The Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man

I have long shuddered at the thought of remembering that time, the time when my conscious was silent, and the time when I did the unthinkable. The thought that my past would find me, and would dictate terms I could not hope to pay for.

June 19, 1800 A.D., it was 200 years from the beginning of the war, the war which brought turmoil to the world, , it has been 20 long years since the siege and destruction of Machu Picchu, the event which I shudder at the thought of.
    I now own a large cow farm on the plains surrounding Jordanville, I work in peace, praying that my past does not come back to me, my day to day life is relatively peaceful. I am a senator in the Jordanville Provincial Counsel, which is apart of the new Jordanian Republic. My name? Well, it’s Jeff, Jeff Brigins.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Brigins was working with the herds, when his sons came running up to him, they were not older than 13, the youngest being 6. When he saw them coming, he smirked, as he usually did.
    “Father! Father! A post Rider has come for you!” Yelled the elder son.
    At this, his usual smirk turned to a unusual frightened surprise. Jeff then proceeded to greet the man.
    The man answered curtly, “Aye! The Counsel has been convened for certain matters, sir Brigins!”
    Jeff stared blankly, “For the war?” he inquired.
    “I believe so.” Answered the man.
    Jeff sighed, since the incident, he had not been so inclined towards war.
    At this silence, the man on the horse withdrew and said, “Good day sir!” And then went on his way.

That night, Jeff told his family the news, it was just his kids, since his wife had passed in giving birth.

The next day, he set out on his journey, when he got into the Counsel room, several men in sleek white wigs greeted him, after a brief talk, he sat down and the session began.

In the stuffy counsel room on a midsummer’s day, an imposing man, also with a white wig, yelled, “Counsel is now in Session!” and he then continued, “The matter for today is resolution 34!” The room was silent in the heat of the day, no one stirred, for fear of the imposing man. When he saw that the fear of him had silenced the crowd, he grinned, and again continued, “Here to present their case is Jordanian Regular Colonel Sam Salsby!” At this, the blank stare of the crowd shifted from the large man to a rather small and skimpy Colonel, when he saw the attention had turned himself, he started, “You all know very well, with the use of gunmen on horseback, we have pushed the Incans back to their capital-“

Then a man interrupted, “And why don’t we just leave them there?!”
    At this, a handful of “here-here’s” were heard. The large man gave an angry look towards the interrupter, and the interrupter then sunk down in his chair. The Colonel then persisted, “and to finish this job, we will need Jordanville’s aid!” Again someone was looking to interrupt, but the large man caught their gaze before, and made sure it didn’t happen. The Colonel, oblivious to all of this was continuing on his marry way, “Thus, I propose that Jordanville and the surrounding area, raises 5,000 militiamen for the continued cause of Jordania!”
    When the crowd was sure he was done, some of them said “Here here!” However, Brigins, who was respected by all men for his “Heroic” actions at Picchu, was still silent, and made eye contact with the imposing man, and then the imposing man asked, “Anything to say Mr. Brigins?”
    When Brigins stood up, the crowd reverently became quiet. “Know this, the only event for which I will fight will be defensive, This war is not my own!”
    A man, who did not have so much respect for Jeff, stated, “Whose war was it at Picchu?!” When Brigins heard this, he began to sweat more than ever, and the large man looked at the man, but before he said anything, the Colonel spoke up, “Brigins is a honorable man! I served with him in that campaign, and there is no other man I so highly trust!”

The man was out of the room as soon as the Colonel was done talking, and two men ran out the door to catch the man for his insubordinate behavior.

When the discussion and voting were over, Brigins put on his hat, and walked out the door, as soon as he was in the courtyard, a crier came out of the Counsel Hall and yelled, “35-15, The measure passes!” At this, Jeff looked down and sighed. At this, the hawks in the courtyard shot guns off in praise of the decision.

The judgement was still to come however……
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good, bad or otherwise?(Does kinda have the begining of the storyline of the Patriot, but, it is all orginal...)
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

good

and more please
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Good stuff!
      What?

Comment

Paddy, you move from Prince to Emperor to Warlord with such ease... i wish i had your talent!
        What?

Comment

all in my great Australian diplomatic skills
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, since there is some renewed interest in my story...

As Brigins was returning to his home, he passed through the hamlet of St. Johns, a town near to his animal farm, as he was passing through this friendly and peaceful town he was disturbed to see activity on the town green. A group of ragged looking men were attempting to do military maneuvers, and most of the town had come to observe the laughable site. As Jeff passed close to the green, he looked for the commander of this “Military Outfit”, and sure enough, as he thought, it was no other than one Jeb Sonnfield, the town Mayor, he was an arrogant fellow, stubborn, and quite large.

“Ahh, Mr. Brigins, do you care to join our Military outfit?” asked Sonnfield.

“You call that an outfit?” retorted Brigins.

