Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LOL

Originally posted by The Capo
    I like how Deity (notoriously known for his long terms in HOTW2) left the caption "Waiting for YOU to finish turn..." in his image.
    No OOC here please!!

A note from me OOC- I reckon we are trying to play too fast and racing to press the Enter key. I think we should slow down a bit and allow the diplomatic dialogs to flourish and enjoy the sumptuous graphics and sounds. I leave all my graphic effects turned on, allowing zoom in on my attacking turns etc. I guess you all do this? It's the whole enjoyment of the game.

Being simul it runs a hell of a lot faster than turn-based and we are flying through the game - 1005AD in two short sessions!

I've got auto-saves turned off which seems to speed things up at my end; and full screen is definitely faster than windowed mode.
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

I agree Deity. Many's the time I have been in deep discussion with my Russian friends (at least, I THINK they are my friends) only to feel like we can't chat for long-as everyone is waiting to start their next turn . I would love to have more time for deep dialogue-and to grab a coffee when I need it ! Also, I would love to know what kept happening to, was it Xia? I think he dropped out on us twice in the same session.

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

-ooc

Im thinking we played too large of a map. In a SP game, the world would be full by now, at least the old world, and we arent' even half way there. The "interaction" is stunted when everyone can peacefully expand without many concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
          I agree Deity. Many's the time I have been in deep discussion with my Russian friends (at least, I THINK they are my friends) only to feel like we can't chat for long-as everyone is waiting to start their next turn . I would love to have more time for deep dialogue-and to grab a coffee when I need it ! Also, I would love to know what kept happening to, was it Xia? I think he dropped out on us twice in the same session.

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.
          Hey, good one

BTW, I'm Xia. I dropped a few times when we tried to trade maps. I've got a good comp but I'm going to Computer Fair tomorrow morning to get upgreade parts - new graphics card, sound card, more ram; and over Xmas I'll probably upgrade to an Athlon64.

Not sure if this is the prob. Telstra is my ISP and they do things in a strange way. I'm meant to have a static IP and it's not set up in my network connection but my browser reports the correct static IP!! Froiggin Telstra, I'm sure they are at the bottom of the few issues I've had.

I'm also going to look at putting my Civ4 comp into the DMZ (outside my home LAN)
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Johnson
            -ooc

Im thinking we played too large of a map. In a SP game, the world would be full by now, at least the old world, and we arent' even half way there. The "interaction" is stunted when everyone can peacefully expand without many concerns.
            I disagree. I think it's most appropriate that the Americas are still not settled in 1005AD (presumably?)

And I've had plenty of concerns! Lost at least one well defended city..
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

You've got war already and still no posts?!
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ozzy, these island dwellers just don't know how to fight barbarians that's all.

Also, about my previous comments, I mean I can still comfortably expand in the old world considering the new game mechanics the new world might not be needed at all.

Comment

OOC - Yea, this is definitely a builder game. No real conflict, or need for conflict. Hmmm.... That's not good. The map size could be good if we had more players (and if India wasn't AI and could expand decently).

The issue with the game though is India is AI, so didn't expand much. Deity pretty much wrote off Asia, and only put two cities on the mainland and put the rest of his effort towards Australia. And the Mali only founded like 3-4 cities.

Even so, another player would be really good. Or perhaps we could relax the city maintenance in future games to allow more expansion.

Anyways, here is the map:
                  Attached Files
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    OOC - Yea, this is definitely a builder game. No real conflict, or need for conflict. Hmmm.... That's not good. The map size could be good if we had more players (and if India wasn't AI and could expand decently).

The issue with the game though is India is AI, so didn't expand much. Deity pretty much wrote off Asia, and only put two cities on the mainland and put the rest of his effort towards Australia. And the Mali only founded like 3-4 cities.

Even so, another player would be really good. Or perhaps we could relax the city maintenance in future games to allow more expansion.

Anyways, here is the map:
                    Thanks for the map ozzy.

