the "Huygens, Ginkel & Clovis" authorship of the document.

The tri-umvirate was shaky and people in Hollande and France were aware of the Inca threat and the bungle by "Huygens, Ginkel & Clovis".

However, the illness of Ginkel proved a useful distraction in Hollande.

---

How had the Inca founded an INLAND city so quickly and within only several years of the publication of the "Huygens, Ginkel & Clovis" map?

Further investigation revealed the bungle.

Magnification of their map revealed the only happy resources, other than silver, in the whole of the new world - the aweful secret of the demi-god. There were no plantations in the new world; no gems, no dye, no gold - not in New Hollande NOR in New France.

There was only Wine in New France and the Inca went straight to it.

They ignored the New France claims by France and settled, not a port city, but inland they settled New Cuzco right in the middle of the richest part of THe Great Wine Belt claimed by land-deficient France.
          Attached Files
          [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Carpathian Response

OOC: Story post to follow. Just wanted to start negotiations now as opposed to tommarrow at the last minute.

To: The American Government

Americans,

We apologize for being absent concerning negotiations with your nation. Our leader, Vlad Tepes II is no longer of this terra. Carpathia is in chaos, and at this point is represented by a governmental body composed of the mayors of our citys.

We very much want peace after so many years and so many lives lost. We understand that you have the upper hand, and perhaps we should be satisfied with simply peace. However, the mayors of Oradea and Foccicia insist that there can be no peace, at least no meaningful peace, until these Carpathian cities are returned to Carpathian control.

In exchange, we offer Craiova, which will make a nice addition to your empire. There is no standing mayor for this city, and therefore the exchange would not upset many Carpathians.

Please consider this agreement.

- Interm Carpathian Government
            YIM is CarpathiaCiv
            MSN is CarpathiaCiv
            Email is diplo_carpathia at plomp dot eu

Comment

• Message to all Nations of Terra

Dear Terrans,

We as a people have finally come together and overthrown our tyranical leader Vlad Tepes. We wish only to live as other nations live, with peace and prosperity.

For the slaughter of some settlers, we have lost over half of our nation. Our economy is in ruins, our military almost non-existant, and our prospects for the future bleak.

We do not doubt that many will regard this as justice for our past agression. We ask that you realize these choices were those of our crazed leader, and not the fair people of Carpathia.

Dispite many awful rumors that we drink blood and even posess the ablity to shapeshift, we are just like you. We want more than anything to regain a meaning full place in this world, and contribute to the greater good. This cannot be achived until the orginal citys of Carpathia are once again united under our now civil yet fledgling government.

We ask that diplomatic pressure be applied to America for a fair peace agreement to be reached. Although we admit our ex-leader started this terriable war, we as a people never wanted it. Although America argues that this war has cost them dearly, the reality of it is they gained much from it.

Three nations against one, and for what? The killing of a settler party? If a man steals bread from a table does he deserve his home burned and family murdered? When the attacked turns into an unstoppable attacker is that justice? When a people suffer under their leader, then pay again for that leaders bad choices is that justice?

We sent this message to all nations of terra (minus the sneaky Inca) in hopes that a broken, abused, and freedom hungry people may once again hold their heads with pride. All we ask is that the orginal Carpathian citys of Oradea and Foccicia be returned to the Carpathian people so we may start anew.

- The Desperate People of Carpathia
              YIM is CarpathiaCiv
              MSN is CarpathiaCiv
              Email is diplo_carpathia at plomp dot eu

Comment

• Re: Message to all Nations of Terra

Originally posted by Diplo Carpathia
                Dear Terrans,

We as a people have finally come together and overthrown our tyranical leader Vlad Tepes. We wish only to live as other nations live, with peace and prosperity.

For the slaughter of some settlers, we have lost over half of our nation. Our economy is in ruins, our military almost non-existant, and our prospects for the future bleak.

We do not doubt that many will regard this as justice for our past agression. We ask that you realize these choices were those of our crazed leader, and not the fair people of Carpathia.

