Rah's saturday game IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deity Dude
    Sorry guys computer totally crashed. I'm on my son's now which unfirtunately can't play civ. Anyways this one looks real serious - I can't even reboot - it keeps telling me to insert insert system disk into drive A but my drive A doesn't work. Anyways maybe next week. Sounds like time foir a new computer.
    Sorry about your comp DD.

So does that mean you are going to be back with a real mean Civ IV churning machine.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• I'm awake and will be looking quite soon
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Away to bed, I am.

Comment

• I 'll check in around my midnight.

Comment

• Hmmm, no one around. Perhaps we will need to await the start of the unis again.

Comment

• people are gathering now. figuring about 30 minutes if you're still awake
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Guess not. G'night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hercules

Sorry about your comp DD.

So does that mean you are going to be back with a real mean Civ IV churning machine.
                  Hopefully. I just got a new computer but when trying to reinstall Civ I get a cyclical redundancy error when trying to load the data2.cab file. I called support and they basically told me that the disk was damaged and unless I had ALL, and I repeat ALL, of the original materials (box, manual, chart and disks) I would have to repurchase the game. (If I had everything they would only charge me $7.50)

What a ripoff!!!! Needless to say I am investigating other alternatives.

Comment

• That does seem a bit excessive.
                    I do assume you meant civ IV vanilla and not CIV I.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Yes. Actually if you reread it I didn't mean "civ I" it was 2 seperate words "....reinstall civ I got...."

Comment

• Which Civ had the CRC error? Vanilla?
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Civ IV vanilla.

This is the exact message.

Feature: DefaultFeature
                          Component: Civ4Component
                          File: D:\data2,cab
                          Error: Data error (Cyclic redundancy check)

Comment

• Is it scratched, or is it fairly pristine?

CRC errors can either mean that it failed to read the data because of a scratch/physical damage, or it could be due to driver issues on the CD-ROM. On a new sometimes the latter is common (for whatever reason).

If it's scratched, only option will be getting you a new disk (as likely that's the issue). If it's pristine, possibly changing your CDRom driver will fix it.

Comment

• Hmm, first try installing in 'safe mode'. That seems to fix the problem for a lot of people (i'm guessing it corrects for a driver issue).

Start up computer
                              Hit F8 when it finishes with the BIOS and right as it gets to the black windows screen
                              Choose 'safe mode' (any) from the prompt
                              It'll boot into a tiny desktop with lousy colors.

Install

Reboot normally

If that doesn't work, try copying the contents of the disc onto the hard drive in a single folder (create a folder somewhere, open up a new My Computer window, right click CD drive, select 'open', then drag the entire contents of the CD drive's folder into the new folder; then run setup.exe from that folder).

Comment

• Thanks Snoopy. Tried both of those and neither worked. I'm pretty sure it is probably a disk issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X