Modding & Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding & Multiplayer

So often the "just mod it" cry is heard in these forums. And yet, to me and many (some?) others, that may not exactly work. Does anyone have information about how mods work with multiplayer?

As something of an anti-modder to begin with, I'm not particularly concerned with playing multiplayer games against other players who have the same mod. I would expect this to work as it did for MoO III (Bud Mod, because MoO III multiplayer was more or less ridiculous without it).

I am, however, concerned about how exactly files are modded. It would be nice to be able to try mods knowing that they will simply be ignored in multiplayer. Even better, it would be nice if I could mod Civ4 - and keep those mods while playing multiplayer if it could be determined that whatever mod I applied was not an "essential" mod but was a visual adjustment. For example, in Civ 3 the only mod I ever used changed what mines looked like. Shouldn't I be able to use such a mod in multiplayer games?

Can I dynamically select from various mods at run-time before I load/join a game? If not, can we mod that in? =P Can/Must the host's mod be dynamically distributed?

Help? As someone who views single-player as practice for really playing it'd be great to know these answers, or even which questions to ask. I realize that the multiplayer community is insignificant compared to everyone else, but it'd be great if some of these things could be worked out. However, aside from just my limited perspective, if multiplayer was somehow friendly to modders, then perhaps both communities would benefit.
    Caelicola

1) mods dont change the original files

2) there is an in-game (as well as a .ini settings) mod selector
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
    X