Dispite many awful rumors that we drink blood and even posess the ablity to shapeshift, we are just like you. We want more than anything to regain a meaning full place in this world, and contribute to the greater good. This cannot be achived until the orginal citys of Carpathia are once again united under our now civil yet fledgling government.

We ask that diplomatic pressure be applied to America for a fair peace agreement to be reached. Although we admit our ex-leader started this terriable war, we as a people never wanted it. Although America argues that this war has cost them dearly, the reality of it is they gained much from it.

Three nations against one, and for what? The killing of a settler party? If a man steals bread from a table does he deserve his home burned and family murdered? When the attacked turns into an unstoppable attacker is that justice? When a people suffer under their leader, then pay again for that leaders bad choices is that justice?

We sent this message to all nations of terra (minus the sneaky Inca) in hopes that a broken, abused, and freedom hungry people may once again hold their heads with pride. All we ask is that the orginal Carpathian citys of Oradea and Foccicia be returned to the Carpathian people so we may start anew.

- The Desperate People of Carpathia
                To The Mayors of Carpathia

Please note previous sympathetic correspondence from Hollande in this arena and also please check your plomp ale mail.

Clovis
                [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Hello students, I hope you read the excerpt from the Mongolian political exchange I sent you earlier this week. It is important for understanding the style and manner of Mongolian politics of the time.

So, let me get to todays theme, the Liberalization of Mongolia. Following a period of great isolation, Mongolia prospered greatly. Its time of solitude and distance from foreign influence led to great innovation and growth. Mongolia's representative government form, however primitive to modern eyes was not only uniquely advanced for its time, it was extremely effective. The different tribes pushed different priorities at the Tribesmoot, creating a diverse and varied nation, yet still managing to keep it unified.

The diversity of the different tribes led to a growing wish for increased personal freedom, and the ideas of Liberalism were first spawned in Mongolia, resulting in a great growth and influx of intellectuals who would sneak across the borders to partake in the freedoms of Mongolia. The Printing Press was first invented in Mongolia, printing French letters in both Frankish and Mongolian. This led to even greater scientific achievements and Mongolian engineers managed to build advanced machineries enabling Lumbermills and greatly increasing production throughout the land. A great need for wood caused these Lumbermills to be built across the entire nation, resulting in a reopening of borders to allow an influx of workers from America and France. Mongolia became a centre for craftsmen, artisans and builders throughout the east which would greatly influence its future development.

The timber industry became a central component of the growing industrial economy of Mongolia. The gradual ending of the isolationist time did not end the Mercantilist policies that denied foreign merchants access to the markets of the Plain, but it did heighten the standing of Mongolia among faraway nations. The thousands of American workers constructing Lumber and Watermills across the nation brought with them home great values in Mongolian gold currency and possibly more influential, ideas. Frankish workers also mingled with the American and Mongol builders creating a strong notion of common cause and great solidarity, laying the groundwork for the international workers union that would become extremely influential in the following century.

We'll take a short break now and I'll return later to discuss the required reading and internal politics of the time.
                  e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
                  msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

• With the ending of the Middle Ages the exponetial growth of enlightenment in Hollande was profound until now.

The Dutch knew that the unrestrained pursuit of profit posed serious threats to the soul of the nation and the situation needed to be managed.

Holland was a small country forced to live by its wits and clever golden ages tactics where civics moved freely to suit the current circumstances. Often boasting a strong republican system where Pacifism was a key element in its foreign policy, producing a galaxy of merchants, philosophers, scientists, prophets and artists.

Hollande had always been the refuge for those fleeing censorship and thought control in other places.

The most frustrating thing for Huygens was the lack of liberalization in Hollande. All the new thinkers and free speakers were now slipping across the border into Mongolia. For long now Hollande had been the refuge of the politically outcast and the tri-umvirate was cemented more as a junta now.

