Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

Hi, do you guys know if it is possible to start a game online with people and then at a later time switch that game from the online over the internet to an email syle game? the same people would be involved in the game.

thanks,

sparky

Hmm, maybe with Pitboss, not real sure though.
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

Yea i think Pitboss can handle that.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

As far as I know you may not switch from online to PBEM or PBEM to online but of course I have never tested it myself to be absolutely sure about it.

However you may use PitBoss to switch from online to offline mode back and forth at will meaning that you will be able all meet online and play at the same time and then go offline and each play at his own time, turn by turn in a similar way as PBEM. Then meet again online and play and so forth.

The only drawback is that you have to have a dedicated computer running PitBoss all the time and that is always connected to the Internet.

Comment

There is a utility called saveconvert available that allows you to switch multiplayer game types once a game has begun. It's very easy to use. If you wish to do this there is no reason to use pitboss... you can start a normal DirectIP game, or even via the lobby if you wish. That does not preclude you from using Pitboss.

You can find the utility at the following link:
          I decided to start a new thread since the tool has changed quite a bit from the original tool for playing scenarios in hotseat. Original thread is here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153759 Since 1.61 you no longer need to use this tool to play scenarios in hotseat or pbem...

Comment

Actually, the game natively allows you to switch to PBEM from MP, from what I recall, but possibly not the other way around. PTBS would load a multiplayer game fine with absolutely no problems, as far as I know, as it's just MP with a bit longer lag time between turns.

Assuming i recall correctly, just load the MP save in PBEM, and it will be converted automatically. But like I said, I think it will not go the other way around. Be careful when you do this, and even when you use saveconvert; there are some substantial differences in how the turn order is run in, particularly the time in the turn in which things occur is actually different between PBEM and simultaneous turn MP/PTBS.

There are many reasons to use pitboss by the way
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

cool, thanks guys!

sparky

Comment

I haven't tested all situations but from my understanding(atleast during discussions during the beta test) all MP saves are convertable to any MP style game(pbem, pitboss, realtime MP etc) If this can be proven to be wrong let me know and I'll talk to the dev's and query what the status quo really should be.

CS
                Global Admin/Owner
                Civilization Players Leagues
                www.civplayers.com
                http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Working...
                X