Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redemption

Ivan Ostopovich sat on the walls of Novogrod deep in prayer. The German army led by Bismarck had thoroughly destroyed his former home of Moscow, and had set up a bastardized city known as Hamburg in it's place. This was Russia's last city, the only thing of note was the Church of the Nativity that had been constructed here many years ago. He wondered, as did many, if Jesus Christ was angry with them, or just wanted them to realize that they can do nothing without him.

"Although being devout may not save my country, it can still save me" Ivan thought, and prayed more fervently, confessing his sins and nearly coming to tears when recalling Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

--------
    Yuri Schmidt sat on his damaged artillery piece to get five minutes respite from the battle of Novogrod before setting to work on fixing it. The anticipated Russian winter was late in coming this year, and the barrels of the artillery were warping from the combined heat of the constant bombarding and the indian summer that made their winter uniforms uncomfortable and cumbersome. Most men had stripped to bare chests while operating the artillery, but as Yuri sat there atop the cooling gun, he was thankful to have his coat.

Strange chills had been coming to Yuri more and more ever since the destruction of Moscow. There was something about bombing a religious temple filled with people (even if they were the enemy) that upset him.

"Yuri! The gun's cool enough! Get the sledge and pound it back in place!"

He appreciated Colonel Frecht, the only way to solve a problem was with a hammer, which usually led to humourous exploits by his unit. He swung the sledge like a pendulum, adding force with each upswing so that eventually it landed on the bottom of the gun and it jerked upwards. Well, the results were less than pretty, but a quick diameter check indicated that it was shootin' time once more.

-------------

Ivan's prayers were interrupted by a flash on the horizon followed quickly by a high pitched whistle.

"INCOMI---" it was all he could get out before the shell hit the base of the wall.

Ivan ran as fast as he could to get away from his former post that was now crumbling away like a graham cracker.

Ivan made his way down into the armory, where all the modern weapons were long gone. He found an old hand musket, and a long pike that used to belong to Peter the Great, as a result it was well maintained. Ivan knew that the Great one would want his weapon to taste blood once more.

He ran out of the fortification over the rubble that had once been his post, taking the secret wooded paths that his superiors had made him memorize in case a guerilla war needed to be fought. His aim was he hill that he had seen flash. He knew the place well, it was where the Russians had Crucified Jesus, and now to be attacked from there, it had to be a sign from God, or the Devil himself.

He saw the German artillery surrounded by shirtless men who were swearing in the barbaric German tongue and, even curiouser, were hitting their gun with a sledgehammer.

"Crazy Germans," Ivan thought, "with shoddy guns like this we could win easily"

Using the darkness as his cover, he snuck up behind three gunners wheo were taking a break and passing a cigarette around in a circle.

Ivan's heart pounded as he realized what he was about to do, hopefully Jesus Christ would be able to forgive him.

Peter the Great's spear shot through both lungs of the man closest to Ivan and then was twisted and withdrawn. The German lay on the ground coughing up blood and choking to death. Ivan had no time to mourn his enemy though, the other two Germans saw this as well, Ivan used the spear on the soldier who stared motionless at his fallen comrade. "Probably his first observed casualty," Ivan thought before impaling him with the spear that had killed his friend. The other soldier had begun running back towards the artillery piece when Ivan raised the pistol, aimed for the head, and fired. The man's spine exploded and he fell down, instantly paralyzed. "Curse my training with modern weapons!" Ivan thought as he noticed that his shot had landed a foot lower than he had aimed.

---------------

Well, what do y'all think? Feedback = more story, No feedback = no more story.
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

purty good Turtle!
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

nice going and good to see how youre molding the games religions, be interesting to see how this develops.

Just for background is this based on a particular SP game and if so which civ are you playing, or is it just based off of the game as a basis for the backdrop to the story.

