No announcement yet.

Diplogame HOTW XII Ragnarok - Story Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome back to our lectures on Mongolian history. My apologies for the loss of last week's lecture, but I got stuck at the airport in Paris on my way back from a guest lecture.

We have to make up for time lost, so I'm going to be brief. You should all have read about the Mongolian prophecy and its consequences. The Mongols believed some form of evil lurked in the land waiting to seize power. It has never been discovered exactly what this was supposed to be, one can only assume that it was a matter of some political rivalry and the losing party was then demonized, exiled and erased from Mongol stories so it would be as if he had never existed. Then in order to cement the power structures of the tribal leaders a foreign noble would be needed as a unifying symbol since they apparently lacked legitimacy to rule directly themselves.

Oddly enough this situation arose some hundred years before the Incan prince Viktorgrip was born. his birth must have come at a critical time for the Mongol tribal leaders as their lands grew larger and more unmanageable, for they demanded the Incas that the boy be exchanged for a Mongolian philosopher. When the Incas tarried, the Mongols became impatient and demanded the boy be handed over without any compensation. The Inca logically refused, which resulted in a situation that was only hours away from a fullscale Mongol invasion of Inca lands. At the last minute, Inca elders agreed to surrender the young boy and the horde assembled to invade returned home instead.

It is uncertain as to the political constellations and desires of the Mongol leaders, but they were apparently unprepared for the Incan prince's ability to adapt to and manipulate the political situation. Within few years of his arrival in the Mongolian heartland he had arranged for a system that divided power between the tribal leaders in a fashion of such brilliance that it's likeness has not been seen until modern times with the advent of written constitutions. It is truly a tribute to the Mongolian oral culture and its capabilities that they were able to implement such an advanced system without the aid of a Code of Laws! Instead, a highly elaborate system of honorifics and oaths of loyalty became its basis. A prelude to the Feudal ideals that arose shortly after.

The arrival of the Incan prince seems to have coincided with the construction of the Obsidian Pyramid. An amazing feat of Engineering rising like a black mountain out of the everflat riverplains with four Obelisks placed around it. This as well as the establihsment of the new ruling system resulted in a Mongolian golden age. Amazing wealth was amassed, Mongolias armies grew and great developments were made. Among other things the invention of the Stirrup. Which would have major consequences for the military development of the eastern lands.
    Last edited by Diplo Mongolia; February 19, 2008, 12:59.
    e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
    msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

• (mali, could you relax with the screens a bit? loading this page is like kicking my comp in the nuts)
      e-mail: diplo_mongolia [at] plomp.eu
      msn: diplo_mongolia [at] hotmail.com

“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” -Genghis Khan (allegedly)

Comment

• To Mali’s request for Help!

An Incan border patrol rushes hastily through the doors of the Cuzco council “The beacons of Mount Kilimanjaro! The beacons are lit! Mali calls for aid!

The Incan Elders: And Inca will answer! Assemble the Quechuas! Assemble the men at Machu Picchu, as many men as can be found. You have four days. On the fifth, we march for Mali… and war against the barbarians.

They were ready to help us when we needed them the most, now its our turn. We have to save Timbuktu.............
        Last edited by Diplo Inca; February 19, 2008, 22:41.