“You may laugh now-“ he didn’t finish, as he saw the men attempting to march, but running into each other, when he saw this he sighed, “You know, we could use some help, maybe you could turn these misfits into at least a militia.”
            Brigins chuckled and said, “Not even the best could that” his face then turned more serious, and he continued, “This war is not my Jeb, and it is not theirs, or yours.”

When Jeb heard this, he screamed at his men, “TRY IT AGAIN, AND THIS TIME DON’T RUN INTO ANYBODY!”

The men, most of who thought they were doing a good job, were somewhat saddened by this comment, but tried again.

Jeb then turned back to Jeff, “Jeff, it is our cause, we will defend our land.”

When Jeff heard this, he got moving again on his horse.

When Jeff returned home, he made all his usual greetings in front of his grand white house, and asked if anything major had happened, but all was he had thought, nothing….

Two days later and Brigins was again settled into his home, it was early in the morning, and he with his best friend and employee, Johann Vergstun, were out surveying the pastures. As they looked to the west, they saw a very tiny cloud of dust on the horizon.

“What is that?” asked Johann in his usual accent.

Brigins gulped, but said nothing.

“Eh?” inquired Johann.

“I-I-Incans” Brigins stuttered.

Johann then answered, “Awaiting your orders!”

Brigins stared at the site, and told Johann, “Take all the workers and go to the city”

Johann, also staring said, “And of the Militia?”

Brigins said, “No, No, this does not involve them, Sonnfield would be stupid enough to fight them.”

But several of the workers had overheard the conversation, and were not as trustworthy as Johann. Many had already started for St. Johns.

It was now midday, and the Incans were a mile from the farm at most, Brigins had sent most of the supplies to Jordanville, while he and his sons were making last minute adjustments.
            As he was finishing, he heard drums, it was the Militia’s drummer…..

“Ohhh no, Ohhh no.” was all Jeff could utter.

He ran outside, and ran up to Sonnfield, who was, as all commanders do, leading his “Outfit”.

“Sonnfield!” yelled Jeff. “Don’t do this! Don’t throw away your life!”

Sonnfield stared indifferently at the approaching doom. But, he could utter a few words, and did, “We must, it is our duty!”

At this, his men raised their guns and shouted “HERE HERE” all in one voice, maybe they could be a militia.

Jeff again pleaded, “24 men on how many Incan warriors? You can’t win! Even with muskets, you don’t have enough training!”

Sonnfield stopped, and when he did the company did also, “Not enough training?!” he screamed.

“No possible way…” Jeff uttered.

Sonnfield continued on his death march. When Jeff saw he could not persuade the fool, he went into the upper room, there was one window, which happened to be towards the soon to be battle.

His thirteen and six year old both popped up and said, “Father?”

Jeff did not act surprised that his sons where with him. “Sonnfield is a fool, going that close to the Incans, there won’t be any survivors…”

Johann also popped out, along with some workers, who were all confident that the Musket fire would scare off the technological inferior Incans.

“You shouldn’t be here.” Exclaimed Jeff. The children were silent, along with the workers, as the battle began.

Sonnfield, in all his brilliance, formed his militia into two lines of twelve, when the Incan lines were in 100 Yards, he yelled:

“Fire!”

Everyone pulled their triggers, however the powder did not light, Sonnfield ordered again:

“FIRE!”

No shots, only one voice shouting, “The Powders wet!”

Some men, without orders, retreated, others, stronger than the rest, started to fix bayonets.

When Brigins saw this he shook his head, but he allowed his sons to watch…

Sonnfield’s expression said it all, a mixture of surprise and gloom, however, he was to proud to withdraw from his first battle.

Only about 2/3 of the Militia men fixed bayonets, but even with them, the Incan macemen crushed the mediocre force. Within 10 minutes, the militia men had been utterly annihilated. Sonnfield had been knocked out, and his neck slit.

The Incans came up to the Grand White house, and charismatically, Brigins denied them in Incan tongue, “You have no business here!”

The Incan Warrior in charge was a short skimpy man, much like the Colonel, but had sleek black hair in a pony tail, and was had many battle scars, and he replied, “O, but your business is our business sir, and your farm is doomed.” After the Incan had finished talking with Brigins, he hit Brigins with the backside of his mace stick, knocking him semi out, while he was laying in semi-consciousness, he heard the inaudible voice of the Incan man, and what he thought was a “No!” from one of his sons, but soon the blurry vision of his eyes turned to a black mist. He was out…
            Check out my Blog!

Comment

thank you kind Sir... thank you indeed
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

He stumbled to get up, and then looked around him, it was about four, the barn and house had been set on fire, most of the militia men were still laying lifeless on the ground, but this time it looked like someone was alive, Jeff staggered towards the man, and kneeled at his side.

“Ku, Ku-Cuzco…” was all the man uttered before he fell into his eternal sleep. Jeff stood back up, and noticed Johann’s hat on the ground, he went and picked it up. He stroked the weaving of the hat.

