No announcement yet.

I am trying to bring back Diplogames...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We work to restore balance in the game. All of us do. Remember in HOTW2 how the first two or three sessions Raz's civ was AI? It might have happened in HOTW4 too. But people chipped in and gave settlers and tech to him to help him get on his feet again.

If anyone was seriously stunted we could do that as well.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• But we're missing the OBJECT of the game...

The object of the game is diplomacy.

That's what we're doing. Whatever resources are provided are what you get. Ozzy is doing a difficult job; he's providing basic resources to your tribes, thing's you need to feed your population so that they grow. He's also giving us specialty resources and providing us with strategic resources to help us develop our civilizations.

If the traits of the character aren't ones you'd like we can change those, but we are certainly not going to try and match everybody's characteristics/starting locations up for any type of purpose other than their historic starting locations (or at least the general area). Its not going to be that important because Ozzy is giving us pretty solid resources to begin with anyway.

I mean, what exactly do you want him to do? We're playing on an Earth map, and playing as real civilizations that existed on the Earth. The resources have to match as well, that's key to this type of game.

As far as what tribes we choose; we're trying to place our tribes out evenly to enhance the game and limit the opportunities tribes have at being marginalized as well as place tribes in a close enough vacinity to allow for early contact, thus early diplomacy.

The idea here is to develop living attitudes between the nations of the game, and allow for numbering alliances and agreements throughout the ages of civilization. Believe me, if its done right it will be pretty cool. HOTW2 was a really great example of how the diplomacy and storyline aspect of the game goes, we report on and discuss the game between the sessions; what it leaves you with is an in depth look at what your tribes are able to accomplish in comparison with others.

I don't know, that's what I think the point is. So I personally don't think the starting locations are important, and as for the traits; I'm pretty sure that can be changed to the preference of the individual players.

So if that's the issue I wouldn't mind players choosing their own preferences for traits.

Thoughts?
      "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• I don't like the idea of chosing traits.

It would take the variety out of the game since people would probably pick the same couple traits.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Hmm...

Well, I would agree with you on that Ozzy, but I think there are at least a couple of people who may feel slighted if we didn't allow them to choose their traits. Some of the tribes (i.e. Russians, Mali) may be mandatory, so in those cases I would think that we'd allow a little bit of modification.

Which I think provides us with another issue; which tribes will be in which game?

I have an idea for this as well; I think if each tribe started out with two settlers (if it is possible to edit this) it may help us to use the Japanese. By that I mean we give the Japanese a settler on Japan and one in Korea, for the other tribes we either place a second settler in a close vacinity, or have them appear with the other settler; this way we can have a different tribe (Japan) in the game and add in another potential trait set.

Just a thought.
          "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

• Considering we have never done a single Civ4 diplogame, I think we should give it a shot a few times as is before we mod it to death.

Comment

• CAPO.... 77 is going to be Greek both Friday/Saturday games, if available.

If that civ aint available send me a msg and I will choose a new civ I am not adament about any civ really, except that I am trying to master the greeks.

Comment

• Well in the Friday game, Capo is going to be Rome. Rome and Greece are too close to each other on this map, so you cannot be Greece.

In the Saturday game, possibly. Work it out with the folks on Saturday.

Perhaps, since the civ chosing is becoming an issue, we can do a different system for each game. Capo and I want to just go on with the system we've had of first come first serve and then assigning people based on space. The Saturday game can do something more democratic if they wish. But its not really my issue anymore. Perhaps we should divide up? Use the other thread capo started for the Friday game, and keep this one for Saturday?

btw, the patch is out. Are we up for starting this weekend?

Comment

• See below, double posted
                  Last edited by Seventy7Ways; November 23, 2005, 23:59.

Comment

• Ok, I see your point Ozzy....I want the same civ for both games however, so can I be the Persians or Egypt?

Comment

• Hey, good news people. Patch v. 1.09 has just been released, and is available for download-info is available at CFC, but should also be at civ4.com. Looks like the Friday/Saturday games are a goer after all !

Yours,
                      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seventy7Ways Ok, I see your point Ozzy....I want the same civ for both games however, so can I be the Persians or Egypt?
                        Well for the Friday night game Capo is Rome and I am India. So Egypt *might* work if we have like 7 players, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case so probably not. Mali I believe is open for both games.

Personally I'd recommend against picking the same civ, you might get the two games confused, heh. But its your call.

btw, comments on the Friday game should be directed here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=143741

Thanks.

I'm gonna try assembling the troops for Friday in hopes everyone can make it. We need to pick civs quick so I can make the map and we can get started.

Comment

• ummm like can we use an instant msg program so that we can easily find people involved in the game?

Comment

• My AIM is lazerkp, its in my profile.

Comment

• ok i going to psot here as most of you in here are my usual palymates, so rather than posting in a gnereal thread wil ljust do it here.

i bought hte game and fired it up.

it is so different. i found myslef completely lost as to what to build or what was efective or not.

i chose the basic level of settler and only 4 civs on a hufge wolrd to give me time to learn, i soon realised i am going t ohave to turn barbarians off too., they just keep coming and soon they are stronger than my strongest unit.

i notice that growth of citys in number and size is very much lower than before , cant seem to get as many citys

i soon was into the early centuries AD but was still in failry backward times of development as far as units go.

are you guys inot the hardest level already?

what government shouls i be choosing, does having more than one religion have a negative impact.

i was ewell ahead tech wise and so got all the religions first and they set up all over my nation

any hint s antips guys..

i wl lcheck in again next week....
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Hi Raz... read the stickied Strateghy thread.

One important thing is to use workers to chop forests to build settlers and other things quickly as you can't rush buy until Democracy.

Can you play this weekend in the diplos? A good way to learn Civ4.
                                "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                                X