Comment

• The People of the Great Rivers were in a panic, it seemed that war would break out between the Incas and the Mongols, the word went out 'We need fighting men' and fighting men were trained instantly, a few cracks of the whip abd most of the slaves were quickly assembled in battalions of axemen and spearmen, the units believed to be most effective against potential Mongol invaders.
          However the danger passed with news of an agreement between the Incas and the Mongols.
          Sulamein the 8th learnt the lesson of the fright, be prepared, and therefore the scientists and the academy were ordered to develop different and modern methods of war. Machines were developed that could launch heavy rocks long distances, so that strong units and defences could be weakened sufficiently to allow attack by other units. The army learnt how to shoot arrows, and also how to ride elephants to war, the elephant riders are believed to have formed the most powerful attacking units present on the world at this time of all the civilizations. The current project has the scientists working on a much stronger and more powerful bow, it is believed units defending cities with these bows will be almost unbeatable, maybe for centuries to come. Our military has strengthened greatly since the scare of the potential Inca/Mongol war.
          Prince Constantine has been accused of siphoning off government funds to pay missionaries to spread the Christian religion, but noone is will to confront him face to face. However the Christian religion is now present in more cities than the official religion of Confucianism, so there remains considerable tension in the land over the religious issue. The aging King Sulamein has remained committed to Confucianism though.
          There has been several envoys travelling between the Inca and Ottoman nations, in particular focusing on the use of some small regions of unused land near our borders. Agreement has been reached where we will settle 2 more cities close to the Inca lands. In return we will remain friends and allies into the future, cooperating in many areas of life.

Comment

• My sincerest apologies Mongolia. I shall try & be a little less "enthusiastic" with my screen-posts in future.

King Mansa Sosso I.

Comment

• The Mali Chronicles 6: The Battle of Timbuktu & the Rise of the First Mansa Dynasty

Things looked grim for the people of Timbuktu. Chief Koboku was dead & their military were, for the most part, scattered to the four winds-leaving them defenseless in the face of a barbarian onslaught from South & East . The people of Timbuktu, however, were determined to triumph in the face of adversity.....

As if Ozzy himself answered their prayers, a hero arose from a quite unlikely quarter. The former Spymaster of Chief Koboku, Mansa Sosso, came forward saying he was willing to lead the Malinese people to victory against the barbarians. His obvious clan connections to the original Ruler of the Mali-Mansa Musa-made him an obvious choice in the eyes of the military, civilian & religious leaders of Timbuktu.

Sosso had a plan which he immediately put into action. First he sent scouts into the Yellow Hills to determine the location & arrival time of the barbarians from the East, as well as sending scouts into the Southern Desert to determine the location of the Philistines.

Whilst the scouts were gone, Sosso sent hundreds of people out to collect all the copper, iron & tin that they could get their hands on, no matter what the source.

He then gathered together the remnants of Samedi's Chosen & Koboku's elite Skirmisher regiment & got them to round up every fit & able young man they could find.

With this done, the "recruits" were put through a rigorous & almost vicious crash training course, often involving the use of real weapons in real fighting situations-training that lead to the death or injury of scores of young trainees.

In the meantime, all the copper, tin & iron that had been volunteered was melted down & fashioned into weapons. The weaponsmiths often worked, without rest, for 20 or more hours a day-& injuries were commonplace. The gambit, however, paid off-within only 4 days Mansa Sosso had a fully functioning axe & skirmisher division well & truly ready for battle.

Even better news reached the ears of Mansa Sosso from two quarters. First, messengers arrived from Djenne saying that a fully armed & operational sword division was on its way, & a similar message arrived from Houngoun Djati, who indicated that the Incan leadership had heard of Timbuktu's plight, & were sending troops to help.

Finally, though, the scouts arrived back from their respective missions. They indicated that they had successfully delayed both forces, causing them nearly a week of delays in their journey. Now, however, both forces were less than a day away from Timbuktu. Mansa, however, was ready for them.

His plan was simple, he would personally lead the skirmisher regiment to destroy the archers that had made a mockery of Mali pride-& rescue the bodies of the fallen in the process.

Meanwhile, the axe regiment-known as the "Blessed of Legba"-would go south to deal a mortal blow to the Philistines.

The people of Timbuktu waited anxiously for 48 hours for news of the respective battles, expecting to see the barbarian horde at their door at any moment. What they saw first, though, was the slightly depleted axe regiment marching home-chanting the Mali "Song of Victory" as they came. When they arrived, they regaled the crowd with stories of their victory against the Bronze Skinned monstrosities. Many of them bore the weapons & armour of their defeated foes.