With Ginkel's illness and the Prestigious maps disaster a weaker di-umvirate was in the making. Or was it stronger? Clovis and Huygens were the two most opposed in the old tri-umvirate and Ginkel formed the glue that held them in balance.

---

The growth of the colonies was slowed - first by indecisiveness of other nations and tumultuous leadership changes in France; second by the Franco/Inca war and the massive growth of armies in Mongolia and Inca.

Huygens continued to press for colonisation and internatonal trade. Clovis wanted better weaponry and more troops and better espionage protection. On the latter Huygens and Clovis did a deal and only the Dutch had Cannon.

With the founding of the Kong Miao in De Hague more funds poured into the nations coffers and could be releaed for other purposes.

With the new world secret revealed it will be interesting to see which nations settle and where. It would be a struggle for Hollande to make progress in New Hollande before the invention of Astronomy but all the same the existing claim flourishes and even has trade routes locally between New France and New Hollande.
                    Last edited by Diplo Holland; March 21, 2008, 09:31.
                    [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• The end of the Mali-Carpathia War and the Death of Mansa Mari I

OOC: sorry if this seems a bit hurried, but I haven't had the leisure to take my time over the story this time.

No reply was forthcoming to Mansa Mari's generous offer of peace. Facing advancing age, Mari was in no mood for long delays, and the reply had already taken more than a year to come back.

"Perhaps they drained the blood of our messengers?" offered Mari's chief of staff, Sambada Dumato, helpfully.

"What?" asked Mari "what nonsense is this? Why would the Carpathians drink Malinese blood?"

"Well, that is what the American travelers are saying in the local taverns" said Dumato "they are saying that the Carpathians are ruthless 'Bat-people', capable of changing shape and sucking the blood of the innocent."

"Phhht!" said the king "nothing but fairy stories and propaganda. No, it is far more likely that they impaled our messenger for some minor infraction."

Another 3 months passed, and another messenger was sent. When still no message arrived back, Mansa Mari had had enough. He called in General Mansa Musa, the Duke of Djenne and asked for an update from the Front Lines.

Mansa Musa strode into the throne room and said "noble liege, and uncle, I give you greeting" and raised his hand in the traditional Mali salute.

"Greetings, nephew, what news from the Front, is there any movement?"

"Yes sire. There are definite signs that troops are moving south from the Carpathian Capital. However, they have yet to reinforce the city of Ploiesti. I believe we have but a narrow window of opportunity to take this city and thus create a decent buffer."

"Very well," said the King "but for this battle I want you personally in charge. This attack must occur swiftly and without error."

"As you command, my King." said Musa, as he saluted and turned to leave the throne room

"May Ozzy and Legba go with you, my nephew." said the king, quietly, as he left the throne room.

OOC: I have taken liberties with the replay of combat-to make it seem more epic than it really was .

General Mansa Musa took stock of the forces at his command, and he was very happy. He had a large catapult contingent, several divisions in War Elephants, backed up by maces and axemen. All in all, he counted at least 100,000 men, siege weapons and war-beasts combined at his disposal. The forces arrayed in the city before him, however, were predicted to be almost as large.

His approach was simple. First he sent a contingent of maces and War Elephants to cut off obvious re-supply routes, then he began to pulverize the city's defenses with wave after wave of catapult

Once he felt the defenses were sufficiently softened, General Musa ordered the attack. The elephants charged into the lead with the Maces and Axemen not far behind

Yet in amongst the fray was Mansa Musa himself, his own contingent of Maces not far from his side.

Wherever the General appeared, the morale of the Malinese forces was boosted, and the enemy just seemed to melt away. He was seen killing bowmen, and Landesknecht with equal proficiency, and single-handedly destroyed a battery of catapults before they could be unleashed upon his troops.

Time and again, the Malinese forces advanced, and time and again they were repelled-but not without causing massive casualties to the enemy. Time and again Musa brought his siege engines back into the fray.

This titanic battle went for well over a month, but eventually, without hope of resupply, the Carpathian defenses were broken and the Mayor of the city-having no centralized command to give him orders-finally surrendered his city to the invaders.