Yeah, once we played this game out we'll know what to do to refine the settings for a more balanced diplo game. Mind you, this is still quite a legitimate game.

Also, Civ4 games will finish much more quickly than Civ2 games so with all of us still learning it (especially me!!) we may as well play it out.
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Border Province in Open Revolt, Army Deployed to Crush Rebels 1350 AD

"So you'd like to know more about the Amur? Long ago the Amur was a forgoten region. Lost between the mountains of Lena and the Sea of Japan it was roamed only by barbarians. The Japanese long traveled its shores, but ignored the interior, we as well, for many years sought other frontiers and Lena was the last civilized post until the sea."

"But, Honored Scribe, how is that both Japanese and Mongolians came in live in the Amur?"

"Ah, that's a good question. The Mongolian Emperor desided that the fertile vallies between Lena and the sea would make for a good trading post with enough fields for argiculture and lumber for construction. Ironicly he couldn't have been more correct in this assumption. The Japanese traveled up the river into the valley and before anyone realized it the small town was a multicultural hub!"

"But Sir, why did the people revolt in the Amur?"

"Ah, well you see, Japanese and Mongolian cultures have lived along side for centuries, but never in this close of a proxmity. Once the boats from Japan docked at the coast, it was no more than a few days before they arrived in the Amur Valley. Comparitively the Emperor of the Plains seemed a distant authority."

"But, weren't the people charmed by vile Japanese Sirens?"

"Bah! My boy that is propaganda pure and simple! For sure, they were there but it was a friendly arrangment until the empire cracked down on it. An old man like myself could appricate a few pretty faces and cute voices out here on the frontier. I can still remember the song, it was something like "Ai****ene Motto" or something like that, it was just over and over again. I think it was something suggestive. Then there were the youngins with their wood block prints. I never did understand the manga, but it was promoting literacy in this backwards place and it came in Mongolian and Japanese."

"So the Emperor wasn't pleased with those events?"

"No Sir, the Emperor is not such a man! He might not have understood it all, but he didn't make a move until the people stopped paying there taxes. When the tribute didn't come in from the local government a garrision from the forbidden palace was dispatched. Rumors had spread that they were here to evict the Japanese, and some violence broke out. One thing lead to another, and its like what you see today. The a full bridage of Imperial Soldiers, with the plains rifle brigade about to be deployed in their first action. Yes, indeed its a sad state of affairs, there's more soldiers in this town than people anymore, but that as they say, is that."

Comment

OOC: Find and Replace Japanese with Xianbe!!

Last edited by deity; December 16, 2005, 01:26.
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Circa: 100BC to AD 1005 (Second session)

---

"Xia" gently guided the Xianbe as a soft breeze... permeating the crevices and recesses of their minds, their hearts and their souls.

The over-crowded island homeland was strectched and these sparks of imagination saw the building of vessels larger than fishing boats, which did set forth with settlers on board. One ship sailed North Easterly and another due South. This ship sailed switfly and did quickly found a new village called "Darxia" on another island, much larger than the homeland.

It was believed that a vast ancient landmass also lay to the far East but try as they may, the other ship found no passage to it.

During this Arctic voyage an emmissary arrived in Xia City. It was a representaive of a great empire far away who did offer gifts and encouraged our settlement of "China".

The Arctic settlers found their way back past Xianbe island to China and did build a new village called "Xia China" and did swiftly set about working the surrounding lands.

New settlers ventured South over land to also found Xia Ind2, for the original Xia Ind settlement did get ravaged and razed by barabarian louts.

During this time the new friends of the Xianbe, the Mongolians, did share boundaries with the Xianbe and years of peace ensued.

Their establishment of Samarquand between Xianbe's two Chinese cities did cause some consternation back in Xia City where the gentle volcanic breeze caressed all fears from their minds... years of cooperation and peace did follow.

In any event, the Xianbe had other plans about further settlements - for the first time military units were amassing in Darxia to attack the barbarian louts in Avar...
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                          X