Connection Timeout Issues in Gamespy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection Timeout Issues in Gamespy?

I can probably only connect to maybe 1 out of every 8 MP games that I try and play through Gamespy. I'm constantly getting "Connection timeout" issues when connecting to the host.

I'll also often have the computer be stuck on "Connecting to Peer" for awhile as well, and then it will dump me back to the lobby with no explanation.

What gives? Anyone else seeing similar behavior and have any ideas on how to resolve this?
    First Civ3DG: 3rd and 4th Term Minister of Public Works. | Second Civ3DG: First Term Vice President | ISDG: Ambassador in the Foreign Affairs Ministry | Save Apolyton! Kill the Off-Topic Forum!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
    The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)

I've only played one very short session using direct IP connection to a host. The only time we had issues like that is when one player tried to join who had a minimum spec comp.

I tried an Athlon 1800, 512 ram, 64 meg graphics with Win XP2 and it sucked with a few display issues.

I then installed it on an Athlon 2400, 768 ram, 128 meg graphics with Win XP2 and I joined my first MP game that had 4 other players. It was faultless. Fast as Civ 2 MP.

The only thing that was slow was my brain trying to learn it all before I'd even played a bit of SP!
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity
      I've only played one very short session using direct IP connection to a host. The only time we had issues like that is when one player tried to join who had a minimum spec comp.

I tried an Athlon 1800, 512 ram, 64 meg graphics with Win XP2 and it sucked with a few display issues.

I then installed it on an Athlon 2400, 768 ram, 128 meg graphics with Win XP2 and I joined my first MP game that had 4 other players. It was faultless. Fast as Civ 2 MP.

The only thing that was slow was my brain trying to learn it all before I'd even played a bit of SP!
      Yeah, the minimum specs aren't a problem with me.
      AMD XP 2800
      1GB RAM
      Radeon 9700 Pro (128mb)

No problems with the game otherwise. Just those weird connection issues.
      First Civ3DG: 3rd and 4th Term Minister of Public Works. | Second Civ3DG: First Term Vice President | ISDG: Ambassador in the Foreign Affairs Ministry | Save Apolyton! Kill the Off-Topic Forum!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
      The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)

Comment

Gamespy games are almost always buggy, laggy, and problematic. Solution may be to try Directy IP games.

Comment

I have the same problem. It isn't b/c of machines with minimum specs, it just doesn't work.

We've had the following problems:

1) some people cannot connect to each other, but CAN connect to different games
          2) many games freeze at the "contacting host" screen
          3) there's duplicates / wrong player counts on the games lobby list
          4) the scrolling / update stuff is broken

So what's the deal with gamespy? Anyone have any fixes? There's not been enough talk about this.

But, direct IP works...

sd

Comment

I haven't been able to connect to any games through gamespy, though I have been able to play over direct IP.
            "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

I did not have a problem with Gamespy Civ4 two weekends ago (I got into three games, and played them all out until there was a resolution), but last weekend I had a hell of a time getting stuck on "contacting host", or if got in with the host I would get stuck on "contacting peer". I did manage to get in one game early in the morning that I hosted that had six players, but the game crashed at about 1000AD and nobody came back when I put the game back up (or they were unable to get back in perhaps).

I am hoping that last weekend's troubles were some temporary problem at GameSpy and not indicitave of what to expect from Civ4 Multiplayer over the long term. That, in addition with the crash bug in the lobby screen that forced me to hard reboot ten to twelve times between NOT being able to connect to a game had me so frustrated on Saturday that I just played single player on Sunday.
              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

I've also been having this problem. Sometimes I can join and sometimes I can't. I hope that it's just a small bug with the game that'll be fixed with the next patch because it's EXTREMELY frustrating.

Comment

Time to make people aware of this problem and get this crap handled!

I am sure this has been mentioned a million times. First off great game! I love every aspect of it, secondly gamespy =/ Every night when i get off work i spend about 1 - 2 hrs just trying to connect to someone to get in a game, i know it isnt just me becuase over half the room always seems...

Please post back me up here those guys there have no clue and the sad part is thats the forum firaxis watches over for problems they need to fix

Thanks!
                  Last edited by nirbush; December 16, 2005, 19:44.

Comment

Working...
                  X