In spite of the surrender, it took many more years to put down the local insurgencies and counter-offensives by forces of nearby towns and cities. In time, though, Mansa Musa finally put down all resistance and added it as a genuine conquest to the growing Malinese Empire.

He was relaxing in the town hall, finally enjoying his hard fought victory, when a communique arrived calling him back to Timbuktu. He read the communique with great sadness, for tragedy had struck the Mali once again.....

Comment

• (OOC - For timeline purposes, this occurred before last week's session)

After the turmoil of Benedict Arnold's reign, George Washington has ushered in a new era of hope, prosperity and freedom for the American people. The stunning victories against the Carpathians and expert foreign trades have boosted America's standing in the world considerably. Washington's charisma and stunning success have made him a beloved figure in America.

It was then, at the height of his power and popularity he made his most stunning decision yet - he resigned.

American kings were selected by the college of electors, but served life terms. Everyone widely expected and desired Washington to do the same. But, unlike the kings and emperors around the world and throughout history Washington did not desire power. He was a simple soldier who, when his country needed him the most, responded to the call. Now that the greatest peril of the Carpathian War was over and fortune was turning America’s way, he was content to retire to his farm and leave the country to others, his duty fulfilled.

Of all his great acts and accomplishments as general and commander-in-chief it is this act of selfless service that future generations will remember and honor the most.

Washington announced his decision to his cabinet and the college of electors (senate) so they could begin preparing for his succession. The decision was then announced to the public, but many couldn’t believe their beloved leader was stepping down. To calm them and set forth one final testament to his nation, Washington wrote a farewell address to be published and distributed through the land. Mongolian printing presses were used to create many copies.

FRIENDS AND FELLOW-CITIZENS:

The period for a new election of a commander, being not far distant, and as your thoughts must be employed designating the person, who is to be clothed with that important trust, it appears to me proper that I should now apprize you of the resolution I have formed, to decline being considered among the number of those out of whom a choice is to be made. I am influenced by no diminution of zeal for your future interest, no deficiency of grateful respect for your past kindness, but am supported by a full conviction that the step is compatible with both.

In the discharge of this trust, I will only say, that I have, with good intentions, contributed towards the organization and administration of the government the best exertions of which a very fallible judgment was capable. Not unconscious, in the outset, of the inferiority of my qualifications, experience in my own eyes, perhaps still more in the eyes of others, has strengthened the motives to diffidence of myself; and every day the increasing weight of years admonishes me more and more, that the shade of retirement is as necessary to me as it will be welcome. Satisfied, that, if any circumstances have given peculiar value to my services, they were temporary, I have the consolation to believe, that, while choice and prudence invite me to quit the political scene, patriotism does not forbid it.

I owe to my beloved country for the many honors it has conferred upon me; it is my sincerest hope that your union and brotherly affection may be perpetual; that the proud work of your hands, may be sacredly maintained; that its administration in every department may be stamped with wisdom and virtue; than, in fine, the happiness of the people of these States, under the auspices of liberty, may be made complete, by so careful a preservation and so prudent a use of this blessing, as will acquire to them the glory of recommending it to the applause, the affection, and adoption of every nation, which is yet a stranger to it.

Here, perhaps I ought to stop. But a solicitude for your welfare which cannot end but with my life, and the apprehension of danger, natural to that solicitude, urge me, on an occasion like the present, to offer to your solemn contemplation, and to recommend to your frequent review, some sentiments which are the result of much reflection, of no inconsiderable observation, and which appear to me all-important to the permanency of your felicity as a people.

The name of American, which belongs to you, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits, and political principles. You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together; and joint efforts, of common dangers, sufferings, and successes.

The spirit of political parties and allegiances, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of a perpetual individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty.

Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Observe good faith and justice towards all Nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all. Religion and Morality enjoin this conduct. It will be worthy of a free, enlightened, and, at no distant period, a great Nation, to give to mankind the magnanimous and too novel example of a people always guided by an exalted justice and benevolence.

