Multiplayer Connectivity Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer Connectivity Woes

Hi. =) One of my problems is that I can only stay in the gamespy main chat room for about 20 seconds, and then civ crashes to the desktop. This shows up in a log file (looks like you get a new one for each session) as:

[1437.056] DBG: Resetting the portal! (m_bConnectComplete=false)
    [1444.847] DBG: Resetting the portal! (m_bConnectComplete=false)
    [1445.097] WRN: Disconnecting from entire Peer Network!

Any thoughts? I can join a game (if I'm really fast about it), but have only been able to play for a few turns before I get a message box saying that all of the other players have been disconnected, and if I want to wait for them, etc. Now - I assume that this means that -I- lost connection to them, but I suppose it could be that the host just quits? In game, I talked to people and they also had problems playing and staying connected in the main chat room. What's going on here? Is it just GameSpy?

My worst problem was when I tried to join a game, and then it came back and said that the game was full. Okay, fair enough - I had tried to join and then the game filled up first. But - hold on! Spock kept on talking and the message box wouldn't close and I couldn't click on anything. And in fact, I couldn't Ctrl-Alt-Del, or -anything- . Eventually I realized that although I was getting the sound from civ and could only see a non-functional civ screen, that my commands were actually working on my desktop. With a few keystrokes I was able to turn off the computer. Okay, no hard feelings, right? Except that the first 4 boots my computer hung on detecting the IDE drives (ouch), and couldn't even get into the bios. Well, on the 5th hard boot, everything was fine.

Now, I'm not blaming that last bit on Civ - but I would like to be able to play more than a few turns... I guess I'll keep trying...

Also, I thought I would be really smart and simply load gamespy and find a game and launch civ that way. Only - Civ IV isn't available through the main GS program (yet?)
    Caelicola

No one responded, but... I have figured out that if I play in windowed mode that I will be able to stay connected to multiplayer games! Now, single-player works fine for hours fullscreen - but not multiplayer? Now that's just odd - I still get kicked off of the gamespy chat though.

Unfortunately I can't stand scrolling in a window. You can't put the mouse to the edges of the screen (I can't anyway), and so you're left with very rudimentary tools: arrow keys, using the minimap, or clicking repeatedly to get to where you want to go. Not cool... but maybe they had some issues with detecting mouse movement outside of the game window (though I've seen it done very well).

Hopefully this will help someone.

The only redeeming factor?
    FullScreen = ask
    Caelicola

Comment

I had the same problem, but it went away if I set my router to put me in the DMZ. A pain for sure and I have to remember to set it back as soon as I'm done.

Comment

Working...
      X