24 hours later, they again heard the strains of the Mali "Song of Victory" coming over the air from the direction of the Yellow Hills. From a distance, the most keen-eyed residents of Timbuktu could see an undepleted Skirmisher regiment, bearing the severed heads of their foes on their Javelins. At their head came Mansa Sosso who-though seemingly bruised & bloodied, seemed to be in very good health.

The people could no longer contain themselves. They let out a great cry of happiness as their new Chief came into town. In the town square he stood & spoke to the adoring crowd.

"Friends, Timbuktuans, Countrymen. Today I bring victory from the jaws of defeat!" The crowd roared their approval.

"Also, after long consideration, I have decided that our people need an end to uncertainty. From this day forth shall begin the reign of the Mansa Dynasty. From today I & my heirs shall rule this land for all time!"

So it was that the First King-Mansa Sosso I-entered his new kingdom as a conquering hero, & took up his place in the soon to be refurbished Throne Room.....

Comment

• You think you could chill on reveiling information in screenshots?

Didn't we go over this already?
                YIM is CarpathiaCiv
                MSN is CarpathiaCiv
                Email is diplo_carpathia at plomp dot eu

Comment

• Yes I agree with Carpathia.

Inca are not pleased with how the Mali reveil information via their screenshots!

Comment

• Neither is France, didn't we point out how you can at least minimise the interface?
                    Last edited by Diplo France; February 20, 2008, 13:41.
                    'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

• "Captain Manning in the South..." Continued...

"Dixon, you will follow orders, I am not asking for your approval, I am telling you what we must do. We're here messing around in the Incan lands, and to what end?" Manning said "To look strong, to these, these people?!?"

Dixon knew Manning was normally much more calm than this, and suspected it was insincere, "Well sir, you are breaking a direct order from the Commander in Chief himself, so I don't think you're in a position to pull rank with me."

"I follow the orders of my Lord, Benedict Arnold of New York," Dixon was stunned, the soldiers did not react "Now, you will either follow my command or we will imprison you!"

Dixon knew Manning was serious, and here in the forests beyond even Incan borders he would probably be killed "Well sir, it seems I have no choice."

"Seems so." Manning replied.

Arnold Gathers Support in New York...

General Benedict Arnold gathered further support for his cause in the city of New York, he had never returned to Richmond after the embarassment he was given by Christopher; namely the fact that he stood ready to defend America when Christopher knew the Dutch had backed down from settlement on the American side of the bay. Christopher never told him what happened, and further didn't invite him to a feast in honor of the event. Arnold further detested Christopher over his wife Abigail, who Arnold wished to marry years before. All of this combined with a general idea that he could do a better job than Christopher and many others agreed. But Christopher had done much to create a loyal Senate, and Arnold realized he needed to gain control from the localized tribes. Philadelphia was too far, and he was a New Yorker after all.

He knew he had time before Manning returned from his trip south, so he kept his rhetoric simple and merely asked the armies garrisoned in New York for loyalty; this of course was easy as Arnold was a renowned General in his own right for his victories in the barbarian wars new New York and for his campaign that culminated with the founding of Philadelphia. In many ways Arnold was a perfect candidate to rule America, and certainly with more experience than Christopher, who seemed unable to quell the civil disorders in both Richmond and New York. Two mines were also lost on Christopher's watch, one to a Barbarian attack which was quickly beaten back, and the other to a structural disaster. These events were blamed squarely on Christopher and Arnold pointed out that had he not been sent to the Dutch frontier he could have personally prevented at least one of the accidents, and of course it was a jealous Christopher who sent him on the fruitless mission to begin with!

There was one more thing, one last detail, that would provide Arnold with what he wanted. And that was Christopher's death, Arnold knew if he was not involved he would be a sure thing to be the next Commander in Chief. He also knew that Christopher must die, and his son Augustine must not be named Commander in Chief. To do this he had to vilify Abigail and her family; the Washingtons.