In the execution of such a plan, nothing is more essential, than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular Nations, and passionate attachments for others, should be excluded; and that, in place of them, just and amicable feelings towards all should be cultivated. The Nation, which indulges towards another an habitual hatred, or an habitual fondness, is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable, when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur. Hence frequent collisions, obstinate, envenomed, and bloody contests. The Nation, prompted by ill-will and resentment, sometimes impels to war the Government, contrary to the best calculations of policy.

So likewise, a passionate attachment of one Nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favorite Nation, facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest, in cases where no real common interest exists, and infusing into one the enmities of the other, betrays the former into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter, without adequate inducement or justification. It leads also to concessions to the favorite Nation of privileges denied to others, which is apt doubly to injure the Nation making the concessions; by unnecessarily parting with what ought to have been retained; and by exciting jealousy, ill-will, and a disposition to retaliate, in the parties from whom equal privileges are withheld.

It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world; so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it; for let me not be understood as capable of patronizing infidelity to existing engagements. I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy.

Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest. But even our commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand; neither seeking nor granting exclusive favors or preferences.

In offering to you, my countrymen, these counsels of an old and affectionate friend, I dare not hope they will make the strong and lasting impression I could wish; that they will control the usual current of the passions, or prevent our nation from running the course, which has hitherto marked the destiny of nations. But, if I may even flatter myself, that they may be productive of some partial benefit, some occasional good; that they may now and then recur to moderate the fury of party spirit, to warn against the mischiefs of foreign intrigue, to guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism; this hope will be a full recompense for the solicitude for your welfare, by which they have been dictated.

With that, I bid my countrymen and my long history of public service farewell.
                        Last edited by Diplo America; March 21, 2008, 14:21.
                        Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

• Official announcement from Mongolia to America, Mali and Carpathia.

Your war has gone on long enough. In fact, we feel it is long over due for a peace treaty. A fair and balanced peace must be reached, or Mongolia cannot assure that its great host of Knight Riders will not be tempted to seek the spoils of war. Mongolia cannot accept a dismemberment of Carpathia. Core Carpathian lands must be returned. Provincial and peripheral provinces are of course reasonable demands as war reparations.

The Tribes have spoken.

Official announcement to Inca

Mongolia expects Inca to honor their deal with France and pay suitable reparations for their violations against French claims in the new world. It has come to our attention that Inca has acted in a dishonorable fashion towards France, and we believe this surely to be a bureaucratic error that will be solved shortly.

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

• A response to Mongolia.

This request about the recent Inca/French conflict will be taken under consideration and reviewed. Currently there are no diplomatic ties between Inca and Mongolia. After all Mongolia was the one who decided to close borders with us and cut all diplomatic missions. Seeing that you are willing again to start talks and discuss foreign matters we are more then happy to send our Incan ambassador and welcome your back to Cuzco. But you have to understand that due to the lack of any diplomatic relations currently it is very hard to respond to your request.

Inca

Comment

• (OOC - For timeline purposes, this occurred in the first 5-10 turns of last week's session)

Reluctantly the Senate gathered to select a successor. So great was Washington admired that on the first three ballots he was unanimously chosen. Each time he turned them down. Finally the electors began to think seriously about who could succeed the great Washington. The situation with Carpathia was still not satisfactorily resolved, the great nations of the world fought over land far over the seas, and America struggled to maintain for itself the progress it had recently seen. Who among them could keep this burgeoning power together?

Key candidates were Thomas Jefferson, Washington’s Secretary of State, John Adams, Washington’s Vice-Commander-in-Chief, and Alexander Hamilton, Washington’s Secretary of the Treasury. It was widely acknowledged that what America needed most at this point was a sure and proper economy. Hamilton was best suited for this, but the powerful Jefferson and Washington families despised the man and blocked all his chances. As he often did, George Washington broke with his family and was a strong friend and supporter of Hamilton’s. Had he stepped forward and spoken up during the deliberations the senate would no doubt have gone with his wishes, but Washington did not want to exert undue influence upon the process.

