Diplogame HOTW XII Ragnarok - Story Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To France!

Consider all diplomatic ties broken Sir. How dare you come openly and critic our dealings with you. Inca wants nothing to do with your nation anymore.

Immediately all diplomatic ties will be cut with your puppet nation.

Considering how many friends and arrangements the Incas have
    Consider yourself not a friend anymore but an enemy Sir!

Good day!

Comment

• TO: The Incas

Well, I am most shocked by your response. Have we breached confidentiality? No, for the deal is widely known. (OCC: All tech trades must be revealed in the story thred, rember? I posted about this a long time ago. Also anyone looking at the foreign advisor screen could see it).

Had not my predecessor brought up the same subject in private meeting long ago? (OCC:chat)

We merely requested an explanation; you need not have even publicly posted it. Perhaps I would have even issued an apology if the reasoning was sound!
      Now I could not think of anything I would rather not do!

I say, how dare you admonish us for criticizing your failure to meet obligations with us! Are nations not to be held responsible for the treaties they sing? How easy and convenient it is for you to declare hostility towards us! How easy to brush aside the concerns of “unworthy” nations! How easy to drop the façade of openness, to reveal your true intentions! How easy to name one nation a puppet when one is the puppet master!

Indeed all one needs to do is consult their foreign advisor and the true motivation behind this outburst is plain to see.

In conclusion let me state that I harbor no ill will towards anyone, and neither does France. We see others may not be as enlightened.

A good day to you sir.

-Finis Valorum, Chief Minister of France
      In the name of Queen Nols the V. of France
      Last edited by Diplo France; March 7, 2008, 11:47.
      'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

• A complimentary table which summarized the above relations data

Comment

• Inca war elephants divisions suppoted by Inca maceman and catapults have been ordered to march immediately.

Inca war elephants were enormous animals; they could carry heavy cargoes and provided a useful means of transport. In battle, Incan war elephants were usually deployed in the centre of the line, where they could be useful to prevent a charge or start one of their own.

An elephant charge could reach about 30 km/h and unlike horse cavalry, could not be easily stopped by an infantry line setting spears. Its power was based on pure force: it would crash into an enemy line, trampling and swinging its tusks. Those men who were not crushed were at least knocked aside or forced back. Moreover, the terror elephants can inspire against an enemy unused to fighting them could cause him to break and run just on the charge's momentum alone. Horse cavalry were not safe either, because horses unaccustomed to the smell of elephants panicked easily. Inca elephants' thick hide make them extremely difficult to kill or neutralize in any way, and their sheer height and mass offered considerable protection for their riders.

Comment

• TO: The Incas

Originally posted by Diplo Inca
            Inca war elephants divisions suppoted by Inca maceman and catapults have been ordered to march immediately.
            In the interest of clarity, is this a declaration of war? And if such could you please specify the pretext. Save a demand for an explanation made by our side?

Comment

• OCC:
              Hmm… I suppose that instead of complaining about you altering the terms of the deal I should have spent my time praying that you do not alter it further. /Vader breathing/ /me looking all confused like Lando/

Comment

• Clovis had already returned from the battes of Utrecht, praised as the horse master of horsemasters.

Ginkel had just arrived, praised as the axe-killer of De Hague.

Huygens had never left Amsterdam. As the outward looking visonary he always looked beyond immediate issues.

"Welcome gentlemen!"

Ginkel embraced Huygens and Clovis. During the long war with Mongolia they had formed a tri-umvirate government. Some say a junta but Huygens described it as a war cabinet. These three made all decisions together. Other senators generally supported this during war time but were becoming anxious now.

"Clovis, how impressive was that dear Clovis!" said Ginkel.

"Indeed. De Dutch knights routed the Keshik attack with minimal losses. At least 5 Keshiks attacked de mine hill of Utrecht and 4 were immediately despatched. One Dutch knight followed de remaining Keshik into French territory and killed it in de jungles West of Tours - not a pretty site."

"What a debacle " mused Huygens.

"However, I have to say the French of Lyons were extremely unhelpfull. They insisted that no more troops were allowed through but our single knight, oblivious of orders continued to Lyons where..."

"He he, And De Hague was even better!" retorted Ginkel. "After several border skirmishes and a few pathetic sabotage attempts the Mongols advanced with a mighty army of... wait for it... Axemen!!"

Riotous laughter now.

"AND not one catapult! They advanced through the jungles South East of De Hague allowing our few catapult divisions to continue to weaken them. They retreated and were killed off by our Knights contingent."

Clovis had to take some credit here too, "And my sole Knight in Lyons killed off their one remaining Axeman fleeing through the jungles North West of Tours!"

"Well done gentlemen." Hugens was a little more measured and was keen to discuss matters abroad and the dark and aweful secret of New Hollande and the problem of the dual-natured religion. But he had to wait his time. He'd discuss this later. [ TAKE NOTE!! ]

"Thanks peacemonger!" said Clovis.

