Promised Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promised Land

Forward: It has been a very long time since I wrote anything, so cut me a break. This should be interesting.

-

A.D. 1987

Under the orange hood of his Hazmat suit, Samuel Burns smiled, his reflection bouncing off the protective faceplate only made him chuckle.

The land was sheet glass, fused together in the infinite heat of the latest war.

He wanted to spit, spit on Rome, spit on their God, they couldn’t do a damned thing about it, he had beaten them all. He threw his fist in the air instead, some imagined referee awarding him the victory in this great match between him and this fallen nation.

In fact, he was so wrapped up in his imaginings that he never heard the hammer of the gun click behind his head.

-

A.D. 1208

The Domestic Advisor had been alive for thousands of years already, Elizabeth had granted him and the other advisors that.

They were locked in this Roman prison awaiting trial. The trials would be a sham, they all knew that, Elizabeth had already been found guilty of defying Roman Law by fighting for her kingdom, violating both the laws of Rome and their God by not surrendering her part of the Promised Land, as the Romans called it, some of the other advisors were worried that with Elizabeth they might all die, he wasn’t, he had accepted death at this point.

And so he was almost disappointed when he saw the body stop twitching from the noose, staring through his cell’s window. Some shouted in jubilation as they watched their queen die and they still lived, he was not so grim.

Footsteps in the hall, he turned away from the window.

“Sir,” the man was dressed as a Roman guard and he turned the key in the lock, though he was pale and blonde, which the Romans never were, “We need to get you out of here.”
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

More?
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

Chapter Two: Maybe a Little Backstory

I sat down to write chapter two and this story got REAL wierd REAL fast. I don't think it's going to get any less wierd either.

Chapter Two: Maybe a Little Backstory?

A.D. 1208

The boots were too small, that was his only concern.

The Roman guard that he had taken them from was dead, bleeding out what was left of him in the latrine of the prison, that hadn’t been a problem for him, the Romans weren’t people he had ever felt guilty about killing. But the damned shoes were too small.

The key clinked in the lock, “Sir,” he said.

The Domestic Advisor turned around.

“We need to get you out of here,” he continued.

The door swung open, the Domestic advisor looked at him, stunned for a moment, “Thomas?”

The man dressed in Rome’s color’s nodded, “Sir, there isn’t any time.”

The Domestic Advisor’s head was hung low, like a prisoner’s, and they walked through door after door, catching the occasional suspicious glance, but the uniform that Thomas had taken was sufficiently ornate to not have question’s posed to them until they passed the gallows, Elizabeth’s body beginning to grow rank in the sun.

“Sir, where are you taking the prisoner?”

Thomas turned towards the question, and the eyes.

“Briton!”

Swords were brought out as Thomas and the Domestic Advisor began to run, London had never been a walled city, and only the Roman barricades stood between them and freedom, they were manned entirely by Archers, equipped only with small knives and bows and lightly armored, Thomas began swinging the Gladius that he had taken from the officer as they ran through the archers, arrows from the few archers who had managed to prepare themselves bounced harmlessly off of his armor. They ran to the coast and the forest, where the Romans hadn’t yet been able to extend their influence and where they might be able to barter with a fisherman for escape.

As the Romans stopped the pursuit the Domestic Advisor turned to Thomas and they slowed.

“Sir?” Thomas asked breathlessly.

The arrows hadn’t bounced so harmlessly off of him, one had pierced his side and he began to collapse to the ground, huffing for air.

“Thomas, I am sorry, it was all for nothing.”

Tears started to stream down the younger man’s face, “Sir, I never even knew your name.”

“There is a power to names, Thomas,” The Domestic Advisor began to breathe more slowly as he looked up.

“Remember me as Samuel.”

And as he breathed his last breath, as the man dressed as a Roman leaned in to kiss his forehead and close his eyes a ship appeared and sailed in ever closer, the man knew the markings, it was a Persian trade ship.

-

A.D. 1987

The hammer clicked back, and Samuel Burns did not seem to notice.

The hand that held the old fashioned revolver was not covered in the Orange of a Hazmat suit, it was covered with radiation burns, “You son of a *****,” were the words that came out of the mouth behind the pistol.

Samuel Burns felt the gun pressing into his back and lifted both of his hands, not in victory, rather surrender.

“There’s no need for that, let’s discuss this like civilized men.”

There was silence, almost a sobbing, before the mouth behind the gun shouted, “DO I LOOK like a CIVILIZED man?”

And Samuel Burns turned, and looked into the face behind the gun and any thoughts of surrender were replaced by anger.
      Last edited by SKILORD; August 21, 2006, 18:47.
      Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

SKILORD is back!

w00t!!

Dude I'm getting the married in January! Send me a PM with your address so I can send you an invitation! (I'll read your story tonight after work)
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

More !!
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Agreed with Chrisius... MORE w00t!
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Well, if people are actually reading it then I guess I could find it in my heart to proceed. Ok, I'll get on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                More !!
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                X