LAN Game Socket Creation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN Game Socket Creation Problem

When I try to start a LAN game, I get an error that the messaging service couldn't start. I turned on logging, and I found the following:

[121412.375] DBG: HOSTING a MULTIPLAYER, NEW, LAN game!
    [121412.375] ERR: Could not find available local IP!!
    [121412.390] ERR: SockMgrThread encountered a socket error
    [121413.406] ERR: Network socket creation failed!!
    [121415.969] ERR: Update LAN Game List: No LAN Browser exists!
    [121418.844] WRN: Disconnecting from entire Peer Network!
    I've made sure that the appropriate ports are open, and have even turned off the firewall entirely, to no avail. Everyone in my department is having the same issue, though the sysadmin says that there are no blocked ports on the router.

Anyone else running into this problem? Any potential solutions?

So is this not a problem for anyone else, or is it just something for which nobody has any potential solutions? Sorry for the bump...

Comment

Well I've not seen this, I've played LAN games on my home LAN without a problem, is your LAN otherwise working? File an printer sharing working? Shared internet? Are you using the same workgroup name on all computers?

I'll bring this to the attention of the devs and see what the MP programmers think.

CS
      Global Admin/Owner
      Civilization Players Leagues
      www.civplayers.com
      http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

CanuckSoldier, thanks for the response. Our LAN otherwise works just fine... I print to a printer down the hall and use our communal fileshare practically every day. We're all on the same workgroup since we have to authenticate against it to log in to our machines locally.

Now that I think of it, might Kerberos authentication have something to do with it? It puts every machine on the same domain, at least.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

I'm also having this problem- if anyone knows anything about a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by napthali
            CanuckSoldier, thanks for the response. Our LAN otherwise works just fine... I print to a printer down the hall and use our communal fileshare practically every day. We're all on the same workgroup since we have to authenticate against it to log in to our machines locally.

Now that I think of it, might Kerberos authentication have something to do with it? It puts every machine on the same domain, at least.

Thanks again for the help!
            You seem to be on a Client/Server network, in which case the network permissions are controlled by the server which doesn't sound like it's letting port 2056 broadcast over the network, you'll have to talk with your network admin about this.

CS
            Global Admin/Owner
            www.civplayers.com
            http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

I'm having this problem too on my home network. CanuckSoldier, can you please tell me how to "let port 2056 broadcast over the network?" I have a Linksys router and a rudimentary understanding of how to make it do what I want, but I don't know how to do that.

Comment

If you post your exact router name and model I'll look up the manual and let you know how it's done with your specific router.

CS
                Global Admin/Owner
                www.civplayers.com

Comment

CanuckSoldier, thanks for your help. I've talked some more with our admin here, and he says there's no restrictions on anything within our network. The only source of control is the domain, but that only handles credentials for filesharing.

He said to clarify, we're on a domain, not a workgroup. Kerberos is just login authentication.

Does any of that make sense?

Comment

ok I'm not sure if that will cause CIV problems or not but I'll ask the programmers about that situation.

CS
                    Global Admin/Owner
                    www.civplayers.com

Comment

I actually have this same problem. I haven't been able to connect on a home LAN network although printing and file sharing work just fine. I also have a Linksys (WRT54G ver.2) and would love to know how to get this to work on over the LAN network.

Comment

hi all, i experience exactly the same problem -
                        [19316.195] ERR: Could not find available local IP!!
                        [19316.195] ERR: SockMgrThread encountered a socket error
                        [19317.195] ERR: Network socket creation failed!!

I tried wireless networking with static ip's we are on the same workgroup and network with correct subnet mask, I also tried crossed cable and i get the same. No third party firewall or antivirus program is installed and xp firewall is down. All other network services seem to be working fine(file sharing etc.) i also tested lan game with AOE 3 without problem. The patch is installed on both Pc's but i was getting the same eroor before applying the patch also.
                        Any idea what maybe the reason that causes this? Any fixes or workarounds?

Comment

Yeah, I had hoped the patch would address these issues (or perhaps actually make in-game sending for PBEM work), but looks like they were understandably prioritizing the more "game killer" bugs.

Guess I'll wait for the enxt patch...

Comment

Working...
                          X