He looked up, looked on the horizon with a thoughtful gaze, and made the decision he had to make.

He ran into the blazing furnace which use to be his barn, and ran towards the cabinet. When he got there, he opened the door, and stared at one of the muskets in the cabinet. As he looked at it, a very eerie feeling came over him. He was spooked, and looked over his shoulder, he saw no one. Again he looked at the musket, fighting the demons within himself.
                “I must overcome.” He said to himself, for it was the musket from Machu. He slung it over his back, seized another musket, and grabbed his tomahawk.

He then ran out of the barn and looked in the fields, the Incans had murdered all the horses, he looked again, and he counted aloud, “ two, four, seven” he realized one was missing, he then looked in the south field. He saw his horse, and ran to it. Once he had saddled up, he set out on his long journey.

It had been six days since he had gotten his bruise, and had lost his farm, but he knew it was getting rebuilt by Jordanian Workers.

On the sixth day he also arrived at the Jordanian High Command of Cuzco Area. Despite its long name, it was in reality a white canvas tent, nothing special. Around this area, Militia men and Regulars were training alike, for the soon to be assault on the City.

He dismounted, and attempted to enter the tent, but was stopped by two small milita men.

“No sir!” One of the guards said.

“I am Jeff Brigins, and”- was all he could get out.

The same guard interrupted, “Right this way!”

He entered the white tent, and was greeted by the skimpy Colonel Salsby, who was quick to thank him for his assistance.

“What changed your mind?” Inquired Salsby.

“Certain events” Jeff said with a somber cloud around his head.

Salsby saw this, and refrained from further discussion on this topic.

Salsby began to relay the daring assault to Brigins, but had difficulty, so he showed him the map,

and Brigins nodded in agreement to the plans.

Salsby then said, “Brigins, would you be willing to lead the strike force?”

When Jeff heard this he was surprised, and sighed in his usual manor. He then put aside his reluctance, and volunteered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Last edited by Smellycowsquid; June 9, 2006, 19:21.
                Check out my Blog!

Comment

The night before the attack came, and the forces prepared themselves. Sitting around a campfire were many of the men which Jeff would lead, one of the younger ones, who did not know of the events, asked,

“So, What is the infamous incident which happened at Machu?”

When the older men heard this, they became silent from their merriment, some looked to Jeff, others turned away.

There was a long silence, the young man was about to turn away, but Jeff, staring dreamy-eyed into the fire, began to relate the story.

“It had been a long siege, many of us were angry and upset because of this, and just plain not to happy with the Incans, though, I provide no excuse for any actions.”

Jeff looked back to the young man, and continued.

“It was around the third month, and some of our patrols thought they found a weak spot in the city walls, we started to make siege ladders, and a battering ram, while, the cities back home were aiding us with catapults. It was only a month later, and bad intelligence had not told us the change in the enemy’s defense. And so, we prepared are doomed raid.”

When the old men heard this, most of them made a noisy grunt, some, who hadn’t walked away, did, and now it was only Jeff and the young man.

“We pressed the attack, and the catapults reigned down doom from above, our ram had made it to the gate, and was attempting to knock it down, the siege ladders were successful, and many men, including myself, climbed them. Once the outer walls had fallen to our control, the military men fled to the middle of the city, where the Keep of the Confucianism was. The remaining men, along with the temple guard, were to make their last stand there, while they retreated, our men moved in, no one was safe, everyone killed, everything destroyed, nothing was spared, once everything which had amused us was destroyed, we moved against the keep with our battering ram, I was one of the men who was first through.”

Jeff sighed, “I moved to the Shrine, along with some men, and killed all the priests, we slit their throats, and mutilated them.” Jeff had had a disgusted look upon his face, “None survived, no animals, no anything.”

The next night, and Jeff was leading the assault, he had meet the other squad in the forest, and was laying in attacking position, waiting for the signal from the main force, his squad of engineers had already made the preparations for the assault on the back gate, all was ready.

The ninth hour arrived, and the night guard of the city was on duty, Jeff knew the battle would be starting, and prepared his men.

Now the tenth hour, a strange feeling came upon Jeff, it was the eerie feeling from Machu, though, this battle would not haunt him. While he was thinking he heard in the distance,

“AIM!”

“FIRE!!!”

After this, many shots were heard, the city’s defensemen were caught off guard, and those guarding the back gate were called to help defend, Jeff then said to his aid, “Light it”

Jeff’s aid nodded to one of the engineers, and he lit the fuse. Just a matter of seconds, a explosion rocked the city’s back gate. The elite squad moved in, and neutralized most of the defensemen, once this was done, the city was taken.

With the city taken, all hope for the Incan Empire had faded, the city was razed, and the Incans conquered, which left the Jordanians alone.
                  ----------------------------------

Sorry, I had to end it quick….
                  Check out my Blog!

Comment

all is good mate

nice work
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                    X