"Yes, thankyou Huygens." said the more cultured Ginkel.
                ---
                [OOC Over the next 12 hours there should be a considerable number of Hollande posts - keep an eye out ]
                ---
                Attached Files
                Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
                [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Back slapping was inevitable. At least this was a private and secret meeting. Most thought Ginkel was still in De Hague during the 10 periods of peace as negotiated with the Mongols after the war.

The self congratulations were cut short as a messenger from De Hague entered.

Huygens mood suddenly became grim as he read the communique. It spoke of a Mongol slight of hand. They had tricked the Dutch into peace for 10 periods and now marched West to the Ottoman city of Bursa. They were going to attack it and the Dutch could do nothing.

The Ottomans had declared war on the Mongols near the end of the war and most probably that's why the Mongols sued for peace. But this trick was clever strategy by the Mongols and Clovis in particular admired it! Remember he had horsemen roots in his family and some say he has Mongol in one of his bloodlines; French too. But more on that later.

The last part of the communique at least restored Huygens spirits. A young Knight noble had despatched, without full authority a contingent of knights on loan to the Ottomans. At this point the city of Bursa had already fallen and the Mongols were demanding Machinery technology from the Ottomans and they would return Bursa. But this was not even likely.

With Dutch Knights alongside the Otttoman army the Ottomans were in a stronger position to bargain and they got their city back for free as the Mongol troops fled back to their Turfan strong point.

Ginkel was furious that he was not part of this and it was clear he had left De Hague far too quickly.

Clovis could not help but smile...
                  Attached Files
                  [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Hmm... the transcript of peace negoatiations for Bursa.

[ to be read bottom to top of course ]
                    Attached Files
                    [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Re: Peace Negotiations

Originally posted by Diplo Inca
                      To King Mansa Mari I and Secretary of State William Manning, the Inca appreciate you entrusting us to host the peace negotiations. The city of Cuzco would be the right place to sit down and iron your differences. We both see you as friends (look the latest relation index), so this will allow us to be unbiased to both sides into finding a solution to the current conflict. Cuzco is a city of peace...
                      ----

TO: The Incan Foreign ministry

It has come to my attention that shipments of Ivory have stopped... our ancestors traded the rights to printing Alphabetized Bibles for... Incan Aesthetics... with permanent access to Ivory...

-Valorum Chief Minister of France
                      In the name of Queen Nols the V. of France
                      ---

To France!

Consider all diplomatic ties broken Sir. How dare you come openly and criticise our dealings with you. Inca wants nothing to do with your nation anymore.

Immediately all diplomatic ties will be cut with your puppet nation.

Consider yourself not a friend anymore but an enemy Sir!

Good day!
                      ---

Well, thoughts Huygens. I was considering going to Cuzco to observe de Western peace process and establish connections there, but this puzzles me. They are a totally different culture to us Hollanders so I need conside things.

Are they threatening to attack France with War Elephants?

Are the peace-loving war mongering Inca the best choice for negotiate a peace settlement with Mali and America?

Did they supply Ivory to Ottomans or Mongolia? Both have War Elephants.
                      [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Should we support France? They did what they were told by Mongolia, failed to stop one of our knights crossing the border and then get kicked in the guts.

Mongolia attacks us with full Open Border access through France and bullys France in to disallowing Dutch access through France.

And France is fully insulted now from Mongolia and Inca.

"So Clovis, what are our options?"

Huygens was so irritated by all this. He desperately wanted to get on with New Hollande plans and analysing the secret of New Hollande as handed down by the ozzy dual-natured idiot God.

"Huygens, I dream of a huge Frankish Empire."

"Hm I know you do, and?"

"Take out Western France, Tours Lyon at least. This creates a three pronged defence point against Mongolia and the cultured part of France in the East remains protected and ready for new Hollande explorations."

"Are you crazy? I thought you had French blood?"

"Blood indeed Huygens."

"And other options?"

"Bolster French defence with our own."
                        [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• Originally posted by Diplo Inca

This is both a miror of the past as it is a prediction for the future. Isn't it interesting how views change once you have an army of your own to bully others with?

Comment

• Just noticed the DP.
                            Last edited by Diplo France; March 8, 2008, 05:16.

Comment

• Excerpt from the National Epic of Mongolia, as translated by Johan von Utrecht.

I, Yogotë the Venerable, Clansman, formerly known as the Young, master of the eastern Plain, tell this tale, as it was witnessed by me. Others of great worth confirm my story by telling in the same way. Of great repute is the Swordmaster Layano, Suzuta the Horsecommander, and the clansmen of Turfan. All these tell the same story as I, with only variations of perspective.

It was a time of glory. We had grown strong and rich. We had been always victorious. We crushed barbarian armies like rotten fruit under our hooves. Our strength was unmatched by any nation. Tribute was given to us by the greatest and grandest. We were the Dragon of the East.