Ivan is obviuosly about to defeat a artillery piece, I must say i preferred being able to capture these in civ3 though zero defence was perhaps too easy. Of cause it made for added strategy as you had to protect your guns.
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

No game, it's all in my head, pretty much the spawn of procrastination on my part.
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Ivan and the Artillery

Ivan had some rudimentary training with artillery and he knew how to read the coordinates. He began turning the lateral crank, orienting the damaged artillery piece towards the german stack to the west, hopefully one shot'll...

CRACK!

A bullet whizzed past Ivan's head and shorted out the aiming mechanism on the artillery piece. Ivan turned to see Yuri loading a second cartridge into his rifle.

"Yuri!" Ivan exclaimed, "It's your cousin Ivan!"

"Ivan?!" "Why did you kill my artillery group?" He was actually glad, this was more of a break than usual, he couldn't repair the gun on his own, and he found a relative as well.

"They are attacking the city of the Lord!" "That shrine you guys knocked down to aim your artillery marked the very place where he was crucified!"

Yuri was surprised at this, he knew that his German commanders didn't let them know the names of the cities that they were attacking for a reason, but he never would've thought that the reason was to destroy holy places. Yuri knew that he and Ivan's situation wasn't unique, this artillery unit was made up of many russians who happened to be from a city who felt more in-line with German culture than Russian culture. The result was second-class Russo-Germanians who get put on the front lines against their former homeland. He now knew why Frecht thought it so funny when the men congratulated themselves on destroying a target. Piece by piece they dismantled their culture from underneath them, while the German oppressors looked down and laughed.

'I must tell the others," said Yuri, "we need to turn these guns around."

Yuri quickly ran towards a neighboring machine gun, and after a heated discussion, all the shirtless men quickly picked up rifles and shot the Colonel who was barking orders at them. Then each man ran in a different direction, and similar scenes were soon happening all around.

Novogrod was getting concerned about the sudden quieting down of the enemy guns, they had sent a guerilla party, but the guard on the north tower had reported all of them killed in action.

---------------------

Several hours later, all the guns had finished firing, and the people of Novogrod could see a lot of activity atop the Hill of the Lord. Soon blinding white anti-aircraft spotlights illuminated something on the hill.

The people of Novogrod were overjoyed to see a cross built of artillery barrels.

Soon Ivan was leading a procession, Peter's spear held high above his head, of shirtless men pulling artillery pieces towards Novogrod.

It was soon explained why the men had defected, a pile of the killed officers was set ablaze beneath the new cross and the influx of troops provided valuable information about German army procedure as well as the amount of German reinforcements the men expected to see.

Ivan, of course, was rewarded handsomely and was given the titles of Defender of the Faith and Bringer of Hope. His first proclaimation urged the people of Novogrod to spend a day of prayer and fasting to ask the Lord for divine deliverance from these foreign devils.

The artillery crews worked fervently to repair the wall that they had destroyed as their way of apologizing to their former motherland. As the last brick was laid in place the alarm was sounded.

German regulars had come expecting to find their artillery crew bombarding a defeated city. Instead they saw a powerful bunker that was formidable to say the least. A large banner read : Novogrod, the city of the Lord Jesus Christ, the one true God over all others will not fall to godless men!

-------------
          that's all for now. Feedback?

Comment

Wow, not a single orgy! Definitely something is different about the turtle man, and a moderator at that. I'm just stoppin by apolyton for a quickie after months or years of not being here and I see one lonely name left I recognize. That is a different flavor to be sure. Kinduv like eating grapefruit right after brushing your teeth with a harsh mint gel.
            Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Check out my Blog!

Comment

the United Nations of Damaged Feet good to see you Scrtach
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, I'm hooked.

Great story so far

Comment

Any more?
                    Check out my Blog!

Comment

not sure where to go with it...

Comment

Maybe watch some movies, especially ww2 movies with German/Russian action, plenty of factual matter there for imaginative mind as yours to work with.

Perhaps Ivan should be closely modelled on a biblical character, I was thinking moses but perhaps too out of sync as he was old testament.

Part 2 was very good btw, you must write more after such a good start

Perhaps Paul ?
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                        X