MP with slow modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP with slow modem?

I've asked around and experimented, and I'm still trying to find out if this is possible. I once managed to attempt to join a game (most times it froze in the chat room, but I understand this is a more general issue), and it eventually told me the connection timed out. So, is it hopeless? If not, any tips how to proceed?

Not going to happen. there are people with DSL who are lagging out.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I would guess it's hopeless. I've been stuck on a modem for years and since the late 90s few if any games are playable. It's not that it is not technically possible for most games to work but developers just don't care since so many people have broadband now. For a good example look at the quake series. Q1 works fine on 28k modem, Q2 works ok too if a bit worse, Q3 is unplayable on anything but an almost perfect 56k connection, Q4 requires 128k upload to work flawlessly(which even some cable users don't have).
      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I play with a 56k modem with no problems. The largest game I've played is with 3 human players. Everything worked fine.

Comment

Some mixed messages here.

If it is not my modem, any idea what is causing the connection timed out error? My modem connection is significantly slower than 56k though so I may still be out of luck.

Comment

Working...
          X