Several ballots more passed without a clear result. Finally, Adams, the former supporter of King Benedict Arnold, the traitor, was selected. He was selected with conditions however. He must appoint Thomas Jefferson as his Vice-Commander-in-Chief, and Alexander Hamilton should remain Secretary of the Treasury to ensure the economy continues to rebound. Like Hamilton (and unlike Jefferson), Adams favored a strong central government, but he sought, as best he could, to find a middle path between the strident views of Hamilton and Jefferson.

The first and most pressing issue facing the new administration was the Carpathian War. Multiple envoys have been sent and no word has been received. No envoys have returned either. American armies marched across all corners of Carpathian land unmolested and unhindered. The Carpathian army was in ruins, their government was in disarray, the Mali continued to advance from the south. There was little standing in the way of complete and utter defeat for Carpathia.

Little except the good will of America.

Commander Adams called a cabinet meeting to discuss the war.

Secretary of War, Andrew Jackson, was the first to speak, “This meeting is a waste of time. We have nothing to discuss. Our forces are strong; their forces are on the run. Just untie my hand so we may finish off our enemy.”

Secretary of State James Madison and Vice-Commander Thomas Jefferson both started to speak, but Madison deferred to Jefferson.

“Is the complete destruction of the Carpathians our ultimate objective? Years ago, this war was begun by Carpathian greed and aggression. We did our best to defend ourselves. And with the power of the Almighty and the skill of Washington we succeeded in defending our lands and freedom from foreign aggression. Now that is done. Our objective has been met. There is no need to continue to press this war further. To do so will make us the aggressor.”

“Aggressor?!” said Jackson, “Aggressor? This war was started by Carpathia. Without provocation they attacked and invaded the smallest, most backwards, weakest nation on the planet. They sought to bully us, take advantage of us, and destroy us. Through tremendous courage that tiny nation stood firm against superior arms and technology and beat them back. And then as we overcame tremendous odds to push back the invading armies, what do we do? We offer peace. Instead of pressing our advantage and trying to climb out of the cellar of this world, we magnanimously offer peace. What do they do? They rebuff us. They ignore our generosity. So the war continues. We meet with more success and again offer a generous peace. Again they ignore us. This dance continues for years. America at every step and every juncture offering peace with an enemy bent on our destruction and blinded to the realities of their situation. Unwise as this course of action may be, I have tremendous respect for Washington and his decision to offer Carpathia an honorable peace. But this... this unilateral disarming of our military when we have no assurances of peace from the enemy whatsoever is madness. Simply stopping to fight does not create peace.”

Madison then spoke up, “There is no one in Carpathia for us to negotiate. We offered peace many times in the past, but we had a Carpathian government with which to negotiate. Now their nation is in disarray. The tyrannical government of Vlad Tepes has been toppled and anarchy reigns. Fighting an entrenched and belligerent enemy bent on our destruction as we have for years is a just war. There is no honor in strangling an invalid in his sleep. The world will condemn us and seek retribution against us. The honorable thing to do, the just thing to do is to stand down now and await a proper Carpathian government with which to negotiate.”

Jefferson chimed in, “Remember, we are better than the vile Tepes. To strike a poor defenseless nation, as he did to us and to the Mali, is a detestable act. America is a nation guided by honor and justice. We must do what we think is right, not what is merely expedient.”

Adams then turned to Hamilton, “What say you, Secretary? You have been quiet.”

Hamilton rose and addressed his peers. “I despise the Carpathians for their greed and crimes against us. I despise them for their crimes against their own people. I would like nothing more than to finish them off once and for all so they may never again stab peaceful nations in the back.”

“But...” and at this point Hamilton’s voice grew quiet, “as much as it repulses me to say.. I must agree with Jefferson.”

