Is Civ4 a decent duel game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ4 a decent duel game?

Because let's face it, Civ3 sucked in this regard. Civ2 in contrast was superb, and duel ladders abounded when the game was really hot, and still existed well after its peak. Being a decent duel game is just so crucial for prolonged MP success. So, those that are lucky enough to have played for a while, is it?

Cheers

Doc

Well, I didn't really think C3C sucked for dueling, so I guess I'm a lousy person to answer, but yes, I think CIV is excellent for dueling, with "head on" maps like Hub, "choose a route" maps like Wheel and Ring, and "any direction" maps like Pangea, Islands, Lake, etc. ::shrug:: For what it's worth, C4P boards are a better place for this kind of question.
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

As I just replied in the other thread (you are fast ) that site looks great, and I'll be along shortly when I get the game. If duels are good that is.

I'm curious seeing the size of the Civ3 MP community there actually. I hope I am not being too biased from experiencing early poor MP, that may have got better later.

If it's not too much trouble (I will try to read more) can you outline why you think Civ3 MP duels are good? I'm sure it can be fun, but does it really have the scope for skill (versus luck) to be a good competitive (as opposed to 'just' fun) MP game?

Comment

Well, perhaps to save us both time - what do you define as a "good" duel? What factors make for a good duel? That might make it easier to answer your question.

C3C MP was a lot better than the early days - that's most of the reason the community grew. The C4P community is growing by approximately 75 members a day, at last I heard. I've been too busy to keep tabs.
        Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Hmm, maybe I missed a trick by not playing C3C MP after seeing how bad MP was early on.

In terms of defining good MP play the overriding criterion is that skill has to be rewarded. In Civ3 (forgive me if anything has changed for the later versions I didn't play MP) this wasn't the case......too much resource luck.....the combat system wasn't at all suited to MP.....overall insufficient strategic diversity and scope for skill.

I checked out the MP forums - I see Eyes is entertaining you over there.

Comment

Since there are map files specifically coded to produce balanced maps and units are better balanced; I find C4 far superior to C3 for 1 v 1 play. There are sufficent unit types to overcome lack of immediate resources. The only unbalancing feature is the 5pt experience hut, gives one player an early advantage if popped by that initial warrior. But even that is not a biggie.
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

MP much improved later on. in PTW, the game was, who could get the aztecs first...

I havent tried CIV MP Yet, been trying to learn interface basic strat etc. Too Bad I would be able to cheese rush with the elephants this time...
              Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
              Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                Hmm, maybe I missed a trick by not playing C3C MP after seeing how bad MP was early on.

In terms of defining good MP play the overriding criterion is that skill has to be rewarded. In Civ3 (forgive me if anything has changed for the later versions I didn't play MP) this wasn't the case......too much resource luck.....the combat system wasn't at all suited to MP.....overall insufficient strategic diversity and scope for skill.

I checked out the MP forums - I see Eyes is entertaining you over there.
                I prefer to think of it as *we* are assimilating him And I have years of Civ2MGE experience to judge that with!

CS
                Global Admin/Owner
                Civilization Players Leagues
                www.civplayers.com
                http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Fried never replied about Civ3.

Comment

Civ4 is about the same as civ3 in regards to dueling. More of a builder game then a dueling game.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier
                      I prefer to think of it as *we* are assimilating him And I have years of Civ2MGE experience to judge that with!

CS
                      Well after I beat him down twice so far, he may have thrown in the towel in disgust. hehe, who knows. Whether Eyes likes the game or not depends on whether he wins or loses.

But try to assimilate him, hopefully he'll provide as much entertainment to the Civ4 crowd as he did to us Civ2ers.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yeah I saw your posts. Fancy a noob like you winning - the game must be broken!

I'm sitting here ears primed for the postie. Might be able to play you later Ozzy.

Comment

Honestly, EoN's board antics are - while within C4P's policy on vulgarity and rude behavior, since he doesn't target his ire at anyone but the game - rapidly heading towards a board ban. (He's very lucky we have an auto-word converter for some of his more choice phrases, though.)

The guy is quite literally just too cocky for his own good; and the kind of entertainment he wants to provide is not acceptable at C4P. We're trying to have a much wider age appeal (readarents aren't afraid to surf the site with their kids looking for CIV tips) than C3P had with its occasionally....colorful.... avatars and off-topic picture games.
                          Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Working...
                          X