Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deity
    This is NOT a diplo game rule.

As soon as Firaxis sort out these problems I'll resume using passwords. It is my choice and not subject to any debate.

Your aggression on this matter is most disappointing and very unlike you to confuse issues like this.
    Your militant support of passwords despite the fact they have nerfed multiple games so far is what surprizes me.

Why are you so insistant to put on a password?

A. You seriously believe the diplogaming community is full of cheats who will sabatoge your civ the first chance they get.

B. You'd rather see an entire session canceled than us find a sub for you if you're unexpectedly gone.

Passwords are fine for random pick up games online, that you may or may not want to continue. But in epic games like this that last for months and have all sorts of subs and player switches, using passwords could doom this entire genre. With the number of times we had to hack out passwords to keep Civ2 diplogames going, if we had to just cancel those games or let a civ go AI then we would have been screwed.

Its only been a little over a month and look at all the problems we've had with passwords.

How many more messed up games is it going to take before you figure it out?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I actually do agree Ozzy-I truly want to believe-with solid justification-that those of us who play Diplo games are doing so for the very REASON that they are more interested in a more non-competitive, Role-play form of Multiplayer game. I confess that I did put a password on my game but if I could remove it I would! Still hope the Saturday night people will come around to my way of thinking, though, and consider starting a new game (after all, unlike the Friday night people, we have not done any restarts!)

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP

Your militant support of passwords despite the fact they have nerfed multiple games so far is what surprizes me.

Why are you so insistant to put on a password?

A. You seriously believe the diplogaming community is full of cheats who will sabatoge your civ the first chance they get.

B. You'd rather see an entire session canceled than us find a sub for you if you're unexpectedly gone.

Passwords are fine for random pick up games online, that you may or may not want to continue. But in epic games like this that last for months and have all sorts of subs and player switches, using passwords could doom this entire genre. With the number of times we had to hack out passwords to keep Civ2 diplogames going, if we had to just cancel those games or let a civ go AI then we would have been screwed.

Its only been a little over a month and look at all the problems we've had with passwords.

How many more messed up games is it going to take before you figure it out?
        I am quietly asserting a right.

It's amazing how you are now sounding like the oppressor, using political language and mixing issues with inuendo.

I've never missed a game session in about 5 years and if I did I'd have my tracks covered so that a sub would know the password. Plus I have a few phone numbers in case of a blackout or something.

This latest issue is Firaxis fault and that's where you annoyance should be directed.
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• For years many Civ2 players, including Ming and Rah, have posted about the need for uncrackable passwords in Civ games. It was added to the wish list for Civ3 and Civ4 and it looked like it had been addressed (overly so!). Of course most of these players want to trust everyone they play with but you can never be certain. There is only one way to be certain and the technology should work for it to be done properly.
          "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• This Friday is bad for me. My wife hasnt yet told me if Fridays in general are good.

Comment

• Uh, lest we forget....

We have a game to play on Friday/Saturday, and I don't think we've even made sure that will go on correctly!

Why in the hell are we even arguing about this right now?

We need either (a) a clean save from the game with everyone's Civ program in its original form, or (b) some amazing solution to our current problem.

I don't think (b) is going to happen.

So let's make sure EVERYONE knows, including people who haven't posted recently (in character and out of character) who should also be notified on what we are doing. Not to mention we need to make sure we have two subs who have their things set properly, or are even WILLING to set them up the way we need them to.

So, I'm sorry guys, but the last thing we have to worry about are the merits of passwords in diplogames.

Peace.
              "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Scroll up Capo, i was working on netting us some subs. You should do the same.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• i agree with ozzy, no need for passwords.. how am i meant to check out everyone elses civs if hey are password protected..
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Raz!! We NEED you!!! Come back to us!!

Comment

• got a problem right now. my laptop has crashed and it has my CD stuck in the drive , once fixed i will make my self avaialable.

as long as people realise that my skill level is not as high as it should be as i play for fun and dont study what is the optimum way to play.

Comment

• That'd be perfect. Yay! Raz is back!

Fix that darn computer.

Can you play on this USA Friday night?

If so, you'll be taking over for the Mongols. And please let us know soon so we can rally the troops and make sure we actually get a session off this week.

Also, get up to speed in the story thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=144217
                        Last edited by OzzyKP; January 9, 2006, 00:25.

Comment

• hold your horses..

i wont know when it wil lb efixed till i know wha tis wrong with it. but i think i can concoisely say no to this week..

in the meantime tell me how to chop more weffectively...

Comment

• The Friday Night Diplogame

Its good to see that Rasputin may be joining our game soon, but we still have to make sure everyone else is going to be available.

I think we can count on Moker (Russia) to be around because he's online all the time anyway. Deity (Azande) and Ozzy (India) are always there, I'm going to be there (Rome), so we still have to worry about Mike (Japan).

Now, some things were said about Mike in our chat this past (attempted) session. What I'm trying to do right now is get Mike to confirm that he will play in this week's game.

To him this may seem drastic, but we need to fix this game up, and if you are going to be inconsistent we don't want you around. The game has hurt enough, and that isn't directed at Mike its directed at everyone in the game. We already have an empty throne in Mongolia, and that has been the case since 77 left, let's not let Japan get into the same situation.

So what I am asking for is confirmation from Mike, and I guess the rest of the crew that they will play in this game, that they will post, and that they will show up every Friday on-time.

That's about it, that's all we need to do.

Oh yeah! Are we sure that the save is going to work and everything? Do I have to re-install the game?
                            "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Well...

Well, so far nobody has responded to my post.

This means I assume we are NOT playing this Friday, and will (consequently) not be there.

I will check the forums between now and then, but I'm certainly not going to sit around for another two hours wondering whether or not we are playing.

So, if ANYONE wants to try and answer these questions or at least mention if they are playing that would be excellent.

Peace.

One Love.

Comment

• I'll be there. Try sending a PM to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X