Jefferson and Hamilton have had a long and contested history with each other. To hear Hamilton agree with Jefferson on a matter of policy was a surprise to all gathered.

“It is not for love of Carpathia, or for Jefferson,” Hamilton continued, “but we have gained much in this war thusfar. Continuing to press the war will stretch our economy and further tax our dwindling coffers. If America is to ever stand shoulder to shoulder with the great nations of Mongolia, Inca and Holland we must devote ourselves to improving our economy and our pursuit of science and technology. Further war merely delays us from these long term goals.”

“Certainly, we all want peace,” said Adams, “we have sought peace for decades under Washington. But have been ignored. If they themselves do not desire peace, why should we unilaterally stand down our armies? If they want war, then let us bring them war.”

“I care nothing of what Carpathia wants.” said Hamilton, “It is simply not in our interests to continue this war further. Our people grow restless. Important domestic needs are left unmet. Our people have seen uninterrupted war for generations. First against the Mali and now against Carpathia. It does us harm to continue it whether they wish it or not.”

Adams considered the advice of his cabinet long and silently. At last he spoke, “Very well. Hamilton’s council is wise. I have no interest in “letting Carpathia off the hook,” but Hamilton is right. We have more important matters to attend to. I shall agree to the withdrawal.”
                              Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

• Mongol internal Politics and development in the late Isolationist era.

The Isolationist era began after the defeat of the First Mongol Horde against Holland. Its direct consequences was a closing of borders with all other nations and a cancellation of any trade agreements. Mongolia still had many resources to offer, but chose to let French merchants negotiate on their behalf as Mongols were not allowed to travel to other nations or vice versa. Subsequently a period of economic Mercantilism was initiated, seeking to limit imports of foreign goods, and ideas. This resulted in a great industrial growth as Mongolia was now forced to be self-sufficient. It also led to scientific advances as I mentioned in the other lecture. An other consequence was a great political evolution. The mechanical revolution along with the massive influx of foreign labor greatly changed the late medieval political landscape. The wealthy warriors lost power to the Worker owning class, the artisans and Craftsmen of the tradesposts, mills and workshops. The electors to the Clansmoot and Tribesmoot increasingly ceased to be from the warrior class and representatives from other social levels gained access.

The warrior class nobility saw the need to influence the political system, lest they lose all power. They were firmly entrenched with the idea that any leader must have military skill and knowledge that currently only the wealthiest who had excess time and resources to expend possessed. The result was to establish military academies and training centers across the nation and enroll all men in schools and universities where military tactics were taught. This enabled them to keep a strong position in society regardless of elections, since they now owned and commanded the Universities where the new rulers were taught. The warrior class became gradually the class of knowledge.

The great master Katurai once explained, "I am a warrior, poet and teacher, for without poetry the acts of the warrior are not known, and without teaching his skills are lost. Only a path of balance can be true strength, for a warrior's strength is tied to the strength of his people and only by sharing the knowledge and teaching the skills is the tribe strong, and no warrior is strong enough to fight without brothers. I must also be a master of science, for without philosophy I cannot know what motivates men to fight, without rhetoric and poetry I cannot inspire this motivation, and without mathematics I cannot calculate the ballistics of siege weapons. A warrior must master knowledge to augment his mastery of weapons. This is the essence of Mongol warfare and life."

These Universities also taught other subjects, such as philosophy, music, erotic art and science. In these houses of learning, new ideas began to spread rapidly across the nation. Liberalism as an ideology was one such idea that gained particularly large followings. The result was near-revolutionary, the printing press, created to assist the Frankish scribes who had become the central part of the non-oral administration spurred a massive reading frenzy greatly increasing the knowledge and culture of Mongolian society. It also helped cover over the problems of religious dissidence that existed between the predominantly northern confucianist and the mainly southern christian tribes. It also enabled the common man to pay far closer attention to the affairs and doings of neighbouring nations. This would have dramatic consequences.

That's it for today, we'll pick up again after the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X