The Golden Chalice.

In a very real sense Arnold was entirely right about Christopher, and had the American people seen the decadence that became of Christopher's court they may have overthrown him themselves. Despite the misuse of the American treasury Christopher was doing the best job he could, and had good intentions in everything he did, he was just a bad leader and reluctantly so. Word had yet to reach him that Manning's army was returning, so he was again holding a lavish feast with seemingly endless Carpathian beer (Dutch beer was on hold for the time) and meats of all varieties. Shellfish from Boston were being served in the royal banquets for the first time. Christopher prefered the wine above all, and unfortunately for him it would be his undoing. "A toast!" he said raising his chalice.

Everyone at the party stopped speaking and imitated their Commander. "Here is to a safe trip for Mr. Jonathan Jefferson and Captain William Manning, may they encounter no enemies on the way to France."

"Here here!" a nobleman from Philadelphia said, a supporter of Manning.

The wine was his wife's choice, as was customary for the couple "And of course to my enchanting wife Abigail, whose taste in wine as the finest in all of Terra! Cheers!"

"CHEERS!" everyone cried together, gulping large quantities of the wine and beer at the dinner. Christopher kept in good spirits with dinner parties, this constituted the biggest cost of the entire budget due mainly to the lavish imported items. Needless to say the American Empire was not gaining income, and the treasury was quickly dwindling. There were, of course, rampant disorder throughout New York and Virginia which also drained the American coffers.

Christopher gulped his wine similarly to his guests, and with that simple gesture the American civilization truly began...
                      Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diplo France
                        Neither is France, didn't we point out how you can at least minimise the interface?
                        OOC: If Mali decide to reveal deliberately I think that's fine - information leaks in varying ways in reality. Some of Mali's shots avoid intelligence; some display intelligence. I believe it is deliberate
                        Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
                        [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

• OOC: Holland is indeed correct. At times we have no need to reveal extraneous information, & so we remove the interface at those times. At other times however, to convey the story, we do find it necessary to keep the interface in play for the screenshot.
                          Nothing that was revealed in those screenshots is information that could really be used against the Mali. For instance, yes we were X turns away from getting monarchy-what difference does that make?
                          I am quite content with the degree of information that I am putting out. If the rest of you have a problem then "tough titty said the kitty but the milks still good!"

Comment

• To Mali

It is not the Mali information that bothers us coming from your stories, but the Incan. We feel that you are giving too much intel to others. And thus threatening Incan interests. Please do try to cut back on giving information about what technology we are researching. Continuing this will present a major obstacle to our relations in the future.

Inca

Comment

• OOC: Can we stop posting the entire photos please?

It stretches the screen and gives away information about other tribes. I'm also pretty sure we've ALREADY discussed this, so I'd appreciate it if it stopped completely.

So when you take a screen shot, you're going to have to go through the task of cutting it down so as not to reveal too much, or if you dont' want to cut too much out blur it somehow, but please don't post the whole wide shot.

Thanks.

EDIT: Not to mention it just looks bad.
                              Land of the free. Home of the brave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diplo America
                                OOC: Can we stop posting the entire photos please?

It stretches the screen and gives away information about other tribes. I'm also pretty sure we've ALREADY discussed this, so I'd appreciate it if it stopped completely.

So when you take a screen shot, you're going to have to go through the task of cutting it down so as not to reveal too much, or if you dont' want to cut too much out blur it somehow, but please don't post the whole wide shot.

Thanks.

EDIT: Not to mention it just looks bad.
                                OOC: Well, even on a laptop I don't get any display issues. And as I posted above I don't think we can tell a leader how to or not to reveal intell. If another civ gets upset about this I think that adds dynamism to the story tensions.
                                Dirk Ginkel of Huygens, Ginkel [RIP] & Clovis
                                [Trading Inc. 660AD]

Comment

Working...
                                X