Then came the founder of our nation. Viktorgrip, the Inca prince. He changed our ways, but we saw that this was good, for the people flourished and we were happy. But he carried with him a deadly concoction. A deeprooted hatred against the Hollandics of the North. We had little care for these people, we knew them to be rich and strong, fair and laborous, though in their ingnorance they many times insulted Mongol. Many dreamed to plunder their vast riches, but the clans choose to stay their bows.

At the 67th Tribesmoot, at which I was present, the Clansmen of Turfan brought forth a complaint. Their pilgrims of Confutze were rebuffed from Hagueset border. Other troubles then arose. Viktorgrip the Mootsleader, chose those who hated the Hollandics the most to speak. Many of the clans believed the time right for them to pay for their past insults. (* note, literal translation: for paying us with old cheese)

I remember the faces of the young men who rode out. So many of them. An endless line of warriors, marching north. For weeks and months they marched. Thousands upon thousands. Our people were proud and strong. Keshiks, so swift that the south wind could not touch them. Axewielders so strong that they carried their heavy weapons like leaves on the wind. Maces and Crossbows, so armored that they sounded like a giant of Iron marching. And then there was the Elephants. Monsters. Demons from Inca. Lumbering hulks of flesh and bone, carrying bows and javelins.

We considered ourselves invincible. We marched into enemy lands. Few returned.

(for details on the battles, see the Dutch writings from the period by the triumvirate, the Mongol accounts do not paint a clear picture of the campaign)

I remember the riders who returned. Worn and darkened. Their spirits lost in the heat of battle, too furious to return. They rode like a train of dead. To tell their mothers and sisters and daughters of how their brothers, fathers, friends had perished. It is said that those who lived were the unlucky ones, for they must bear the shame and the weight of the nation.

Where is the Dragon now? It has foolishly fallen on the spear and now sleeps the slumber of the fevered wounded. I am old and will pass with the fires and winds to my brothers. I leave behind a land that I do not recognize, for though you who hear this are people of the plains, you are not what we once were.
                              e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
                              msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

• "So exactly how did this Mongol war start?"

Huygens was a bit of a dreamer at times but a few confusing thoughts were rattling around in his head.

Originally posted by Diplo Holland
                                It was the year 350BC.

Extraordinarily Willem de Hollande had passed away.
                                Some say it was heart break and the loss of King Remi II. Some say it was American poison.

In any event his daughter and heir Juliana hastily returned to Amsterdam. She had spent a wonderful time in Paris but regretted not being able to venture into Mongolia and had to pass on her apologies to the great Mongolian nation.

She had matured in her years now and was destined to be the last monarch of Hollande, for she would become the maker of the Dutch Republic. But for now...

She realised her father had lapsed in his Foreign Affairs since the banquishing of Verkerk (who was now in the Arctic colonies) and thus she began her own efforts at diplomacy, just as soon as her father was buried in the tomb of the great Mausoleum of Amsterdam.

Dutch culture thrived she mused. Such quantities of Marble and Stone. A new Town Hall was immediately commissioned for Amsterdam to utilise the excess marble.

In matters official:

Firstly all non Confucion nations would NOT be entitled to an Open Borders agreement with Hollande. Her father, riden with sorrow, had forgotten to cancel such agreements with the Carpathians and this will be her first act.

Secondly, Mongolia would be entitled to request an Open Borders agreement with Hollande as they were a strong Confucionist nation (if a little primitive) and deserved access to the holy city of De Hague.

Thirdly, and this is where the astuteness of Juliana lay, the Ottomans were the only non Confucionist nation allowed an Open Borders agreement with Hollande because she desired to influence the kings of Ottomans in a way to entice them to see the benefits of Confucionism over Christianity. If this failed they too would be banned from Open Borders but in the mean time more missinaries will spread their way to offer incentive.

She began the drafting of her thoughts regarding a Dutch Republic and continued the writing of her fathers diaries - such interesting reading indeed!

Hollande was maturing as a great commercial nation under her queenship.
                                He flicked through the manuscripts of the old Monarchy from a thousand years ago. The Mongols had declared war in the 4th century AD.

"So, after around 700 years the slightest slip of the tongue by Queen Juliana, "if a little primitive" was THE CAUSE OF THE WAR!"

He could not make sense of it. Other thoughts rattled around his head and from several sources he got the idea that the Inca were behind it - egging on the Mongols, giving military advise, assisting with sabotage events, appealing to the Mongol ego, even providing perhaps War Elephants, although unconfirmed; and the Ivory resource. But he suspected the Mongols may have that - but he wasn't sure.

Another piece of intelligence showed that the Inca and the Mongols had very high espionage points against the Dutch.

It is an alliance in disguise he thought to himself. I must not tell Clovis this.

Recent Inca threats on France showed what a bully the Inca are.

His respect for the Mongols was increased now. Their protection of France had to amount to something.

How extraordinary that the Mongols spared the major super power when they could have crushed them, yet destroyed their own armies in this war against their own religious kind - ON THE PRETEXT of Juliana's words!
                                [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

Working...
                                X